Help-Hard drive or software problem???

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by victor voul, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. victor voul

    victor voul Guest

    Every time I start my PC (Dell 8200 1.8 gig with XP) it goes into
    check disk mode.
    A light blue screen comes on after the Welcome XP logo with the
    following message.
    "Checking file system on C. One of your disks needs to be checked for
    consistency.
    You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended you
    continue.
    To skip disk checking press any key within 10 seconds.
    Check Disk is verifying files stage 1 of 3"

    The first stage of Check disk completes THEN a blue screen appears
    with a page long message with white type for about 1/2 second so I
    can't read the message. The cycle starts all over again.(Is there any
    way to freeze this message, so I can at least read it??)
    The above cycle goes into a repeat mode over and over.

    By pressing any key within the beginning of the first screen I can get
    out of he check disk mode, and my PC seemingly works okay
    I have attempted to go into check disk manually via my computer>local
    disk C>Properties>Tools and this also results in the completion of
    ONLY the first stage
    And
    Running check disk manually with the chkdsk command in DOS terminates
    after the first two stages. Now I have found I can't run defrag
    either. When I attempt to defrag I get a message that chkdsk is
    scheduled to run on C, please run Chkdsk/f.
    I do that and chkdsk AGAIN cannot complete.

    Can anyone please help me with this frustrating problem?
    Thanks for your help!

    victor voul, Nov 29, 2003

  2. victor voul

    Wizard Guest

    I would recommend that you boot to the repair console and do your
    repairs there .. soon.

    Wizard, Nov 29, 2003