Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anthropy, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Anthropy

    Anthropy Guest

    Hi all.
    Here's a strange one ( for me anyway)
    My girlfriends PC needed a bigger hard drive so I installed one. The
    PC is P2, 550, Win98se. So I installed H\D, formatted and installed
    Win98se. When Win98 completes install, it reboots and tells me there
    is an error in the registry and it needs to fix it, please reboot. So
    I reboot, the registry is fixed. No, the same error message comes up.
    Repeat........

    Also I have attempted to install Directx 8 which seems to install but
    after reboot its gone back to directx 6 that comes with the Win98
    installation. The original 6Gb H\D win98se installation had Directx 8
    on it.

    Before the H\D change this machine worked fine. The only thing that
    has changed is the H\D. The old H\D was 6Gb and the new one is
    24Gb(UDMA2). I have automatically detected the new H\D in the Bios.
    Before formatting I deleted all DOS partitions and created new ones.
    I've even Fdisked the MBR as the old OS on the bigger H\D was XP Pro.

    Incidentally (or not) I tried to use the "low level format" utility on
    "PC Cillian" which I normally use if I really want to clean a H\D. It
    wouldn't run. It stops when it tries to load the ATAPI Driver.

    I know the bigger H\D. Its just came out of my own machine so I know
    it works. I use this copy of Win98 on all machines so I know it's ok

    I'm sure all these clues point to a solution but I can't see it.
    Any ideas or help appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Anthropy, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Anthropy

    Unk Guest

    It could be bad memory. Check the following:

    Registry Checker Continues to Detect Registry Damage:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186909

    Download DocMemory from http://www.simmtester.com and run it to
    test your RAM. (As best as software can, anyway.)

    Unk, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Anthropy

    Ron Martell Guest

    Anthropy <> wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >Here's a strange one ( for me anyway)
    >My girlfriends PC needed a bigger hard drive so I installed one. The
    >PC is P2, 550, Win98se. So I installed H\D, formatted and installed
    >Win98se. When Win98 completes install, it reboots and tells me there
    >is an error in the registry and it needs to fix it, please reboot. So
    >I reboot, the registry is fixed. No, the same error message comes up.
    >Repeat........
    >
    >Also I have attempted to install Directx 8 which seems to install but
    >after reboot its gone back to directx 6 that comes with the Win98
    >installation. The original 6Gb H\D win98se installation had Directx 8
    >on it.
    >
    >Before the H\D change this machine worked fine. The only thing that
    >has changed is the H\D. The old H\D was 6Gb and the new one is
    >24Gb(UDMA2). I have automatically detected the new H\D in the Bios.
    >Before formatting I deleted all DOS partitions and created new ones.
    >I've even Fdisked the MBR as the old OS on the bigger H\D was XP Pro.
    >
    >Incidentally (or not) I tried to use the "low level format" utility on
    >"PC Cillian" which I normally use if I really want to clean a H\D. It
    >wouldn't run. It stops when it tries to load the ATAPI Driver.
    >
    >I know the bigger H\D. Its just came out of my own machine so I know
    >it works. I use this copy of Win98 on all machines so I know it's ok
    >
    >I'm sure all these clues point to a solution but I can't see it.
    >Any ideas or help appreciated.
    >Thanks.

    Check the manufacturer's documentation for the computer motherboard.

    Older system such as this often had an 8 gb limit on the size of the
    hard drive and will not access the drive properly (or sometimes not at
    all) if it is larger than 8 gb.

    Also check with the motherboard manufacturer for a flash BIOS update
    for your exact model of motherboard (careful - applying a BIOS update
    for the wrong motherboard model can leave you with an unusable
    computer).

    If that does not resolve the issue then go to the new hard driver
    manufacturer's web site and get their BIOS overlay utility which
    allows newer high capacity hard drives to be used with older
    motherboards (EZ-Drive, Disk Manager, MaxBlast are some of the more
    common names for these types of utilities).

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Was the new hard drive formatted in fat 32 or NTFS? You said that it had XP
    PRO on it. If it was formateed in NTFS, Win98 will not "see" it. Convert
    it back to fat32 and everything should work.

    Paul J. Veres, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Anthropy

    Anthropy Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:33:25 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
    <> wrote:

    >Was the new hard drive formatted in fat 32 or NTFS? You said that it had XP
    >PRO on it. If it was formateed in NTFS, Win98 will not "see" it. Convert
    >it back to fat32 and everything should work.

    It was formatted with FAT 32.
    Thanks for the help.
    So far things tend to be leaning toward a Mobo that can't see a H\D
    above 8 gig. I've tried using overlays before but they tend to slow
    the machine down to much.
    Although I have detected the H\D and it is listed in boot up it is not
    present, well none of the details i.e cylinders,heads etc in the bios.
    The size and name are there but no details.
    The jumpers are set correctly (master) and it a single H\D with no
    partitions.
    One of the error messages stated there was a long filename problem and
    to run windows scandisk to solve it.. Didn't work.
    Thanks all for the help.

    Anthropy, Feb 24, 2004