Help: H.248/MGCP protocol vs SIP for SS7 interworking

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by jmiklo, May 11, 2006.

  1. jmiklo

    jmiklo Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to explain something to myself so I'd appreciate someone shed
    some light on this ...
    Suppose we have softswitch (SS) with media gateway (MG) and signalling
    gateway (SG). I.e call is coming from PSTN and ISUP IAM message is coming
    via signalling link to SG.
    Inside that ISUP message there is CIC (Circuit Identification Code) saying
    which channel will be used on specific E1 link for voice/media. If
    signalling gateway has M3UA implemented, ISUP message is extracted and sent
    to SS (MGC - Media Gateway Controller).
    Now MGC needs to control/activate that specific channel inside E1 links on
    media gateway. Af far as I can see only master/slave voip protocols like
    MGCP/H.248 can implement this, i.e. control specific channel on specific
    port (i.e. channel 21 on second E1). It couldn't be done via SIP ? Or it
    could ?
    My point is, if everything is goind sip way, why is MGCP/Megaco still
    heavily used for controlling media gateways (when interconnecting with SS7
    networks).

    thanks,
    jmiklo

    jmiklo, May 11, 2006

  2. jmiklo

    Guest

    SIP is for VoIP - for VoIP calls it is still a necessity to have an
    interface between that and the PSTN systems. This is where MGCP comes
    in. Ultimately I would say it is a vendor decision to incorporate some
    form of gateway interface into their system or not. I believe NuEra's
    soft switch system has the ability to breakout into the PSTN network,
    and the obvious big players have incorporated this functionality
    (Ericsson Cisco (CCM V5 for SIp) etc) but other pure SIP systems cannot
    and rely on others for their breakout capability.

    It is a good point and something I had previously been ignorant of!
    Typical you work with this stuff all the time and ignore the obvious
    things.

    , May 16, 2006