    in sRGB is this even a valid test?

    Cliff

    http://www.cliffspicer.com/colour_test.jpg

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Cliff Spicer

    Silvio Dante Guest

    "Cliff Spicer" <> staggered into the Bada Bing
    and slurred:

    >As you can see from the sample the two images have
    >different colours and I find the sRGB one more pleasing. Can someone who
    >understands colour management take a look and tell me what is going on and
    >which image you feel is more pleasing.

    I am no expert but to me it looks like the sRGB photo has slightly more red
    in it. Perhaps the flowers threw off the color balance of the whole photo.
    They both look fine to me though. The subject just looks like she's been in
    the sun for an hour in the sRGB photo, compared to the other one.

    "She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."

    Silvio Dante, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Cliff Spicer

    Photon Guest

    The main purpose of AdobeRGB is to have a wider gamut to work with, during
    photo editing.

    If you open both images in Photoshop 6 or 7, they should look identical as
    the colour management engine should take care of all color space
    transformation.

    However, AdobeRGB is not particularly intended for output (unless that's
    what the output device is profiled to). For the web, you should concvert
    your image back to sRGB. For printing, you should use whatever profile is
    adapted to your printer and paper in the "Print with preview" dialog from
    Photoshop.

    It is quite normal that an image saved in AdobeRGB looks a bit dull in a
    non-color management aware application such as Internet Explorer.

    If your camera uses sRGB and your output is usually the web, choosing sRGB
    as working space may be simpler and less confusing. In that case, there
    would be little point of using AdobeRGB.

    "Cliff Spicer" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been reading that AdobeRGB colour space is capable of capturing a
    > wider colour gamut than sRBG so I wanted to do a non scientific test. I

    shot
    > a jpg image with my S2pro (which captures images only in sRGB unless
    > shooting RAW) which I brought into Photoshop and left the images color

    space
    > alone (just left it in sRGB) and the other image I converted to Adobe RGB
    > when I opened the image. As you can see from the sample the two images

    have
    > different colours and I find the sRGB one more pleasing. Can someone who
    > understands colour management take a look and tell me what is going on and
    > which image you feel is more pleasing. As well since my camera only

    captures

    Photon, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Something related, but indirectly. I use Capture One DSLR LE with my Canon
    EOS 10D. In it, I set Wide RGB as my workspace. I then convert my RAW images
    to 16-bit TIFF's and load them into Photoshop 7.0.1 which also has Wide RGB
    set as the work space. Now I set up a soft proof to see what the image will
    look like if converted to Adobe RGB. I also turn on gamut warning, which is
    set to a neon green so that out of gamut areas show up better. In many
    cases, it appears Adobe RGB is unable to completely encompass the RAW color
    output from my camera because I get warnings on highly saturated reds,
    oranges, yellows, and greens (dark and light). Soft proofing sRGB is much
    much worse, showing that lot's of out of gamut colors my camera can capture
    will be lost if I were convert to sRGB. So I'm stuck debating which to use
    as my work space; Adobe RGB or Wide Gamut. Logically, if I want to go truly
    archival and make sure that I'm not losing any of the colors my camera can
    produce, Wide RGB should be my choice. But I've also read that there can be
    problems using this color space because it is so big. On the other hand,
    I've also noticed that when working in Wide RGB and soft proofing for
    printers like the Frontier and Noritsu, it says no colors are out of gamut,
    meaning these printers can reproduce all the colors that are there. If I
    knew more about color management, I'd probably make my own custom workspace
    just for working on 10D files, but unfortunately I can't. So what say the
    color management geeks based on the info I've presented? Wide RGB or Adobe
    RGB?

    By the way, if anyone is interested I found a cool site that let's you
    upload profiles and compare them in 3D, all via the web browser and for
    free:

    http://www.iccview.de/index.htm

    Katie Piecrust, Jul 23, 2003
  5. "Cliff Spicer" <> wrote in message
    > I shot a jpg image with my S2pro (which captures images only in sRGB

    unless
    > shooting RAW) which I brought into Photoshop and left the images color

    space
    > alone (just left it in sRGB) and the other image I converted to Adobe RGB
    > when I opened the image. As you can see from the sample the two images

    have
    > different colours and I find the sRGB one more pleasing.

    I'm not sure what the single image you supply is supposed to prove. An
    image that you convert in Photoshop to AdobeRGB will not look much different
    to the sRGB original when you view it in Photoshop. (Clicking the preview
    option on and off when you are converting it should demonstrate that). If
    the files are tagged with their respective profiles when saved, any colour
    managed application that opens them should display similar colours on the
    monitor. OTOH, if you just open the files in a browser such as IE6 (not
    colour managed), the files will look different. because the Adobe RGB file
    needs converting to the sRGB colour space. This is why when you use the
    Save for Web option you should convert the image to sRGB first.

    John

    John Houghton, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Cliff Spicer

    Cliff Spicer Guest

    > I'm not sure what the single image you supply is supposed to prove. An
    > image that you convert in Photoshop to AdobeRGB will not look much

    different
    > to the sRGB original when you view it in Photoshop.

    Hi John,

    Thanks for your reply but I guess you missed the point or I didn't explain
    it well. It was opened in PS (color managed environment) and the embedded
    profile (sRGB) was ignored and Adobe RGB was assigned as the new profile.
    Then the two images were compared in Photoshop and they looked considerable
    different. This difference is also apparent in IE even though it is not a
    managed app. My question was best answered by Tom in that by converting from
    one space to another I am clipping my colour gamut yet I am not sure how
    going from a narrow (sRGB) colour space and converting to a wider one(adobe
    RGB) is throwing away info but he did say it would be compressed so maybe
    that explains the flat colours, but I will need to look at the document he
    suggested.

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 23, 2003