    online with the machine, and I'll give her a weekly/monthly "to do" list
    of maintenance items. That should make it as safe as possible for her.

    Thanks.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > I'm sorry that I don't have sufficient information ... I don't even know
    > what flavor of Windows we're dealing with here ... but here's the
    > situation:
    >
    > One of the nurtzes here, a very nice lady, just got a computer for her
    > daughter. Fortunately (gasp) it is NOT connected to the Internet yet.
    >
    > What I would like is advice on how to safeguard Internet Explorer (in
    > other words, the specific path through the menus to turn off ActiveX,
    > disable automatic installation of programs, etc., etc.) until I can get
    > her a CDROM of Mozilla and other needed software. Your consensus on
    > the current best antivirus, spyware scanner(s), etc. is also solicited.
    > (Don't you call me a solicitator!)
    >
    > The idea is that she can do all this prophylactic shit before she goes
    > online with the machine, and I'll give her a weekly/monthly "to do" list
    > of maintenance items. That should make it as safe as possible for her.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hey Gary, how's things going? Haven't seen you here for a while. You've
    got the right idea, just have her patch Windows up to date as much as
    possible, download the latest Firefox and Thunderbird to surf the web
    and to use email/Usenet. Biggest no-no, don't do stupid stuff like
    downloading warez and shit. She should be fine. Once you've done all
    that, you don't need to worry about menu options in IE/OE. As you've
    probably picked up on, even if you're patched all the way up through
    day-after-tomorrow, you're still vulnerable using IE/OE.

    Make sure you have a good antivirus running and use two or three
    antispyware programs like MS Antispyware, Spybot, and/or Adaware.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    PC Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sorry that I don't have sufficient information ... I don't even know
    > what flavor of Windows we're dealing with here ... but here's the
    > situation:
    >
    > One of the nurtzes here, a very nice lady, just got a computer for her
    > daughter. Fortunately (gasp) it is NOT connected to the Internet yet.
    >
    > What I would like is advice on how to safeguard Internet Explorer (in
    > other words, the specific path through the menus to turn off ActiveX,
    > disable automatic installation of programs, etc., etc.) until I can get
    > her a CDROM of Mozilla and other needed software. Your consensus on
    > the current best antivirus, spyware scanner(s), etc. is also solicited.
    > (Don't you call me a solicitator!)
    >
    > The idea is that she can do all this prophylactic shit before she goes
    > online with the machine, and I'll give her a weekly/monthly "to do" list
    > of maintenance items. That should make it as safe as possible for her.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, Click on the Internet Icon (world)
    and then the 'Customise' button.
    To many to list but in general all unsigned to Disable, signed to Prompt.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Gary G. Taylor

    old jon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >> I'm sorry that I don't have sufficient information ... I don't even know
    >> what flavor of Windows we're dealing with here ... but here's the
    >> situation:
    >>
    >> One of the nurtzes here, a very nice lady, just got a computer for her
    >> daughter. Fortunately (gasp) it is NOT connected to the Internet yet.
    >>
    >> What I would like is advice on how to safeguard Internet Explorer (in
    >> other words, the specific path through the menus to turn off ActiveX,
    >> disable automatic installation of programs, etc., etc.) until I can get
    >> her a CDROM of Mozilla and other needed software. Your consensus on
    >> the current best antivirus, spyware scanner(s), etc. is also solicited.
    >> (Don't you call me a solicitator!)
    >>
    >> The idea is that she can do all this prophylactic shit before she goes
    >> online with the machine, and I'll give her a weekly/monthly "to do" list
    >> of maintenance items. That should make it as safe as possible for her.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Hey Gary, how's things going? Haven't seen you here for a while. You've
    > got the right idea, just have her patch Windows up to date as much as
    > possible, download the latest Firefox and Thunderbird to surf the web and
    > to use email/Usenet. Biggest no-no, don't do stupid stuff like downloading
    > warez and shit. She should be fine. Once you've done all that, you don't
    > need to worry about menu options in IE/OE. As you've probably picked up
    > on, even if you're patched all the way up through day-after-tomorrow,
    > you're still vulnerable using IE/OE.
    >
    > Make sure you have a good antivirus running and use two or three
    > antispyware programs like MS Antispyware, Spybot, and/or Adaware.

    Methinks Roger has found what he`s good at. Giving good advice.
    Why would he want a new challenge for 2006 ?.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Jan 2, 2006
  5. old jon wrote:

    > Methinks Roger has found what he`s good at. Giving good advice.
    > Why would he want a new challenge for 2006 ?.
    > bw..OJ

    Sometimes it's a lot easier talking to people you know than trying to
    convert complete idiots. Of course, if you've been following my
    prescient posts for the past 12 years, you'd know my position. Have a
    good new year.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Gary G. Taylor

    old jon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > old jon wrote:
    >
    >> Methinks Roger has found what he`s good at. Giving good advice.
    >> Why would he want a new challenge for 2006 ?.
    >> bw..OJ

    > Sometimes it's a lot easier talking to people you know than trying to
    > convert complete idiots. Of course, if you've been following my prescient
    > posts for the past 12 years, you'd know my position. Have a good new year.

    Methinks you thoroughly enjoy the `conversion` process you old rascal.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > The idea is that she can do all this prophylactic shit before she goes
    > online

    Don't forget a firewall ...

    --
    -bts