help for newbie , wanting to use a 0845 number then redirect to my mobile via voip or similar ......

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave T, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. Dave T

    Dave T Guest

    help for newbie , wanting to use a 0845 number then redirect to my mobile
    via voip or similar ......

    I was reading this months PC Format magazine and one of the freebies on the
    cover disc is a program called 3cx phone system 3,

    i've no idea how to set it up and it looks as if it does loads more than i
    need but might be a bit overkill , i have a friend that might be able to set
    it up , but not sure its what i need to do the job ?, but its what sparked
    the idea ....

    i guess its a fairly simple concept for the all knowing voip/telcom expets ,
    so i thought i'd ask you guys.

    i'm needing a 0845 type number , the ability to redirect to my mobile number
    or landline or to my voip number depending on the day.

    basically , whats the cheapest method for a 0845 type number (dont like the
    idea of the odd landline type numbers skype etc can offer) to redirect to my
    choosen number on the day, some days i'm out all day so its mobile , some
    days

    i'm at one location all day and other days i'm at the 2nd location all day
    or even a mixture of all three , so i need the ability to easily update the
    number for the 0845 to redirect to , voip, landline , mobile .

    cost is very important , i already have the phone line , i also have a
    voip.co.uk account / skpye account .

    i'm willing to reconsider using 0845 , but do need something similar as i
    believe that the 0845 number is etched into peoples minds as a local rate
    number , the offerings from skype for a landline number look forgein and i
    dont want people thinking there making a call to a frogein phone number
    ,when where based in the u.k.

    all help and links welcomed
    Dave T, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Dave T

    Dave T Guest

    "Dave T" <> wrote in message
    > help for newbie , wanting to use a 0845 number then redirect to my mobile
    > via voip or similar ......
    >
    > I was reading this months PC Format magazine and one of the freebies on
    > the cover disc is a program called 3cx phone system 3,
    >
    > i've no idea how to set it up and it looks as if it does loads more than i
    > need but might be a bit overkill , i have a friend that might be able to
    > set it up , but not sure its what i need to do the job ?, but its what
    > sparked the idea ....
    >
    > i guess its a fairly simple concept for the all knowing voip/telcom expets
    > , so i thought i'd ask you guys.
    >
    > i'm needing a 0845 type number , the ability to redirect to my mobile
    > number or landline or to my voip number depending on the day.
    >
    > basically , whats the cheapest method for a 0845 type number (dont like
    > the idea of the odd landline type numbers skype etc can offer) to redirect
    > to my choosen number on the day, some days i'm out all day so its mobile ,
    > some days
    >
    > i'm at one location all day and other days i'm at the 2nd location all day
    > or even a mixture of all three , so i need the ability to easily update
    > the number for the 0845 to redirect to , voip, landline , mobile .
    >
    > cost is very important , i already have the phone line , i also have a
    > voip.co.uk account / skpye account .
    >
    > i'm willing to reconsider using 0845 , but do need something similar as i
    > believe that the 0845 number is etched into peoples minds as a local rate
    > number , the offerings from skype for a landline number look forgein and i
    > dont want people thinking there making a call to a frogein phone number
    > ,when where based in the u.k.
    >
    > all help and links welcomed

    Sorry i ment to add i am also considering a 0800 number instead of the 0845
    number.
    Dave T, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Dave T

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:24:31 +0100, "Dave T" <> wrote:

    >"Dave T" <> wrote in message
    >> help for newbie , wanting to use a 0845 number then redirect to my mobile
    >> via voip or similar ......
    >>
    >> I was reading this months PC Format magazine and one of the freebies on
    >> the cover disc is a program called 3cx phone system 3,
    >>
    >> i've no idea how to set it up and it looks as if it does loads more than i
    >> need but might be a bit overkill , i have a friend that might be able to
    >> set it up , but not sure its what i need to do the job ?, but its what
    >> sparked the idea ....
    >>
    >> i guess its a fairly simple concept for the all knowing voip/telcom expets
    >> , so i thought i'd ask you guys.
    >>
    >> i'm needing a 0845 type number , the ability to redirect to my mobile
    >> number or landline or to my voip number depending on the day.
    >>
    >> basically , whats the cheapest method for a 0845 type number (dont like
    >> the idea of the odd landline type numbers skype etc can offer) to redirect
    >> to my choosen number on the day, some days i'm out all day so its mobile ,
    >> some days
    >>
    >> i'm at one location all day and other days i'm at the 2nd location all day
    >> or even a mixture of all three , so i need the ability to easily update
    >> the number for the 0845 to redirect to , voip, landline , mobile .
    >>
    >> cost is very important , i already have the phone line , i also have a
    >> voip.co.uk account / skpye account .
    >>
    >> i'm willing to reconsider using 0845 , but do need something similar as i
    >> believe that the 0845 number is etched into peoples minds as a local rate
    >> number , the offerings from skype for a landline number look forgein and i
    >> dont want people thinking there making a call to a frogein phone number
    >> ,when where based in the u.k.
    >>
    >> all help and links welcomed

    >Sorry i ment to add i am also considering a 0800 number instead of the 0845
    >number.

    When you get a non-geo number (e.g. 0845,0800) it will usually be
    directed to an existing geographical number.
    Firstly forget about Skype. Skype isn't a serious prospect. There are
    hundreds of other providers that use the SIP protocol.
    There is no reason whatever for you to have an 0845 number in order to
    redirect your calls. You don't even need to have voip equipment so
    long as you have access to the Net. You can get a voip number instead.
    One easy way to transfer calls is to open an account with Voxalot.com.
    If you only have one voip number then the cost will be US$15/year
    (about GBP7.30) for the services.
    1. Set up your geo voip number to register on voxalot.
    2. Set up a provider to carry your forwarded calls, e.g. voip.co.uk,
    as well as a provider for your incoming geo. voip number (may be the
    same account you use to forwarrd your calls)
    3. Set up all the numbers you want to transfer to and then you can
    just enable them at will.
    If your call transfer is to another voip number it can often be
    transferred for free, if not, then with voip.co.uk it will be 2p/call
    at peak time ('free' other times). You can choose from many carriers
    and thus keep your call costs down.
    Voxalot provides a good voicemail system and you can pick up your
    messages in three ways.
    1. Via email.
    2. Via the Sipbroker PSTN access service of which there are many
    scattered throughout the world (numbers best programmed into a
    phone).
    3. On a telephone handset that is connected to an ATA, which, in turn,
    is connected to broadband. (if you really wanted to you could carry a
    voip ATA or phone around with you and plug it into broadband wherever
    you are providing you had control of the configuration of the network
    - that way there would be NILL call transfer costs at all times)

    If you want to have an 0800 or an 0845 pointed to your registered voip
    number then you can do that - it is just another layer and nothing to
    do with the call transfer system.
    I have assumed, as you posted this on this group that you did want a
    voip solution rather than a purely POTS system.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---
    Brian A, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Dave T

    Dave T Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > 1. Via email.
    > 2. Via the Sipbroker PSTN access service of which there are many
    > scattered throughout the world (numbers best programmed into a
    > phone).
    > 3. On a telephone handset that is connected to an ATA, which, in turn,
    > is connected to broadband. (if you really wanted to you could carry a
    > voip ATA or phone around with you and plug it into broadband wherever
    > you are providing you had control of the configuration of the network
    > - that way there would be NILL call transfer costs at all times)
    >
    > If you want to have an 0800 or an 0845 pointed to your registered voip
    > number then you can do that - it is just another layer and nothing to
    > do with the call transfer system.
    > I have assumed, as you posted this on this group that you did want a
    > voip solution rather than a purely POTS system.

    Hi yes , voip or standard telecom , i want to have a 0800 or 0845 number as
    i think it encourages calls from outside my local area , as we do repairs
    that are often sent to us via the postal system .
    Dave T, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Dave T

    Jono Guest

    Dave T formulated on Saturday :

    > Hi yes , voip or standard telecom , i want to have a 0800 or 0845 number as i
    > think it encourages calls from outside my local area , as we do repairs that
    > are often sent to us via the postal system .

    0800 might encourage calls from outside your area. 0845 might serve to
    discourage.

    Why not get a geo number with an STD code for the area you want to
    attract calls from?
    Jono, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Dave T

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:44:47 +0100, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Dave T formulated on Saturday :
    >
    >> Hi yes , voip or standard telecom , i want to have a 0800 or 0845 number as i
    >> think it encourages calls from outside my local area , as we do repairs that
    >> are often sent to us via the postal system .

    >0800 might encourage calls from outside your area. 0845 might serve to
    >discourage.
    >
    >Why not get a geo number with an STD code for the area you want to
    >attract calls from?

    I agree with Jono. In fact, if you wanted, you could have a range of
    geo numbers from different areas all registed with Voxalot to come
    down the same line. You can register up to 5 for US$25.
    Nowadays there is no call charge differential, for calling outside
    ones area, so people are not discouraged from calling a distant
    destination but they are discouraged by an 0845 number. Often though,
    people do look for a 'local' service, depending on the nature of the
    business, and like to see a local area code. I think that this can
    win out over an 0845.

    ---

    Brian A, Aug 11, 2007
  7. Dave T

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    : : On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:44:47 +0100, Jono
    : : <> wrote:

    [snip]

    : : : Why not get a geo number with an STD code for the
    : : : area you want to attract calls from?
    : : :
    : : I agree with Jono. In fact, if you wanted, you could
    : : have a range of geo numbers from different areas all
    : : registed with Voxalot to come down the same line. You
    : : can register up to 5 for US$25.
    : : Nowadays there is no call charge differential, for
    : : calling outside ones area, so people are not
    : : discouraged from calling a distant destination but they
    : : are discouraged by an 0845 number. Often though, people
    : : do look for a 'local' service, depending on the nature
    : : of the business, and like to see a local area code. I
    : : think that this can win out over an 0845.

    Indeed, although depending on the type of business an 0800 number would
    encourage more calls. But 0845/0870 is a definite no-no if you want calls
    from residential customers. (Most businesses will be less likely to worry
    about call costs..!)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 11, 2007
  8. Dave T

    Iain Guest

    Re: help for newbie , wanting to use a 0845 number then redirectto my mobile via voip or similar ......

    Dave T wrote:

    > Hi yes , voip or standard telecom , i want to have a 0800 or 0845 number as
    > i think it encourages calls from outside my local area , as we do repairs
    > that are often sent to us via the postal system .

    There is a huge difference. 0800 numbers are free to call from
    landlines, but 0845 numbers are more expensive than ordinary numbers.
    There is no difference between the cost of tringint a local number (on
    your local exchange) and the other end f the country.

    If you want to encourage people to call you, go for an 0800, not an
    0845. But if you are trying to hide your location, choose a number in
    your main target market; maybe London.

    Whatever you do, an 0800 number will cost you money for every call you
    receive. An 0845 may not if delivering to a geographical number (which
    is why it is more expensive for the caller) but don't depend on 0845
    services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    year or two.

    As others have suggested, you can get a voip number in any area and
    forward it to a landline or a mobile at a cost to you, or collect it by
    voip for free.
    Iain, Aug 11, 2007
  9. Dave T

    Brian A wrote:
    > ... you could have a range of
    > geo numbers from different areas all registed with Voxalot to come
    > down the same line. You can register up to 5 for US$25.

    voip.co.uk charge £2 per number, so you would get six or seven for the
    equivalent of $25
    Iain, Aug 11, 2007
  10. Dave T

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Iain wrote:
    > [...] don't depend on 0845
    > services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    > year or two.

    Que?

    "Some 08 numbers are used to provide services for which the historic
    link of call charges to geographic rates - 0845 for ‘local rate’ and
    0870 for ‘national rate’ – has broken down. The NTS Review decided to
    repair and extend the link between 0870 calls and national calls to
    geographic numbers, for calls from all originating communications
    providers (‘OCPs’). That Review also said that we will consider in
    future doing the same for 0845 numbers. This remains Ofcom’s position."

    Does not imply that anyone will "lose" an 0845 number - just that CPs
    might not be able to offer functionality at no cost to the recipient -
    you might have to start paying for functionality in the future.
    Paul Cupis, Aug 11, 2007
  11. Dave T

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Iain formulated :

    ?
    Jono, Aug 11, 2007
  12. Dave T

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > It happens that Iain formulated :
    >> tringint

    > ?

    ObSimpsons: "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To order a
    special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:07:12 up 25 days, 15:52, 3 users, load average: 0.31, 0.32, 0.17
    alexd, Aug 12, 2007
  13. Dave T

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:23:22 +0100, Iain <>
    wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> ... you could have a range of
    >> geo numbers from different areas all registed with Voxalot to come
    >> down the same line. You can register up to 5 for US$25.

    >voip.co.uk charge £2 per number, so you would get six or seven for the
    >equivalent of $25

    Perhaps I didn't make this very clear. Voxalot don't do numbers. The
    $25/year is to REGISTER your own accounts on the system. Other
    services, such as call forwarding and callback are included plus the
    basic facilities such as dial plans.

    ---

    Brian A, Aug 12, 2007
  14. Dave T

    Guest

    On 11 Aug, 21:21, Iain <> wrote:

    > don't depend on 0845
    > services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    > year or two.

    Sorry for butting in but 0845 services/numbers may be withdrawn?

    How likely is this?

    Is this some Ofcom thinggy?

    Thanks,
    Stef
    , Aug 12, 2007
  15. Dave T

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On 11 Aug, 21:21, Iain <> wrote:
    >
    >> don't depend on 0845
    >> services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    >> year or two.

    > Sorry for butting in but 0845 services/numbers may be withdrawn?
    >
    > How likely is this?
    >
    > Is this some Ofcom thinggy?

    As far as I am aware, there are no current plans to remove 0845 numbers
    from the numbering plan (i.e. withdraw them).
    Paul Cupis, Aug 12, 2007
  16. Dave T

    Jono Guest

    explained on 12/08/2007 :
    > On 11 Aug, 21:21, Iain <> wrote:
    >
    >> don't depend on 0845
    >> services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    >> year or two.

    > Sorry for butting in but 0845 services/numbers may be withdrawn?

    But away. Yes they may. Or at least change significantly.

    > How likely is this?

    Very. They are under review at the moment.

    > Is this some Ofcom thinggy?

    Yes.

    0870 numbers are to be changed early next year - the cost of calling
    them will be the same as 01 or 02 numbers & no revenue share will be
    permitted - 0845s may or may not follow suit in time.
    Jono, Aug 12, 2007
  17. Dave T

    Dave T Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > explained on 12/08/2007 :
    >> On 11 Aug, 21:21, Iain <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> don't depend on 0845
    >>> services continuing in the longer term: you may lose that number in a
    >>> year or two.

    >> Sorry for butting in but 0845 services/numbers may be withdrawn?

    > But away. Yes they may. Or at least change significantly.
    >

    >> How likely is this?

    > Very. They are under review at the moment.
    >
    >> Is this some Ofcom thinggy?

    > Yes.
    >
    > 0870 numbers are to be changed early next year - the cost of calling them
    > will be the same as 01 or 02 numbers & no revenue share will be
    > permitted - 0845s may or may not follow suit in time.

    Hi thank you all for your replys , basically its a mail order repair service
    , so 0800 is fine for us , as we want to attract as many calls as possible ,
    the important part is the ability when i'm not at the office to be transfer
    the calls as cheaply as possible to my mobile , skype charge a whooping
    14p+vat per minute , where as voipcheap charge 5.4p per minute , which is
    bearable as i'm not out of the office all of the time , does anyone know of
    a really cheap way to transfer a voip in number to a mobile with the best
    call rates etc.
    Dave T, Aug 14, 2007
  18. Dave T

    Tim Guest

    Dave T wrote:
    > Hi thank you all for your replys , basically its a mail order repair

    service
    > , so 0800 is fine for us , as we want to attract as many calls as possible ,
    > the important part is the ability when i'm not at the office to be transfer
    > the calls as cheaply as possible to my mobile , skype charge a whooping
    > 14p+vat per minute , where as voipcheap charge 5.4p per minute , which is
    > bearable as i'm not out of the office all of the time , does anyone know of
    > a really cheap way to transfer a voip in number to a mobile with the best
    > call rates etc.

    You could get a gradwell account and set it up so that the calls ring to
    a SIP voip phone and your mobile phone at the same time.

    Thus if you answer the SIP phone, then you will only pay the 0800
    inbound charge. Answer the mobile, and you pay the full diversion rate.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 14, 2007
  19. Dave T

    t0ms Guest

    t0ms, Nov 1, 2007
  20. Dave T

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 09:25:00 -0400, t0ms
    <> wrote:

    >Digitrad is a company running a service called PeerTelecom which is
    >exactly what you're looking for: '' (http://www.peertelecom.com)
    >
    >They can provide you with a number: 0800, 0844, 0845, 0870, 0871,
    >geographic, international, etc. The calls can be redirected to any
    >phone line you want. Their prices start at £9 per month.

    >View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=26757
    >http://www.wirelessforums.org

    I don't have the original post for this so I am just guessing at what
    it might have been.
    0845 numbers aren't so popular with callers nowadays because it is
    usually much cheaper to call geographics numbers.
    You'd be better opening a voxalot account and forwarding calls to your
    mobile from a geo number. You will be able to choose the cheapest
    carrier for the mobile phone leg of the call. Voxalot, for the year,
    is US$15. Far cheaper than renting th euse of an 0845.

    ---
    Brian A, Nov 1, 2007