Help finding wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by OVS, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. OVS

    OVS Guest

    Hope someone can help with my problem. It'll be obvious I have no clue
    regarding networking, but I'll give it a go --- Connected to my main PC I
    have a linksys ADSL gateway WAG54G. I'm trying to get my Laptop to connect
    to the network. The laptop has intel Centrino (802.11b)

    some details from my admin page http://192.168.1.1/ From main PC

    Wireless Netwrok mode - Mixed
    Wireless channel - 11
    Wireless SSID -enabled

    Now, on my laptop, Wireless Network shows no connection. If I go into
    properties of Wireless Network it states that there is no available
    network.

    Why is my laptop unable to see my network?

    Hope someone can help

    Thanks
    OVS, Aug 12, 2004

  2. OVS

    OVS Guest

    Sorry forgot to mention - both machines using Windows XP.
    OVS, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Some laptop that have built in wireless cards by default have the wireless
    card off. In other words you must look for switch, a button, or maybe even
    hit the function along with some other number. Once hit the switch it should
    stay unless you turn it off something strange happens. then restart the
    computer so it picks up the wireless network then connect to the network.
    Also you may have to power cycle the router and the modem.

    Get the manual if this is a built in wireless adapter. It will will usually
    specify where it is that you must go to turn it on.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZml1cw==?=, Aug 15, 2004
  4. OVS

    Pavel A. Guest

    First of all check in the Linksys router settings, that it isn't locked into G only mode.
    (does the "mixed" mode mean B & G?)
    Then check that the Centrino radio is turned ON.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 16, 2004