Help finding a good DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DarkLaser, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. DarkLaser

    DarkLaser Guest

    I'm struggling here, I've got an old (cheap) DVD Recorder (PYE PY90DG)
    that just went out on me, and I'm trying to find a quality
    replacement.

    I'm looking for a unit that has:
    - Good quality recording
    - Compatibility with at least DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW
    - Creates title menu using frame snapshots
    - Allows you to edit clips after recorded
    - Split recording into additional clips
    - Edit chapter marks in clips
    - Allow for picture snapshot selection for title menu
    - Delete clips
    - Price $300 and under range

    Nice to have's, but not required would be:
    - Computability with DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM
    - USB
    - HD Tuner
    - Hard Drive

    Recorders I've tried and their problems:
    - Panasonic DMR-EA18: Only provides clip editing features for DVD-RAM
    - Toshiba D-R410: Does not create picture title menus, Recorded
    quality is very poor (particularly audio)

    Recorders I'm considering:
    - Samsung VR375 (amazon.com rating almost 4 stars from 25 customers)
    - Philips DVDR3576H/37 (amazon.com rating 4 stars from 9 customers)

    Does anyone know of any other recorders I aught to consider? Is there
    something I should know about either of these two I'm considering
    (like the problems with the Panasonic DMR-EA18)? I'm also willing to
    look at other Panasonic's because they had nice quality, but I would
    need to be able to edit clips on DVD+R and DVD+RW's, and I'm concerned
    that because their DMR-EA18 doesn't allow for editing clips except on
    DVD-RAM's, that their other models wont either.

    Any help would be very appreciated

    Thanks,
    David

    DarkLaser, Sep 17, 2008