    or anything like that.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Brad

    Bradley Burton, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Bradley Burton

    Fakename Guest

    Any computer will freeze/stutter like that occasionally. It's a
    byproduct of how complicated they are. There's soooooo much room for
    code bloat, errors, and ineffecient processes.

    Faster hardware should reduce impact this has on performance, but it
    won't eliminate it.

    Fakename, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Bradley Burton

    Reginald P Guest

    Bradley Burton wrote:

    > I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
    > have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
    > Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
    > when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
    > processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
    > computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
    > I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
    > mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
    > or anything like that.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Brad

    Spend what you can afford and consider using unix / linux

    Reginald P, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Bradley Burton

    Plato Guest

    Bradley Burton wrote:

    > I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
    > have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
    > Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
    > when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
    > processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about

    Get 1.5 gig of ram.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Bradley Burton

    Fakename Guest

    Unix/Linux desktop environments are even worse for stuttering and
    freezing. Oh sure the core underneath is fast, but the desktop's are
    slow as shit.

    KDE, forget about it. I mean it looks great, and has some great
    features, but if you want a quick and conistently responsive desktop
    you're best bet is Windows, or maybe Macintosh. And KDE is the defacto
    env in most linux distros.

    Not to mention that the original poster doesn't sound like a power user
    when it comes to windows, so it would be an uphill battle for him to
    learn *nix. *nix is much harder to use than Windows.

    If you want to speed things up when it comes to computing then buy some
    faster hardware and learn to understand the quirks that come with modern
    computing. Forget about *nix.

    Fakename, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Bradley Burton

    Reginald P Guest

    Fakename wrote:

    > Unix/Linux desktop environments are even worse for stuttering and
    > freezing.

    utter bullshite
    Oh sure the core underneath is fast, but the desktop's are
    > slow as shit.

    wrong again

    > KDE, forget about it. I mean it looks great, and has some great
    > features, but if you want a quick and conistently responsive desktop
    > you're best bet is Windows, or maybe Macintosh. And KDE is the defacto
    > env in most linux distros.

    its a very good product , I prefer Solaris which incidently is now
    free for personal use

    > Not to mention that the original poster doesn't sound like a power user
    > when it comes to windows, so it would be an uphill battle for him to
    > learn *nix. *nix is much harder to use than Windows.

    utter rubbish , insert dvd and go , nice easy gui interface .

    > If you want to speed things up when it comes to computing then buy some
    > faster hardware and learn to understand the quirks that come with modern
    > computing. Forget about *nix.

    you really need to drop that mickysof is wonderful 'tude and realise
    nix is very easy and useful these days .

    Reginald P, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Bradley Burton

    Reginald P Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Bradley Burton wrote:
    >
    >>I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
    >>have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
    >>Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
    >>when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
    >>processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about

    > Get 1.5 gig of ram.

    wouldn't be much in a PII would it ?

    Reginald P, Nov 27, 2005
  8. Bradley Burton

    Robert Baer Guest

    Bradley Burton wrote:

    > I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
    > have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
    > Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
    > when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
    > processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
    > computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
    > I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
    > mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
    > or anything like that.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Brad

    1) do *not* use IE
    2) do *not* use OE

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2005
  9. Bradley Burton

    Fakename Guest

    You compare KDE and Solaris. One is an OS, the other is a desktop
    environment. You do realize you could run KDE on Solaris right?

    And KDE is slower on the same hardware than the Windows interface. It
    just is.

    Installing Linux isn't that hard, but using it is a lot harder than
    using Windows. Just try to explain something like upgrading a video
    card on *nix to your average PC user and watch they're eyes gloss over.

    You've got to remember that your average computer user can't even copy
    files at the command line. They just can't handle *nix.

    I like Linux/Unix. I use *nix. But I also realize it's not for everybody.

    Fakename, Nov 27, 2005
  10. Bradley Burton

    Reginald P Guest

    Fakename wrote:

    > You compare KDE and Solaris.

    I didn't think so , just expressed my preference for an o/s
    One is an OS, the other is a desktop
    yes so your point ?
    > environment. You do realize you could run KDE on Solaris right?

    oh duh , another drop of brilliance from the officer for
    misinformation , where was your last position Iraq ?

    Reginald P, Nov 27, 2005
  11. Bradley Burton

    Fakename Guest

    So are you trying to make some point about Solaris or just telling us
    all that you like it?

    Fakename, Nov 27, 2005
  12. Bradley Burton

    Reginald P Guest

    Fakename wrote:

    > So are you trying to make some point about Solaris or just telling us

    I shant bother folling this thread , I see you have a history of
    dickpulling .

    Reginald P, Nov 27, 2005
  13. Bradley Burton

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:05:47 -0600, Bradley Burton wrote:

    > I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
    > have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
    > Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
    > when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
    > processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
    > computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
    > I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
    > mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
    > or anything like that.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Brad

    How much money do you want to spend?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Nov 27, 2005
  14. Bradley Burton

    Fakename Guest

    Actually, it's not misinformation. You can run KDE on Solaris. I'm
    suprised you don't know that.

    Fakename, Nov 27, 2005
  15. About $1000 or less.

    Bradley Burton, Nov 27, 2005
  16. Bradley Burton

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:27:52 -0600, Bradley Burton wrote:

    > About $1000 or less.
    >
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> How much money do you want to spend?

    Please don't top post. It makes it very hard to follow a thread. That
    being said, God bless you. I'm about sick to death of people who want a
    system for broadband internet, watch TV at the same time while they run
    twelve spreadsheets doing algorithms for NASA and play DOOM, but only want
    to budget $300 including the monitor. You are actually being realistic,
    however it's late tonight, so let's get into this tomorrow.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Nov 28, 2005
  17. Bradley Burton

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:27:52 -0600, Bradley Burton wrote:

    > About $1000 or less.
    >>
    >> How much money do you want to spend?

    Go with an ATX mainboard that supports PCI Express for the graphics card
    and uses SATA for your Hard Drive interface. Make sure it has four memory
    slots and get a matched set of 512Mb memory chips for 1Gig of memory and
    run them in Dual Channel mode to maximize their performance. (Your
    mainboard manual will show you which slots to put them in to do this.) You
    should be able to get a Pentium 4 3Gig processor for the amount of money
    you have suggested and the size of your hard drive is up to you, but a
    SATA 160Gb Maxtor can be had for around $89.00 so there's no sense in
    buying something too small. Don't bother with a 1.44Mb floppy, get a
    multi-port flash card reader instead. Use a DVD combo burner for your
    optical drive and get a case that you'll enjoy looking at for the next
    year or so and that has at least a 300Watt power supply. You should still
    have enough money left to pick up a 17" or maybe even a 19" LCD monitor if
    your not going to do any gaming. If you think you might get into games in
    the future use a 19" CRT monitor and save even more money and get better
    graphics.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Nov 29, 2005