Help-Failure Notice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
    "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.

    There are no attachments
    We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages to...
    they are undeliverable.
    They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
    gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
    whatever from the newsgroups.

    I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
    Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.

    It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
    mine.

    ANY help appreciated.

    Thanks

    --
    Bill
    WeeWilly, Nov 5, 2004

  2. WeeWilly

    Smoker Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
    > "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
    >
    > There are no attachments

    > We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages

    to... they are undeliverable.

    What does that mean?

    > They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
    > gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
    > whatever from the newsgroups.
    >
    > I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
    > Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
    >
    > It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
    > mine.
    >
    > ANY help appreciated.

    Why not ask your provider?
    Smoker, Nov 5, 2004

  3. WeeWilly

    Timo Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
    > "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
    >
    > There are no attachments
    > We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
    > to... they are undeliverable.
    > They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
    > gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
    > whatever from the newsgroups.
    >
    > I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
    > Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
    >
    > It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
    > mine.
    >
    > ANY help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    Its SPAM.
    Timo, Nov 5, 2004
  4. WeeWilly

    Stickems Guest

    They are viruses, don't open the attachments.

    Stickems, Nov 5, 2004
  5. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks Stickems.. but there are NO attachments..

    WeeWilly, Nov 5, 2004
  6. WeeWilly

    trout Guest

    WeeWilly wrote:

    > My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
    > "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
    >
    > There are no attachments
    > We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
    > to... they are undeliverable.
    > They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a
    > bunch of gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an
    > image or whatever from the newsgroups.
    >
    > I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a
    > test on Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
    >
    > It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only..
    > none of mine.
    >
    > ANY help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    The most likely cause of this is a viral infection. However, it is
    likely that the infected party is someone else that has you in their
    address book. A number of viruses use the address book of the infected
    computer to forge a return path when it sends itself out (also to
    addresses it finds).
    If you can think of a likely candidate that this might have happened
    to, you may want to inform them, but there's basically not much to do
    about it, or reason for concern.
    --
    "*If* you've made certain your own system is clean."
    trout, Nov 5, 2004
  7. WeeWilly

    James Hilton Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
    > "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
    >
    > There are no attachments
    > We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages

    to...
    > they are undeliverable.
    > They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
    > gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
    > whatever from the newsgroups.
    >
    > I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
    > Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
    >
    > It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
    > mine.
    >
    > ANY help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    I had a similar thing happen a couple of years ago. My ISP said that it was
    a spam bot using my email addy as the return to address on spam they were
    sending out. If the spam reached a valid email addy I would not know it, but
    if it was an invalid email addy and the spam was not deliverable I would get
    the failure notice. Makes sense to me.
    James Hilton, Nov 6, 2004
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks Trout and James.. I think these are the most likely culprits.. I
    won't worry about it.. In fact, I haven't received any of these in the past
    twenty four hours.. maybe whoever it was found the problem.. ?? Knock on
    wood

    WeeWilly, Nov 7, 2004