Help! Ext. USB2 HD locks up after 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anonymous, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I purchased a 3.5 inch USB2 / Firewire external hard
    drive enclosure from CoolDrives.com; consequestly, this
    company absolutely refuses to give any tech support
    what-so-ever!!!

    So, after a dozen emails with no response, and a personal
    long distance phone call that they refused to connect me
    with tech support, I removed the PCB and found that this
    drive enclosure was made by:
    http://www.newmotiontech.com/new/products/enclosures/3.5combo.htm

    So again, I emailed this company but never received a response either.

    The problem is that the hard drive heads start loading and unloading
    after the drive has been powered up less that 2 minutes and locks
    the computer until I turn the hard drive off.

    Also, the USB2 driver only works about 25% of the time; whereas,
    it states that the device driver isn't installed.

    I tried powering the drive with out being connected to the USB
    cable, and the drive runs normally with out the head loading /
    unloading problem.

    MY OS: Windows 2000
    MB: ASUS A7V266-E

    Thanks

    Big Fred

    Anonymous, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Anonymous

    Patrick Guest

    You have not asked a specific question, so I will ask one,
    Is the HDD configured as 'Master' ? it must be.
    http://www.cooldrives.com/support.html

    Patrick, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I tried using Master, Single, Cable Select, and no
    jumper at all, but I still get the same problem.

    Also, I purchased two of these enclosures and they both
    do the same thing, even when connected to a totally
    different Windows 2000 computer.

    The only thing these enclosures have in common are the hard
    drives; whereas, they both have Western Digital 80GB 2mb buffer
    hard drives.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    Big Fred

    "Patrick" <> wrote in news:mmStb.1173$MP5.9965
    @newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net:

    Anonymous, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Anonymous

    M Mullen Guest

    On 16 Nov 2003 16:54:58 -0600, Anonymous <Nobody> wrote:

    |> I tried using Master, Single, Cable Select, and no
    |> jumper at all, but I still get the same problem.
    |>
    |> Also, I purchased two of these enclosures and they both
    |> do the same thing, even when connected to a totally
    |> different Windows 2000 computer.

    There's a darn good chance it's Win2000's fault.
    If possible see how it works under another operating system.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Nov 17, 2003