Help......DVD R Search

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jim, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have a simple problem, an easy one for you guys, and I hope that you will
    help me.

    I need to replace my Avion DVD recorder.......after 200 DVD's, it died.
    Great unit for the money.

    I have regular analog cable...no cable box. My TV is a JVC 27"....not HD.

    I need a DVD recorder just like the old Avion. It is just like a VCR. You
    plug the cable from the cable company that comes through your wall (no cable
    box) into the "input" on back of the DVD recorder unit, and the another
    75ohm cable output goes from your DVD recorder to your TV's coax
    input......just like a VCR. So, you can record TV programs.

    The recorder has its own analog tuner. You can record one TV show while
    watching another.......just like a VCR.

    The unit also has "red, white and yellow" RCA composite outputs on the back
    which can be plugged into the back of the TV, to deliver the DVD output to
    the TV via RCA cables, for a better picture.

    And, the unit has "red, white and yellow" inputs on the front, for plugging
    in a digital movie camera, etc., to record digital home movies onto DVD.

    That's it. Plain, simple, old school. Just like a VCR, except that it is
    for DVD.

    The "digital tuner" or "no tuner" type of machine is not an option (unless
    it also has a regular analog tuner.)

    I don't need a VCR/DVD unit, but if that is my only choice, ok.

    This has become a giant hassle. I've put in an honest 20 hours looking for
    one. I really need your help.

    Would a Toshiba D-R560 do the trick?

    Can you suggest a better unit in the $200 ballpark?

    (I'll be moving to HDTV next year.)

    I trust you guys. Please help me out.

    Thanks in advance for your time and patience. Enjoy a great weekend. Jim
    Jim, Aug 2, 2008

  2. Jim

    kaboom Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:03:46 -0500, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >I have a simple problem, an easy one for you guys, and I hope that you will
    >help me.
    >
    >I need to replace my Avion DVD recorder.......after 200 DVD's, it died.
    >Great unit for the money.

    **I'm in the same boat, my Panasonic e85 died but I plan on getting it
    fixed. I believe it's a capacitor problem in the power supply. In the
    meantime, I'm thinking about getting another recorder, possibly two,
    actually, one with and one without a hard drive. I do most of my
    research here:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

    Have you tried that site yet? Like you, I haven't settled quite yet on
    what I want but I'm thinking of getting a hard drive model from:

    http://www.world-import.com/

    http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

    (That page has more than just Panasonics on it.) I have purchased from
    them before. For a non-hard drive model, it's up in the air as to
    whether I'm going to buy a regular US model. Every time, I research
    the quality aspect of particular models, it's just depressing. I want
    a Panasonic but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on one of
    the more recent models yet. I don't need a tuner for the hard drive
    model because I'm going to use that for archiving VHS tapes and it's
    not going to be hooked up to cable. The other one, I'm thinking of
    hooking up to cable but it would be in between the cable box and the
    TV so I don't think a tuner would matter. Yes, I understand that it
    means that the cable box would determine the channel etc etc. I know
    this probably doesn't help you at all :) but I do find the forums at
    avsforum really helpful.

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Aug 3, 2008