HELP!! Dual Boot setup with DOS and XP and seeing other drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bogusboy00@hotmail.com, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I've Googled this problem and while I see lot's of information on dual
    booting overall, I haven't come across this specific one yet (maybe the
    wrong keywords?).

    I have a laptop that I need to setup to dual boot into DOS and XP with
    the ability to see the same FAT16 drive where DOS applications will be
    kept.

    I can get both OS's to install and work but the problem I'm having is
    that DOS only see's the native drive it's loaded on and won't see any
    other drive. I recognize DOS has limits with FAT16 and the 2G size. It
    doesn't seem to matter if I create a FAT16 drive under 2G and move it
    up next to the OS or have it primary or extended. It still won't see
    it. I'm wondering if maybe I loaded something out of sequence or if I'm
    missing some information on how these OS's can coexist.

    I'm using Powerquest Partition Magic and Bootloader as the tools
    through this. The system is a PIII-700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20G drive.

    Thanks much for the input.

    On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
    to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
    life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
    The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
    while running out of XP. Thanks again.

    , Dec 12, 2004

  2. In article <> <> wrote:

    >>I've Googled this problem and while I see lot's of information on dual
    >>booting overall, I haven't come across this specific one yet (maybe the
    >>wrong keywords?).
    >>
    >>I have a laptop that I need to setup to dual boot into DOS and XP with
    >>the ability to see the same FAT16 drive where DOS applications will be
    >>kept.

    >I can get both OS's to install and work but the problem I'm having is
    >that DOS only see's the native drive it's loaded on and won't see any
    >other drive. I recognize DOS has limits with FAT16 and the 2G size. It
    >doesn't seem to matter if I create a FAT16 drive under 2G and move it
    >up next to the OS or have it primary or extended. It still won't see
    >it. I'm wondering if maybe I loaded something out of sequence or if I'm
    >missing some information on how these OS's can coexist.

    Why are you never asking if you are wondering if maybe you loaded
    something out of sequence or if they are missing some information on
    how these os's can coexist?

    >I'm using Powerquest Partition Magic and Bootloader as the tools
    >through this. The system is a PIII-700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20G drive.

    Oh, you are, are you?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "This isn't being generated by a human is it?" -- Meat-->Plow

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Noel Paton Guest

    Your problem is probably that you've installed WinXP as an NTFS system - and
    DOS can't recognise it.
    AFAIK, there's no way to get DOS to read NTFS, so you'll have to reinstall
    XP into a FAT32 partition, inside the first 8GB of the drive (and I think
    that it'll have to be less than 8GB itself - but not sure on that).

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Ron Martell Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
    >to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
    >life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
    >The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
    >while running out of XP. Thanks again.

    That is probably going to require updated software for your DOS app.

    Most prograoms that use hardware keys (dongles) validate the key by
    accessing the printer port directly. Windows XP totally isolates all
    applications from the hardware and no direct access is permitted. All
    hardware access must be made by using operating system functions.

    The supplier of your DOS app and hardware key should be well aware of
    the situation with Windows XP (it also existed in Windows 2000 and
    NT4) and you should check with them in this regard.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    | On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
    | to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
    | life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
    | The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
    | while running out of XP. Thanks again.

    I use DataCAD at work, and it also uses a key. When we upgraded to Windows
    XP, we had to get the new version of DataCAD as well, to get the updated
    key. The newest key is on USB, so I don't have to reach behind the freakin'
    computer when I need to take the key home at night <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004