HELP, don't know if driver update is properly installed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richmac, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. richmac

    richmac Guest

    Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I started
    the driver update for NIVIDIA software.

    The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which went
    at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)

    The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little squares
    in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the cancel
    button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
    performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it out.

    Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.

    I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation "successful".
    But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to install"
    list, to be REMOVED.

    When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to another
    page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
    installation dialogue is still open.

    Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will crash.

    OS Windows XP pro
    Athlon 1.3GH
    NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440

    Richard

    richmac, Nov 22, 2003

  2. richmac

    Scrote Guest

    "richmac" <> wrote in message
    > Last evening I did some critical updates, which went fine. Then I

    started
    > the driver update for NIVIDIA software.
    >
    > The first try didn't work, but the second started the download, which

    went
    > at normal download speed. (12 MB in under 2 minutes)
    >
    > The installation, however, took over 3 hours. I watched the little

    squares
    > in the dialogue box fill up at about 12 minutes per square, but the

    cancel
    > button was greyed out, the task manager reported that the system was
    > performing update, and I didn't know what else to do except wait it

    out.

    > Finally all the squares were filled, but the dialogue stayed open.
    >
    > I viewed installation history and found NIVIDIA installation

    "successful".
    > But if I review updates, the driver is still there on the "to

    install"
    > list, to be REMOVED.
    >
    > When I try to close the dialogue window, warning that if I go to

    another
    > page installation would not complete appears. That was 4 hours ago,
    > installation dialogue is still open.
    >
    > Please help. I don't dare to do anything now in case the system will

    crash.

    > OS Windows XP pro
    > Athlon 1.3GH
    > NIVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
    >

    > Richard

    Tony, who knows nothing, wrote

    Nvidia now recommends you uninstall old driver before installing new
    (don't know why the change). From my own experience 1.go to
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp a get latest driver
    and "Save" it. 2.Uninstall whatever driver(s) you have . 3.Reboot .
    4.When sys "finds new hardware" point it at new driver. Hope This
    helps

    Semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......ish

    Scrote, Nov 22, 2003

  3. richmac

    richmac Guest

    Thanks. Just find it a bit hard to keep up with all these changes.
    Anyway, the 3 hour installation seems to be good. Whew!!

    "Scrote" <"""tonybroomathotmail.com.nospamatfukinall> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news: ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    richmac, Nov 23, 2003
  4. richmac

    richmac Guest

    Thanks, apparently there were 2 drivers installed, so I uninstalled both and
    installed the update.
    Took 2 minutes all told.
    It's a matter of "to trust or not to trust...microsoft updates"...again.
    Well, a lesson learned.

    Rich

    richmac, Nov 23, 2003
  5. richmac