Help ! Disk Boot Failure - no HD detected

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by frankg, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. frankg

    frankg Guest

    XP Pro

    My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted with
    switch.
    Bios comes up, message detecting primary master, list of drives (no HD
    listed), pci device listing, then the message:
    "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk"
    I insert the xp cd and try to repair with the recovery console.
    then the message:
    "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

    Cant enter Safe Mode

    What to do?
    --
    =========

    frankg, Sep 16, 2005

  2. frankg

    TJ Guest

    In news:I1DWe.3838$,
    frankg <> typed:

    > "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

    > What to do?

    Copy and paste the first quoted line above (including the " marks) into
    Google.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,460 for "setup did not find any hard disk drives
    installed in your computer". (0.27 seconds)

    From the few that I looked at, it seems to be a Dell thing.

    TJ, Sep 16, 2005

  3. frankg

    Trax Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote:

    |>XP Pro
    |>
    |>My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    |>document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted with
    |>switch.
    |>Bios comes up, message detecting primary master, list of drives (no HD
    |>listed), pci device listing, then the message:
    |>"Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk"
    |>I insert the xp cd and try to repair with the recovery console.
    |>then the message:
    |>"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
    |>

    |>Cant enter Safe Mode
    |>
    |>What to do?

    Take the cover off and hope you find a loose cable to the HD.

    --

    http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html

    Trax, Sep 16, 2005
  4. frankg

    Martik Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "frankg" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>XP Pro
    > |>
    > |>My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    > |>document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted
    > with
    > |>switch.
    > |>Bios comes up, message detecting primary master, list of drives (no HD
    > |>listed), pci device listing, then the message:
    > |>"Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk"
    > |>I insert the xp cd and try to repair with the recovery console.
    > |>then the message:
    > |>"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
    > |>

    > |>Cant enter Safe Mode
    > |>
    > |>What to do?
    >
    > Take the cover off and hope you find a loose cable to the HD.

    Check both the power and the data cable. Is the drive spinning? Also check
    the connection of the data cable to the motherboard.

    Martik, Sep 17, 2005
  5. frankg

    frankg Guest

    I unplugged the power supply, opened the box & msure all cables were snug
    (they were). Put it back together and started up again and it was ok - could
    this mean the HD is about to go - could it be a symptom of something else
    entirely ?

    frankg, Sep 17, 2005
  6. frankg

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in

    > "frankg" <> wrote in message
    >> XP Pro
    >>
    >> My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    >> document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted
    >> with switch.
    >> Bios comes up, message detecting primary master, list of drives (no
    >> HD listed), pci device listing, then the message:
    >> "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk"
    >> I insert the xp cd and try to repair with the recovery console.
    >> then the message:
    >> "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
    >>

    >> Cant enter Safe Mode
    >>
    >> What to do?
    >> --

    > I unplugged the power supply, opened the box & msure all cables were
    > snug (they were). Put it back together and started up again and it was
    > ok - could this mean the HD is about to go - could it be a symptom of
    > something else entirely ?

    The fault could be the power supply, the drive power lead or the hard
    drive. With the PC turned off, swap the power leads to the hard drive and
    CD drive so that when/if it happens again you'll know if it's the drive.

    You have got back-ups of your data haven't you?

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 17, 2005
  7. frankg

    frankg Guest

    >>> XP Pro
    >>>
    >>> My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    >>> document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted
    >>> with switch.
    >>> Bios comes up, message detecting primary master, list of drives (no
    >>> HD listed), pci device listing, then the message:
    >>> "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk"
    >>> I insert the xp cd and try to repair with the recovery console.
    >>> then the message:
    >>> "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
    >>>

    >>> Cant enter Safe Mode
    >>>
    >>> What to do?
    >>> --

    >> I unplugged the power supply, opened the box & msure all cables were
    >> snug (they were). Put it back together and started up again and it was
    >> ok - could this mean the HD is about to go - could it be a symptom of
    >> something else entirely ?
    >>

    > The fault could be the power supply, the drive power lead or the hard
    > drive. With the PC turned off, swap the power leads to the hard drive and
    > CD drive so that when/if it happens again you'll know if it's the drive.
    >
    > You have got back-ups of your data haven't you?

    ================
    I am making backups of important files.
    Nonetheless even with backups it's an enormous hassle to contemplate a
    wrecked HD.
    I am thinking of buying a second one, and trying to figure out how to
    install it and move everything, including windows, across and just use the
    new HD
    Or, maybe just burn Image files with a program like TrueImage
    ???

    frankg, Sep 17, 2005
  8. frankg

    SuzieQ Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    > XP Pro
    >
    > My machine has been working perfectly but just quit while printing a
    > document. Frozen solid. Cntrl alt delete couldnt do anything.rebooted with
    > switch.

    Go to news.microsoft.com, no sign in, - ask there. They have a lot of techs
    and experts to help you.

    SQ *~

    SuzieQ, Sep 18, 2005