    grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen back, though windows xp
    loads and logs in. Any suggestions?? Thank-you!
    , Jan 22, 2007

  2. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:

    Tried starting in Safe Mode - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222 ?
    Otter, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Guest

    yup,

    some modes gives me lines of driver info, then the same again, windows
    open but just the grey screen

  4. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > yup,
    >
    > some modes gives me lines of driver info, then the same again, windows
    > open but just the grey screen

    After you read the read the article, especially "Description of Safe Boot
    options", and going into Safe Boot, what did you do?

    Otter, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Guest

    I tried all of the various options on the safe mode screen, with
    networking, debugging mode etc. everything opens up windows but i
    cannot get an image..presumably because i disabled all of the drivers...
    , Jan 22, 2007
  6. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > I tried all of the various options on the safe mode screen, with
    > networking, debugging mode etc. everything opens up windows but i
    > cannot get an image..presumably because i disabled all of the
    > drivers...

    Are you saying that you can't get into Safe Mode at all to give access to
    Control Panel, and also that you can't select "Last Good Configuration"?
    Otter, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Guest

    I can get to that screen and select "Last Good Configuration" but the
    screen after the windows xp sign comes up, stays grey....i hear the
    windows opening sign and can even hear the popping sounds of alerts on
    the desktop, but i cant see anything

  8. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > I can get to that screen and select "Last Good Configuration" but the
    > screen after the windows xp sign comes up, stays grey....i hear the
    > windows opening sign and can even hear the popping sounds of alerts on
    > the desktop, but i cant see anything

    Ok. The problem you have has often been described, but there have not been
    many successful stories - see, for example,
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18360-How-can-I-restart-vgasave.html ,
    and http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1078877521 .

    Try the Recovery Console, to enable vgasave service_system_start.
    Otter, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Walt Guest

    On 21 Jan 2007 20:59:52 -0800, wrote:

    >I did a stupid thing!
    >
    >I was having problems with my laptop display, twinkling lines of dots
    >on the screen, so I was meddling around with the display options. First
    >I changed to VGA and then i, stupidly, disabled VGA, leaving the screen
    >grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen back, though windows xp
    >loads and logs in. Any suggestions?? Thank-you!

    Reinstall the drivers for display adapter
    Walt, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Walt <walt@emailnotvalid> typed:
    > On 21 Jan 2007 20:59:52 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> I did a stupid thing!
    >>
    >> I was having problems with my laptop display, twinkling lines of dots
    >> on the screen, so I was meddling around with the display options.
    >> First I changed to VGA and then i, stupidly, disabled VGA, leaving
    >> the screen grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen back, though
    >> windows xp loads and logs in. Any suggestions?? Thank-you!

    > Reinstall the drivers for display adapter

    How? He can't see anything on the screen to do that!
    Otter, Jan 22, 2007
  11. <> wrote in message
    >I did a stupid thing!
    >
    > I was having problems with my laptop display, twinkling lines of dots
    > on the screen, so I was meddling around with the display options. First
    > I changed to VGA and then i, stupidly, disabled VGA, leaving the screen
    > grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen back, though windows xp
    > loads and logs in. Any suggestions?? Thank-you!

    Has your laptop a line-out and/or S-Video out?
    If so, the on-board video graphics may still be
    able to output to a TV/display via such outputs,
    then you can reset.
    Preview Problem, Jan 22, 2007
  12. WhzzKdd Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Walt <walt@emailnotvalid> typed:
    >> On 21 Jan 2007 20:59:52 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did a stupid thing!
    >>>
    >>> I was having problems with my laptop display, twinkling lines of
    >>> dots on the screen, so I was meddling around with the display
    >>> options. First I changed to VGA and then i, stupidly, disabled VGA,
    >>> leaving the screen grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen
    >>> back, though windows xp loads and logs in. Any suggestions??
    >>> Thank-you!

    >> Reinstall the drivers for display adapter

    > How? He can't see anything on the screen to do that!

    <VBG> That brought a chuckle...
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007
  13. WhzzKdd Guest

    Preview Problem wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I did a stupid thing!
    >>
    >> I was having problems with my laptop display, twinkling lines of dots
    >> on the screen, so I was meddling around with the display options.
    >> First I changed to VGA and then i, stupidly, disabled VGA, leaving
    >> the screen grey! Now I cant get a way to get the screen back, though
    >> windows xp loads and logs in. Any suggestions?? Thank-you!
    >>

    > Has your laptop a line-out and/or S-Video out?
    > If so, the on-board video graphics may still be
    > able to output to a TV/display via such outputs,
    > then you can reset.

    Good point. Although the laptops I've used don't simultaneously output to
    those connections, but need a toggle to turn them on. On my Sony, it's the
    Fn key/F8 combination. Other systems probably use a different set of
    keystrokes, but they should have markings on the keys. Plus I've found that
    the connection to the TV (or a VGA monitor, if that port is available)
    should be done before turning on the laptop. Then when Windows boots,
    pressing the toggle should turn on the alternate display.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007