    tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
    server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
    automativcally renew them before expiry?
    That, Jul 6, 2004

  2. That

    Mark Guest

    Wrong newsgroup....try posting under "server" catagory.

    will only give me a 24
    >hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my

    cable modem was
    >connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to

    Ethernet but has
    >returned since the addition of my router. I am connected

    via NTL and their

    Mark, Jul 6, 2004

  3. That

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Your DHCP lease time is set by your ISP not your router. Your internal
    network DHCP is set by your router. If it does not renew then maybe the
    router needs a firmware update.

    pcbutts1, Jul 6, 2004
  4. On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:48:26 GMT, "That" <> wrote:

    >For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a 24
    >hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
    >connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
    >returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
    >tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
    >server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
    >automativcally renew them before expiry?

    I have the same "issue" but have always been connected by ethernet.

    Solution for me was http://www.no-ip.com/
    to let me do all the things friends with static ips can do.

    Man I love dynamic DNS that changes whenever my ip address updates....

    <sorry for the commercial but these guys rock!>
    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================
    Marlin Munrow, Jul 6, 2004
  5. That

    That Guest

    Thanks for the tip. Err. While I'm happy to look at the various
    configurations I don't really know what I'm looking for. Plus the DNS
    servers are run by my ISP who also run the DHCP server so I don't think I
    CAN inspect their system. Soooo given that it's the only one I can really
    look at..... any ideas what I'm looking for on the router? TIA.

    "Jim ()" <Jim ()@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:...
    > The problem doesn't lie with your DHCP server and it's configuration -

    it's either your router or your DNS server.

    > Since all 3 (DNS, DHCP, and the router config itself) are possible

    candidates for this problem, I would inspect the configuration on each.

    That, Jul 6, 2004
  6. That

    That Guest

    Firstly, thanks for the original web link. Very helpful. Might actually
    solve some problems. But Mr Why?..... Why the attitude? Am I ignorant?
    Possibly ignorant of in depth DHCP issues. But I suspect Einstein and Edison
    were too.

    Interesting choice of nickname. Why? Leads to so many questions? Why did
    your parents bother giving birth to you? Why are you such a dickhead? Why
    are you such a failure with the opposite sex? Bet you never had sex without
    paying for it (personally I suspect you've never seen a girl naked). You
    should try leaving the laptop at home once in a while. You might actually
    meet one. Bet your sex talk really makes them swoon. "Show us your SIMMS
    baby" and "I've got a huge hard drive" (yes the naughty man swore).

    Of course if you need a sex life I'm sure you could pop down to the YMCA
    and offer blow jobs to the lads. A DICK-HEAD such as you would be a natural
    I'm sure.

    And why didn't I tell you the brand of router? You were obviously too
    IGNORANT to scroll down and see that I wasn't replying to YOUR Message.
    Indeed yours hadn't even appeared on my server when the reply was written.
    And guess what. I'm not GOING to tell what brand it is (go on, run home to
    mummy and tell her about the nasty man).

    So. In summary. GROW UP. LEARN SOME RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. STOP BEING
    SUCH A CONDESCENDING DICKHEAD.

    Oh and one last piece of advice which might just be useful one day if you
    ever evolve far enough. Girls don't have willies.

    ()@discussions.microsoft.com>

    That, Jul 7, 2004
  7. That

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 7, 2004 "That" blathered:

    > Firstly, thanks for the original web link. Very helpful. Might actually
    > solve some problems. But Mr Why?..... Why the attitude? Am I ignorant?
    > Possibly ignorant of in depth DHCP issues. But I suspect Einstein and
    > Edison were too.

    I didn't realize that they had DHCP back then.

    > Interesting choice of nickname. Why? Leads to so many questions? Why did
    > your parents bother giving birth to you? Why are you such a dickhead?
    > Why are you such a failure with the opposite sex? Bet you never had sex
    > without paying for it (personally I suspect you've never seen a girl
    > naked). You should try leaving the laptop at home once in a while. You
    > might actually meet one. Bet your sex talk really makes them swoon.
    > "Show us your SIMMS baby" and "I've got a huge hard drive" (yes the
    > naughty man swore).

    Interesting choice of nickname. That? Assuming a lot about someone with
    whom you've never met, aren't you "That"?

    > Of course if you need a sex life I'm sure you could pop down to the
    > YMCA
    > and offer blow jobs to the lads. A DICK-HEAD such as you would be a
    > natural I'm sure.

    And you would know, right?

    > And why didn't I tell you the brand of router? You were obviously too
    > IGNORANT to scroll down and see that I wasn't replying to YOUR Message.
    > Indeed yours hadn't even appeared on my server when the reply was
    > written. And guess what. I'm not GOING to tell what brand it is (go on,
    > run home to mummy and tell her about the nasty man).
    >
    > So. In summary. GROW UP. LEARN SOME RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. STOP
    > BEING SUCH A CONDESCENDING DICKHEAD.

    So, we shouldn't be like you then?

    > Oh and one last piece of advice which might just be useful one day if
    > you ever evolve far enough. Girls don't have willies.

    Actually, most of them do, just not (in them) all the time.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  8. circa Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:48:26 GMT, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, That () said,
    > For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a 24
    > hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
    > connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
    > returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
    > tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
    > server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
    > automativcally renew them before expiry?

    Renewal is not the function of the server- it is the function of the
    client. Your router is the likely problem, not their server.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 12, 2004