    service"?

    Thanks,
    JK

    jrk, Jan 27, 2006

  2. jrk

    MrB Guest

    I took a course on this years ago. As I recall (very dim memory of the
    subject), avoid negative questions. If I'm wrong, sorry. Free advice is
    worth what you pay for it.

    MrB, Jan 27, 2006

  3. jrk

    docmill Guest

    "jrk" <> wrote in news:1138329242.630771.156990
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a very simplistic formal SLA target that I have to meet: "85% or
    > greater of respondents are satisfied with the quality of service being
    > delivered".
    >
    > I ask 4 questions covering various facets of service and compile the
    > overall figures into a single percentage.
    >
    > However, one for the psychologists: am I more likely to get a good
    > score by asking a negative question or a positive question - e.g. "Are
    > you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you satisfied with
    > service"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JK

    Are you more satisfied with a foreskin or without one. What the hell are
    you servicing?

    --
    **************SEND ME A LINK******************
    Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Jan 27, 2006
  4. jrk

    jrk Guest

    oh dear - there's always someone who thinks this sort of response
    demonstrates how very smart they are. Poor disillusioned souls, little
    do they realise they are not funny.

    jrk, Jan 27, 2006
  5. jrk

    Gutz Guest

    "jrk" <> wrote in message
    >I have a very simplistic formal SLA target that I have to meet: "85% or
    > greater of respondents are satisfied with the quality of service being
    > delivered".
    >
    > I ask 4 questions covering various facets of service and compile the
    > overall figures into a single percentage.
    >
    > However, one for the psychologists: am I more likely to get a good
    > score by asking a negative question or a positive question - e.g. "Are
    > you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you satisfied with
    > service"?

    Try them both :p I like to do experiments with customers. If you ask a
    customer 'Is everything else alright for you?' they say 'Yeah but there was
    this small thing, it doesnt matter tho' - theyre jus happy that you asked.
    But if you try to rush the customer off the phone they start listing
    *everything* thats wrong as they feel they wasted their time when they
    queued for you.

    Gutz, Jan 27, 2006
  6. jrk

    jda Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:08:07 -0000, Gutz came up with this fine idea in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "jrk" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a very simplistic formal SLA target that I have to meet: "85% or
    >> greater of respondents are satisfied with the quality of service being
    >> delivered".
    >>
    >> I ask 4 questions covering various facets of service and compile the
    >> overall figures into a single percentage.
    >>
    >> However, one for the psychologists: am I more likely to get a good
    >> score by asking a negative question or a positive question - e.g. "Are
    >> you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you satisfied with
    >> service"?

    > Try them both :p I like to do experiments with customers. If you ask a
    > customer 'Is everything else alright for you?' they say 'Yeah but there was
    > this small thing, it doesnt matter tho' - theyre jus happy that you asked.
    > But if you try to rush the customer off the phone they start listing
    > *everything* thats wrong as they feel they wasted their time when they
    > queued for you.

    The problem with customers is that they are users. The best way to instruct
    them not to get virus is to cut the cable to the surrounding world. And
    that way they don't have any trouble with the settings to the ADSL
    connections either

    --
    Jakob

    jda, Jan 27, 2006
  7. jrk

    PC Guest

    "jrk" <> wrote in message
    >I have a very simplistic formal SLA target that I have to meet: "85% or
    > greater of respondents are satisfied with the quality of service being
    > delivered".
    >
    > I ask 4 questions covering various facets of service and compile the
    > overall figures into a single percentage.
    >
    > However, one for the psychologists: am I more likely to get a good
    > score by asking a negative question or a positive question - e.g. "Are
    > you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you satisfied with
    > service"?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JK

    JK

    In all seriousness aren't you trying to write the questions in a way that
    the 85% target is met rather than finding out the 'truth'.

    In all my training I was taught to ask 'open' questions, e.g. Who, What,
    When, Why, How...

    The type of question you are posing are 'closed' questions, they only have a
    yes or no response.

    To use your example ""Are you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you
    satisfied with service"?"
    These are 'closed' questions and can only elicit a yes or no response full
    stop, goodnight, finish, end of comment.
    To expand on their response you then have to ask another question which
    takes you toward 'leading the witness' so to speak.

    Questions that get at the truth could be 'How would you rate our service '
    or 'In what way does our service meet meet your expectations'.
    (The questions need a little polish but you get the idea)
    These questions immediately get a response involving more than one word and
    are an invitation to expand on how the service has met /not met their needs.
    These responses take you down the path the customer / client feels is
    important not what's important to you.

    Imagine this:
    "Are you dissatisfied with our service"? --- response "no"
    "Are you satisfied with service"? ---response 'mostly', Now you're in a bind
    as you have to ask 'why' and there is no little box for you to tick.
    How do you 'quantify' a response like 'they don't put red knobs on them'!
    (see how you end up with open questions anyway)

    On the other hand:
    "How would you rate our service in percentage terms"? -- response 'pretty
    good, I'd say 95%, but it would be 100% of they just put red knobs on them'

    Hey now we've got a number for the bean counters and at the same time an
    indication where you need to take the business.
    Much better than a bland "85% of our clients were satisfied with our
    service"

    At the end of the day the customers pay the bills, to many Managers forget
    that.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 27, 2006
  8. jrk

    zarathustra Guest

    "PC" <> gibbered:

    >"jrk" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a very simplistic formal SLA target that I have to meet: "85% or
    >> greater of respondents are satisfied with the quality of service being
    >> delivered".
    >>
    >> I ask 4 questions covering various facets of service and compile the
    >> overall figures into a single percentage.
    >>
    >> However, one for the psychologists: am I more likely to get a good
    >> score by asking a negative question or a positive question - e.g. "Are
    >> you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you satisfied with
    >> service"?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> JK
    >>

    >JK
    >
    >In all seriousness aren't you trying to write the questions in a way that
    >the 85% target is met rather than finding out the 'truth'.
    >
    >In all my training I was taught to ask 'open' questions, e.g. Who, What,
    >When, Why, How...
    >
    >The type of question you are posing are 'closed' questions, they only have a
    >yes or no response.
    >
    >To use your example ""Are you dissatisfied with service" as against "are you
    >satisfied with service"?"
    >These are 'closed' questions and can only elicit a yes or no response full
    >stop, goodnight, finish, end of comment.
    >To expand on their response you then have to ask another question which
    >takes you toward 'leading the witness' so to speak.
    >
    >Questions that get at the truth could be 'How would you rate our service '
    >or 'In what way does our service meet meet your expectations'.
    >(The questions need a little polish but you get the idea)
    >These questions immediately get a response involving more than one word and
    >are an invitation to expand on how the service has met /not met their needs.
    >These responses take you down the path the customer / client feels is
    >important not what's important to you.
    >
    >Imagine this:
    >"Are you dissatisfied with our service"? --- response "no"
    >"Are you satisfied with service"? ---response 'mostly', Now you're in a bind
    >as you have to ask 'why' and there is no little box for you to tick.
    >How do you 'quantify' a response like 'they don't put red knobs on them'!
    >(see how you end up with open questions anyway)
    >
    >On the other hand:
    >"How would you rate our service in percentage terms"? -- response 'pretty
    >good, I'd say 95%, but it would be 100% of they just put red knobs on them'
    >
    >Hey now we've got a number for the bean counters and at the same time an
    >indication where you need to take the business.
    >Much better than a bland "85% of our clients were satisfied with our
    >service"
    >

    >At the end of the day the customers pay the bills, to many Managers forget
    >that.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    How much do you charge, and when can you start?

    =]

    zarathustra, Jan 29, 2006
  9. jrk

    jrk Guest

    Thanks for your detailed reply.
    In fact my current questions are not yes/no but on a scaleof 5 values
    from extremely satisifed through to extremely dissatisifed.
    And, I have 4 questions on varioius components of the service, that are
    answered on this scale.

    However, the contract with the client has the single SLA component
    covering Help Desk (i.e. ""85% or greater of respondents are satisfied
    with the quality of service being delivered"), and the client says that
    can be measured with a single question!

    That's where my confusion comes in. Yes, there are very interesting
    things to be discovered about ones service from a user survey, but I
    still need to report on that single figure each and every month. I'm
    not trying to bend that figure to make it say what I want (i.e. 85%)
    but any statistician will tell you you can alter the response to the
    same question by altering the way the question is formed.

    Regards,
    JK

    jrk, Jan 29, 2006
  10. jrk

    gangle Guest

    "jrk" wrote

    Who the **** are you talking to?

    gangle, Jan 29, 2006
  11. jrk

    PC Guest

    "jrk" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your detailed reply.
    > In fact my current questions are not yes/no but on a scaleof 5 values
    > from extremely satisifed through to extremely dissatisifed.
    > And, I have 4 questions on varioius components of the service, that are
    > answered on this scale.
    >
    > However, the contract with the client has the single SLA component
    > covering Help Desk (i.e. ""85% or greater of respondents are satisfied
    > with the quality of service being delivered"), and the client says that
    > can be measured with a single question!
    >
    > That's where my confusion comes in. Yes, there are very interesting
    > things to be discovered about ones service from a user survey, but I
    > still need to report on that single figure each and every month. I'm
    > not trying to bend that figure to make it say what I want (i.e. 85%)
    > but any statistician will tell you you can alter the response to the
    > same question by altering the way the question is formed.
    >
    > Regards,
    > JK

    JK

    "and the client says that can be measured with a single question!"

    Oh dear, you have got a lulu haven't you.
    I guess it demonstrates why they contracted out the Help Desk function!

    So as to the question content, all I can say is 'positive' words are best,
    just like the bad first/good last rule.

    Another thought is to plead dumb an go back and ask them to 'help' you
    formulate the 'quality of service' question.
    i.e. find out how 'they' would measure it.

    Other than that if they leave it up to you to arrive at this 'percentage'
    how do they know how you calculate it?

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Re: Re: Help Desk Customer Satisfaction Surveys?

    gangle wrote:

    "jrk" wrote

    >Who the **** are you talking to?

    Are you venting your feelings now?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Re: Re: Help Desk Customer Satisfaction Surveys?

    gangle wrote:

    "jrk" wrote

    >Who the **** are you talking to?

    Are you angry?