Help deleting mystery file ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Feigel, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. File mystery:

    I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    window:

    Error Deleting File or Folder

    Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    too long. Specify a different filename.

    I have tried renaming it to "trpix.gif" , but get another error window
    that reads:

    Error Renaming File or Folder

    Cannot rename file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    too long. Specify a different filename.

    File name is:

    trpix.gif_&rdm=62582370&dlv=1028,30022,382286,177088,660284&kid=177088&chw=9177088-&tcs=&bls3=000000U&bls4=010000382261&uid=1&dmn=.c3-0.a.com&scx=1024&scy=768&scc=32&jav=1&sta=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659,408,501&iid=382286&bid=660284

    In properties, the type of file is:

    COM&SCX=1024&SCY=768&SCC=32&JAV=1&STA=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659
    File

    Since I don't know what this file is, I have made its properties
    "Read-only" and denied access to the file under advanced security.

    Nothing has shown up in any scans (virus, spyware, malware,
    keyloggers, etc). But I'd still like to zap the bugger. Any
    suggestions? Thanks.

    Robert Feigel, Aug 11, 2006

  2. On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >File mystery:
    >
    >I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    >music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    >like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    >window:

    My mistake. It's not a 43kb file. It's a 43byte file.

    Robert Feigel, Aug 11, 2006

  3. Robert Feigel

    Ray Greene Guest

    wrote:

    >File mystery:
    >
    >I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    >music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    >like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    >window:
    >
    > Error Deleting File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >too long. Specify a different filename.
    >
    >I have tried renaming it to "trpix.gif" , but get another error window
    >that reads:
    >
    > Error Renaming File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot rename file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >too long. Specify a different filename.
    >
    >File name is:
    >
    >trpix.gif_&rdm=62582370&dlv=1028,30022,382286,177088,660284&kid=177088&chw=9177088-&tcs=&bls3=000000U&bls4=010000382261&uid=1&dmn=.c3-0.a.com&scx=1024&scy=768&scc=32&jav=1&sta=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659,408,501&iid=382286&bid=660284
    >

    >In properties, the type of file is:
    >

    >COM&SCX=1024&SCY=768&SCC=32&JAV=1&STA=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659
    >File
    >
    >Since I don't know what this file is, I have made its properties
    >"Read-only" and denied access to the file under advanced security.
    >
    >Nothing has shown up in any scans (virus, spyware, malware,
    >keyloggers, etc). But I'd still like to zap the bugger. Any
    >suggestions? Thanks.

    The length of the file name is confusing Windows.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the file is and type

    del trpix.gif*

    That should do the trick.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Robert Feigel

    none Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > The length of the file name is confusing Windows.
    > Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the file is and type
    >
    > del trpix.gif*
    >
    > That should do the trick.

    Or do a dir /x

    That will give you the ms-dos short names (usually somethi~1.ext)

    You can delete using the shortnames to make life easy.

    none, Aug 11, 2006
  5. On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:42:54 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>File mystery:
    >>
    >>I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    >>music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    >>like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    >>window:
    >>
    >> Error Deleting File or Folder
    >>
    >> Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >>too long. Specify a different filename.
    >>
    >>I have tried renaming it to "trpix.gif" , but get another error window
    >>that reads:
    >>
    >> Error Renaming File or Folder
    >>
    >> Cannot rename file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >>too long. Specify a different filename.
    >>
    >>File name is:
    >>
    >> <SNIP!>
    >>

    >>In properties, the type of file is:
    >>

    >>COM&SCX=1024&SCY=768&SCC=32&JAV=1&STA=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659
    >>File
    >>
    >>Since I don't know what this file is, I have made its properties
    >>"Read-only" and denied access to the file under advanced security.
    >>
    >>Nothing has shown up in any scans (virus, spyware, malware,
    >>keyloggers, etc). But I'd still like to zap the bugger. Any
    >>suggestions? Thanks.

    >The length of the file name is confusing Windows.
    >Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the file is and type
    >
    >del trpix.gif*
    >
    >That should do the trick.

    Well ... this has been a crawl down memory lane! I haven't tried any
    command prompts for several years and admit to having forgotten my way
    around. First I ran "cmd" (also tried in "command") and was able to
    get from C:\Documents and Settings by entering " CD\" . But this is
    the first time I've had a partitioned HD and, so far, I haven't
    figured out how to get from C:\ to E:\ - where the pesky file resides.
    Sorry to be a pain, but how the blazes can I navigate to the folder in
    E:\ where the file resides? The path is <E:\Agent
    downloads\trpix.gif*>.

    Robert Feigel, Aug 11, 2006
  6. Robert Feigel

    Shane Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:42:54 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>File mystery:
    >>>
    >>>I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    >>>music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    >>>like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    >>>window:
    >>>
    >>>Error Deleting File or Folder
    >>>
    >>>Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >>>too long. Specify a different filename.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried renaming it to "trpix.gif" , but get another error window
    >>>that reads:
    >>>
    >>>Error Renaming File or Folder
    >>>
    >>>Cannot rename file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >>>too long. Specify a different filename.
    >>>
    >>>File name is:
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP!>
    >>>

    >>>In properties, the type of file is:
    >>>

    >>>COM&SCX=1024&SCY=768&SCC=32&JAV=1&STA=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659
    >>>File
    >>>
    >>>Since I don't know what this file is, I have made its properties
    >>>"Read-only" and denied access to the file under advanced security.
    >>>
    >>>Nothing has shown up in any scans (virus, spyware, malware,
    >>>keyloggers, etc). But I'd still like to zap the bugger. Any
    >>>suggestions? Thanks.

    >>The length of the file name is confusing Windows.
    >>Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the file is and
    >>type
    >>
    >>del trpix.gif*
    >>
    >>That should do the trick.

    > Well ... this has been a crawl down memory lane! I haven't tried any
    > command prompts for several years and admit to having forgotten my way
    > around. First I ran "cmd" (also tried in "command") and was able to
    > get from C:\Documents and Settings by entering " CD\" . But this is
    > the first time I've had a partitioned HD and, so far, I haven't
    > figured out how to get from C:\ to E:\ - where the pesky file resides.
    > Sorry to be a pain, but how the blazes can I navigate to the folder in
    > E:\ where the file resides? The path is <E:\Agent
    > downloads\trpix.gif*>.

    just type the drive colon
    eg
    c>\ e:
    e>\ cd Agent<tab>
    e>\ del trpix.gif*

    (I forget what the prompt on a windows box looks like off the top)
    (the <tab> means use your tab for completion .. saves typing ;-)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Aug 11, 2006
  7. On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:56:53 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Robert Feigel wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:42:54 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    >> magnanimously proffered:

    >>>The length of the file name is confusing Windows.
    >>>Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the file is and
    >>>type
    >>>
    >>>del trpix.gif*
    >>>
    >>>That should do the trick.

    >> Well ... this has been a crawl down memory lane! I haven't tried any
    >> command prompts for several years and admit to having forgotten my way
    >> around. First I ran "cmd" (also tried in "command") and was able to
    >> get from C:\Documents and Settings by entering " CD\" . But this is
    >> the first time I've had a partitioned HD and, so far, I haven't
    >> figured out how to get from C:\ to E:\ - where the pesky file resides.
    >> Sorry to be a pain, but how the blazes can I navigate to the folder in
    >> E:\ where the file resides? The path is <E:\Agent
    >> downloads\trpix.gif*>.

    >just type the drive colon
    >eg
    >c>\ e:
    >e>\ cd Agent<tab>
    >e>\ del trpix.gif*
    >
    >(I forget what the prompt on a windows box looks like off the top)
    >(the <tab> means use your tab for completion .. saves typing ;-)

    Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    Robert Feigel, Aug 11, 2006
  8. Robert Feigel

    peterwn Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:56:53 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    > Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    > learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    If you want to check for thoroughly hidden Windows files, or want to
    delete something that will not delete, load in a CD based Linux with
    'Midnight Commander', mount the Windows partition and you can then see
    or delete anything. Don't however delete 'essential' files like the
    registry.

    peterwn, Aug 11, 2006
  9. Robert Feigel

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:08:39 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:

    > Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    > learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    See gentle people, if you know what you want, then nothing else beats the
    command line for power. You *need* it at times.

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2006
  10. Robert Feigel

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-11, Robert Feigel <> wrote:
    > File mystery:
    >
    > I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    > music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    > like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    > window:
    >
    > Error Deleting File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    > too long. Specify a different filename.
    >
    > I have tried renaming it to "trpix.gif" , but get another error window
    > that reads:
    >
    > Error Renaming File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot rename file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    > too long. Specify a different filename.
    >
    > File name is:
    >
    > trpix.gif_&rdm=62582370&dlv=1028,30022,382286,177088,660284&kid=177088&chw=9177088-&tcs=&bls3=000000U&bls4=010000382261&uid=1&dmn=.c3-0.a.com&scx=1024&scy=768&scc=32&jav=1&sta=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659,408,501&iid=382286&bid=660284
    >

    > In properties, the type of file is:
    >

    > COM&SCX=1024&SCY=768&SCC=32&JAV=1&STA=,,,1,,,,,,,0,5,0,19679,19579,14659
    > File

    looks like something you downloaded from the wwweb.

    "type of file" is meaningless here. ti's just whatever windows finds after
    the last . in the filename

    > Since I don't know what this file is, I have made its properties
    > "Read-only" and denied access to the file under advanced security.

    it's probably safe...

    > Nothing has shown up in any scans (virus, spyware, malware,
    > keyloggers, etc). But I'd still like to zap the bugger. Any
    > suggestions? Thanks.

    some things to try.

    sidestep the problem:
    move everything else out of the folder and drop the whole folder in the trash.

    sneak up on it:
    "move" the file into a archive and then delete the archive

    use a bigger hammer:
    try a different file management tool
    try the command-line

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Aug 11, 2006
  11. Robert Feigel

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-11, Robert Feigel <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel
    ><> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>File mystery:
    >>
    >>I have found this strange 43kb file in the folder I created for mpg3
    >>music downloads from an alt.binaries Usenet group. It's the only file
    >>like it and I cannot delete it. When I try I get the following error
    >>window:

    > My mistake. It's not a 43kb file. It's a 43byte file.

    exactly the right size for a 1 pixel by 1 pixel gif....
    which is probably all it is.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Aug 11, 2006
  12. Robert Feigel

    Enkidu Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:08:39 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:
    >
    >> Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    >> learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    > See gentle people, if you know what you want, then nothing else beats the
    > command line for power. You *need* it at times.

    You don't need to tell Microsoft. Anything useful can be done on the
    command line, which is a complete reverse on 5 - 6 years ago.

    Try administering 1000s of users with a GUI.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Robert Feigel

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:29:23 -0000, jasen <> wrote:

    >some things to try.
    >
    >sidestep the problem:
    > move everything else out of the folder and drop the whole folder in the trash.
    >
    >sneak up on it:
    > "move" the file into a archive and then delete the archive

    I tried that once with the same sort of thing but ended up with a file
    that wouldn't go when the trash was emptied. In the end I beat it
    with the Knoppix bootable CD.

    I wonder if it would go if you zipped it first then zapped the zip?

    GraB, Aug 11, 2006
  14. Robert Feigel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Robert Feigel wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:56:53 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    > > Robert Feigel wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:42:54 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    > > > magnanimously proffered:

    > > > Well ... this has been a crawl down memory lane! I haven't tried
    > > > any command prompts for several years and admit to having
    > > > forgotten my way around. First I ran "cmd" (also tried in
    > > > "command") and was able to get from C:\Documents and Settings by
    > > > entering " CD\" . But this is the first time I've had a
    > > > partitioned HD and, so far, I haven't figured out how to get from
    > > > C:\ to E:\ - where the pesky file resides. Sorry to be a pain,
    > > > but how the blazes can I navigate to the folder in E:\ where the
    > > > file resides? The path is <E:\Agent downloads\trpix.gif*>.

    > > just type the drive colon
    > > eg
    > > c>\ e:
    > > e>\ cd Agent<tab>
    > > e>\ del trpix.gif*
    > >
    > > (I forget what the prompt on a windows box looks like off the top)
    > > (the <tab> means use your tab for completion .. saves typing ;-)

    > Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    > learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    Heh! Bingo? Do you have Asperger's? :)

    Glad you got it resolved.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 11, 2006
  15. Robert Feigel

    Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Robert Feigel wrote:
    > > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:56:53 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > > magnanimously proffered:
    > >
    > > Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    > > learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    > If you want to check for thoroughly hidden Windows files, or want to
    > delete something that will not delete, load in a CD based Linux with
    > 'Midnight Commander', mount the Windows partition and you can then see
    > or delete anything. Don't however delete 'essential' files like the
    > registry.

    or get Midnight Comander for windows.

    http://homepages.compuserve.de/SiegwardJaekel/mc-gb.htm

    , Aug 12, 2006
  16. On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:47:02 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >>Robert Feigel wrote:
    >>
    >> Bingo! The file is now history. Thank you Ray and Shane! I've also
    >> learned some very useful new info in the process. Cheers, b

    >Heh! Bingo? Do you have Asperger's? :)
    >
    >Glad you got it resolved.

    Can I move my hands now ;-)b

    Robert Feigel, Aug 12, 2006
  17. Robert Feigel

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:

    > Error Deleting File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    > too long. Specify a different filename.

    (I know you just fixed it, but you might find the below story interesting
    anyway. BTW, you could have likely deleted that file from the GUI by
    putting it in a folder and then deleting the folder.)

    Had one recently that said the file did not exist when you went to delete
    it. But there it was, in any directory listing, right there pain in the
    arse.

    Corel Draw did it. Some corrupt file type. I think Corel managed to spit
    the dummy after it opened a file for write, but before it closed it.
    Scandisk etc found no problem. I could move it, just not delete it. Even
    tried putting it into a subdir and deleting the subdir - no go. Tried
    renaming it, no diff.

    Even tried deleting it from a boot CD or three. No go.

    Various undelete and other filesystem utils would not do it either (and I
    have some very powerful stuff - all the big names).

    Could have fucked around with a sector editor I guess, IF I knew enough
    about MFT tables and NTFS...

    In the end I used a program called 'unlocker'. It's meant for deleting
    files that are locked by the filesystem, useful for viruses/spyware... But
    it has one other feature also: it uses some low level shit to delete,
    rename etc. So I chose delete, and it was GONE! Yay! **** with me will ya!
    lol

    And this is why I tell you all this now in my long winded way. Might be
    useful to someone...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #136524 +(4060)- [X]

    <Raven> I tried setting my hotmail password to penis.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/08/2006 2:10:30 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 12, 2006
  18. Robert Feigel

    aka Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 02:43:24 +1200, Brendan <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:44:53 +1200, Robert Feigel wrote:
    >
    >> Error Deleting File or Folder
    >>
    >> Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is invalid or
    >> too long. Specify a different filename.

    >(I know you just fixed it, but you might find the below story interesting
    >anyway. BTW, you could have likely deleted that file from the GUI by
    >putting it in a folder and then deleting the folder.)
    >
    >Had one recently that said the file did not exist when you went to delete
    >it. But there it was, in any directory listing, right there pain in the
    >arse.
    >
    >Corel Draw did it. Some corrupt file type. I think Corel managed to spit
    >the dummy after it opened a file for write, but before it closed it.
    >Scandisk etc found no problem. I could move it, just not delete it. Even
    >tried putting it into a subdir and deleting the subdir - no go. Tried
    >renaming it, no diff.
    >
    >Even tried deleting it from a boot CD or three. No go.
    >
    >Various undelete and other filesystem utils would not do it either (and I
    >have some very powerful stuff - all the big names).
    >
    >Could have fucked around with a sector editor I guess, IF I knew enough
    >about MFT tables and NTFS...
    >
    >In the end I used a program called 'unlocker'. It's meant for deleting
    >files that are locked by the filesystem, useful for viruses/spyware... But
    >it has one other feature also: it uses some low level shit to delete,
    >rename etc. So I chose delete, and it was GONE! Yay! **** with me will ya!
    >lol
    >
    >And this is why I tell you all this now in my long winded way. Might be
    >useful to someone...

    Thanks for that. I've experienced all of the issues listed on the
    publisher's website, including:

    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

    I run into some of these regularly when shifting back and forth
    between My Computer and the files on a flash drive and find that I
    have to reboot to get any further. Hopefully, this tiny utility is
    going to make life much easier.

    Publisher: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

    Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

    aka Bob, Aug 13, 2006