Help! Defragger nightmares!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Stan, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I'm posting here in hopes that one of my fellow A+ gurus can help. I'm
    an A+ myself, but this one has me stumped.

    I just tried two third party defraggers including Diskeeper and
    Perfectdisk (thinking they were better than the Windows defragger).

    The nightmare is that my customer's computer now takes nearly five
    minutes to boot up. His Windows XP used to only take about a minute or less.

    Here's what is interesting: right after I defrag using ANY of the
    programs including Windows XP defragger, the machine will boot very
    fast. However, EVERY TIME AFTER THAT FIRST INITIAL BOOT, it takes about
    5 minutes.

    In other words, I only get one good (fast) boot after every defrag
    session...and every boot-up after that are 5 minute boots.

    Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on here? I'm sure that the
    defraggers caused this, but aside from re-building the entire drive what
    can I do?

    Thanks,

    Stan
     
    Stan, Dec 23, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Nothing like expermenting with new software on a customers
    > computer....smoothy move there exlax!!!


    These are tested & proven defrag programs with excellent reviews. They
    are at version levels 7 and 10, not beta!

    Well, I'm glad you wouldn't do anything so stupid!

    -stan
     
    Stan, Dec 23, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Stan wrote:
    > I'm posting here in hopes that one of my fellow A+ gurus can help. I'm
    > an A+ myself, but this one has me stumped.
    >
    > I just tried two third party defraggers including Diskeeper and
    > Perfectdisk (thinking they were better than the Windows defragger).
    >
    > The nightmare is that my customer's computer now takes nearly five
    > minutes to boot up. His Windows XP used to only take about a minute or
    > less.
    >
    > Here's what is interesting: right after I defrag using ANY of the
    > programs including Windows XP defragger, the machine will boot very
    > fast. However, EVERY TIME AFTER THAT FIRST INITIAL BOOT, it takes about
    > 5 minutes.
    >
    > In other words, I only get one good (fast) boot after every defrag
    > session...and every boot-up after that are 5 minute boots.


    I'm wondering if the machine is somehow compromised with spyware/malware
    and system restore is somehow reverting the system.

    Has the system been completely checked for viruses/assorted malware?

    JUst about the best tool I've come across is the Ultimate Boot CD for
    Windows http://www.ubcd4win.com

    This is a very versatile system recovery/testing tool that allows you to
    boot Windows XP from the CD and run disgnostics against the system and
    especially the hard drive *without* having to use the hard drive to boot
    the system. I've used it myself to clean up systems that were heavily
    compromised with all kinds of downloaders/viruses/trojans/malware that
    it was virtually impossible to boot from the hard drive.

    UBCD4WIN is based on the work done by Bart Lagerweij called Bart PE.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Good luck!

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+
    To reply just drop "YOUR PANTS" in my addy!!
     
    John P. Dearing, Dec 23, 2005
    #3
  4. Stan

    Stan Guest

    John P. Dearing wrote:

    > JUst about the best tool I've come across is the Ultimate Boot CD for
    > Windows http://www.ubcd4win.com


    This looks like a incredibly handy tool! I appreciate the good advice.

    I won't hesitate build myself a UBCD4WIN disk !

    Thanks John! (Happy Holidays!)
     
    Stan, Dec 23, 2005
    #4
  5. Stan

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Stan <anonymous> wrote in news::

    > Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on here? I'm sure that
    > the defraggers caused this, but aside from re-building the entire
    > drive what can I do?


    Not really, but you can start with these:

    Check the event log. What does it show?

    Did you remove these defragging utilities from his system?

    Use Autoruns from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
    to see what is auto starting at login.

    Is it slow booting up to the login screen or after?

    Use Process Explorer from
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html. What is
    running in memory? It has a nice load graph as well to show you whats
    chugging on your system.

    Adam
     
    Adam Leinss, Dec 23, 2005
    #5
  6. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Adam Leinss wrote:

    > Use Autoruns from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
    > to see what is auto starting at login.


    Whatever this software is, it doesn't run under *my* Windows XP Pro. It
    crashes and stops responding to the system when I run it.

    > Is it slow booting up to the login screen or after?


    It is slow booting to the login screen. After that, all is well.

    -stan
     
    Stan, Dec 24, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. bolshy

    defragger

    bolshy, Feb 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    761
    Plato
    Feb 28, 2005
  2. WTD The Power of Nightmares

    , Apr 26, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    415
  3. Doc
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,179
    Mitch
    Dec 11, 2007
  4. Ray Greene

    Defragger recommendations

    Ray Greene, Nov 6, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    54
    Views:
    1,049
    jasen
    Nov 12, 2006
  5. BP

    Defragger (and other) Over head

    BP, Jun 1, 2009, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    453
    Tony Sperling
    Jun 3, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page