    Please advise!

    --
    Elias
    lallous, May 25, 2007

  2. lallous

    pvdg42 Guest

    "lallous" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I am purchasing a new Intel Core 2 Duo machine 2.4ghz machine.
    >
    > What operating system should I install on it (except Vista):
    >
    > Windows XP 32 or 64?
    >
    > Since as I read the Core2Duo is 64bit machine, isn't it better to have the
    > OS run in 64 bit?
    >
    > However, all my applications are 32 bit...so again what I gain from win64
    > I lose for the 32bits applications.
    >
    > Please advise!
    >
    > --
    > Elias

    Charlie Russel wrote an excellent white paper for XP x64 which also
    applies to Vista x64, it's available at
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc.
    pvdg42, May 25, 2007

  3. lallous

    lallous Guest

    Hello,

    Thanks for pointing that document out, it is informative indeed.

    Now since most of my apps are 32bit apps so are my drivers, and even the
    machine is 64bit, per that document, I would not gain much in my scenario.

    I'll stick to 32bit XP for the time being, and use Vista 64 on another
    partition.

    lallous, May 25, 2007
  4. The fact that your apps are 32bit does not mean that they don't run on x64.

    Please be aware that installing XP and Vista in a dual boot configuration
    will mean the loss of Vista files that are important for recovery whenever
    you boot into XP. This includes Vista's shadow copies, restore points, and
    backups.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 25, 2007
  5. lallous

    lallous Guest

    Hello Colin,

    On May 25, 10:51 pm, "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:
    > The fact that your apps are 32bit does not mean that they don't run on x64.

    They will run, but I was concerned about the speed loss due to a
    certain emulation layer between 32 and 64.

    > Please be aware that installing XP and Vista in a dual boot configuration
    > will mean the loss of Vista files that are important for recovery whenever
    > you boot into XP. This includes Vista's shadow copies, restore points, and
    > backups.

    I don't understand what you mean, can you elaborate more on what you
    said?

    I never installed Vista before, but would installing XP and Vista on
    different partitions cause problems?

    --
    Elias
    lallous, May 26, 2007
  6. 32bit software runs natively on 64bit processors. It is not like you have
    to run 32bits in an emulated computer or something. Only certain things
    like OS calls and such have to be translated for 64bits. The WOW64
    ("Windows on Windows 64bit) layer that does this is less than 1MB. The
    gains in the greater headroom in a 64bit cpu often mean that some 32bit
    software runs slightly faster on a 64bit OS.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 26, 2007
  7. lallous

    Terrence Guest

    lallous wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for pointing that document out, it is informative indeed.
    >
    > Now since most of my apps are 32bit apps so are my drivers, and even the
    > machine is 64bit, per that document, I would not gain much in my scenario.
    >
    > I'll stick to 32bit XP for the time being, and use Vista 64 on another
    > partition.

    I did the same thing. Even though many applications run OK on 64 bit OS,
    many drivers do not. I find XP 32 to be the most reliable OS ever. Why
    dump it?
    Terrence, May 28, 2007