Help deciding on a Digital Cam?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jamie, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Hi There

    Ive asked allot of questions on this forum and ive learnt allot.
    Thanks to everyone who has answered me questions and imparted great
    knowledge.

    So after getting all the info I needed im deciding on getting me a digicam.

    I was thinking of the Olympus c-8080 8mp (28-140mm) (35mm equivalent) with a
    teleconverter
    or the Minolta Dimage A2 but ive read allot of reviews and its said that
    this camera's images are very soft don't know if that is true.
    and maybe Canon pro 1 but been hearing allot of bad things namely dust
    getting into the lens.

    But also since im probly only going to print maximum 8x10 wont 8mp be
    unnecessary.
    So should I be looking at ultra zoom digicams at 5mp.

    Would go dslr but then id have to get two extra lens since id mostly need
    (28-200mm) and a macro feature
    at that does not come cheap.

    a 28 or a 35 width lens will be sufficient.

    So need help?

    Thanks agian for all your comments.

    Jamie.

    Jamie, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Jamie

    Gary Guest

    I got the Pro1 and am very happy with it. It would be nice if it saved the
    picture faster to go onto the next pick but I can live with is as I take all
    my pics at the maximum resolution.

    Gary, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Jamie

    Chrlz Guest

    > I was thinking of the Olympus c-8080 8mp (28-140mm) (35mm equivalent) with a
    > teleconverter
    > or the Minolta Dimage A2 but ive read allot of reviews and its said that
    > this camera's images are very soft don't know if that is true.
    > and maybe Canon pro 1 but been hearing allot of bad things namely dust
    > getting into the lens.

    Visit www.dpreview.com, and there you will get a better idea of what
    'soft' means, and you could check the forums for other opinions.. The
    Oly lens is clearly better than the Minolta, but it doesn't have the
    zoom range, and at 10x8, would you see it?? Debatable.

    > But also since im probly only going to print maximum 8x10 wont 8mp be
    > unnecessary.

    'Headroom' is always nice, for cropping, and just a cleaner look
    overall. But the jump from 5-8MP has been a big one for
    manufacturers, and the chips are noisier, they are much more sensitive
    to lens problems, eg the purple fringing problem and softness issues
    with pretty well every 28-200 that has been stuck in front of an 8Mp
    chip... That's why Oly went for the lesser lens range, methinks...

    > So should I be looking at ultra zoom digicams at 5mp.

    It's a line ball, IMO, if you are usually only going to 10x8. I like
    the 8Mp cameras despite their problems, but that's mainly because I DO
    like to print to 11x17 and even a little bigger occasionally, and the
    5Mp just doesn't quite make it. I've compared results from the 8Mp
    Sony 828, and the 5Mp 717 and the difference at 11x17 is very
    noticable, as you would expect. The 8Mp 11x17's are quite stunning,
    even on quite close inspection.

    > Would go dslr but then id have to get two extra lens since id mostly need
    > (28-200mm) and a macro feature
    > at that does not come cheap.

    Agreed.

    FWIW, for my personal camera I've just ordered the Oly on the strength
    of it's reviews, and having used many cameras at work - including the
    Sony 828. My last personal camera was the Sony 717, and it will be
    sorely missed!! The Oly had better be good!

    Chrlz, Oct 27, 2004