    simple.

    Thanks.

    rgds/Bob

    BobW, Apr 10, 2005

  2. BobW

    Roland Guest

    On 10-4-2005 18:51, BobW wrote:
    > Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    > Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the page
    > and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not there.
    >
    > I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut that
    > is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on the
    > existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but that is
    > just not working.
    >
    > There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages in
    > Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    > simple.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > rgds/Bob

    Probably the DeskCut extension provides the functionality you want.
    <http://deskcut.mozdev.org>
    [Though mozdev.org seems to be down at this moment]
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Apr 10, 2005

  3. BobW

    BobW Guest

    "BobW" <> wrote in message
    > Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    > Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the page
    > and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not there.
    >
    > I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut
    > that is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on the
    > existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but that is
    > just not working.
    >
    > There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages in
    > Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    > simple.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > rgds/Bob

    Bob again, - seems it is worse than I thought - on the start menu "favorits"
    all those have changed to show an Opera Icon - but don't link to anything! I
    do not have Opera as default browser.

    What a mess..

    rgds/Bob

    BobW, Apr 10, 2005
  4. BobW

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:

    > "BobW" <> wrote in message
    >> Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    >> Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the page
    >> and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not there.
    >>
    >> I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut
    >> that is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on the
    >> existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but that is
    >> just not working.
    >>
    >> There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages in
    >> Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    >> simple.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> rgds/Bob

    > Bob again, - seems it is worse than I thought - on the start menu "favorits"
    > all those have changed to show an Opera Icon - but don't link to anything! I
    > do not have Opera as default browser.
    >
    > What a mess..

    To create the shortcut, to the site. Make the browser window small
    enough for you to see a part of your desktop. Now, move the mouse
    cursor to the icon in the address bar (just before http://.... whatever).

    The corsor should change to a hand, press the mouse button and drag
    the icon to the desktop and release the mouse button. Now you should
    have a shortcut to the site. If you have Firefox as your default
    browser it should open the site from the shortcut.

    But the default browser may have changed, if you see only Opera icons
    in the Start > "Favorite" menu. So maybee you must change that in
    Firefox preferences.

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, Apr 10, 2005
  5. BobW

    BobW Guest

    "Arne" <> wrote in message
    > Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:
    >
    >> "BobW" <> wrote in message
    >>> Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    >>> Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the
    >>> page
    >>> and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut
    >>> that is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on
    >>> the
    >>> existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but that
    >>> is
    >>> just not working.
    >>>
    >>> There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages
    >>> in
    >>> Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    >>> simple.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> rgds/Bob

    >> Bob again, - seems it is worse than I thought - on the start menu
    >> "favorits"
    >> all those have changed to show an Opera Icon - but don't link to
    >> anything! I
    >> do not have Opera as default browser.
    >>
    >> What a mess..
    >>

    > To create the shortcut, to the site. Make the browser window small
    > enough for you to see a part of your desktop. Now, move the mouse
    > cursor to the icon in the address bar (just before http://.... whatever).
    >
    > The corsor should change to a hand, press the mouse button and drag
    > the icon to the desktop and release the mouse button. Now you should
    > have a shortcut to the site. If you have Firefox as your default
    > browser it should open the site from the shortcut.
    >
    > But the default browser may have changed, if you see only Opera icons
    > in the Start > "Favorite" menu. So maybee you must change that in
    > Firefox preferences.
    >
    > --
    > /Arne
    >
    > Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    > are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    > quote signatures, thank you.

    Thanks. What I've done is restore defaults in IE. I recreated the desktop
    shortcut per yours. Seems to be all ok - it changed the others in the start
    menu favorites. I wanted to keep IE as default anyway, even though I browse
    with Firefox.

    - just wondering, but way is it so bad to "top post?" - doesn't that save a
    lot of time scrolling down thru struff already read??

    rgds/Bob

    BobW, Apr 10, 2005
  6. BobW

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:

    > "Arne" <> wrote in message
    >> Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:
    >>
    >>> "BobW" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bob again, - seems it is worse than I thought - on the start menu
    >>> "favorits"
    >>> all those have changed to show an Opera Icon - but don't link to
    >>> anything! I
    >>> do not have Opera as default browser.
    >>>
    >>> What a mess..
    >>>

    >> To create the shortcut, to the site. Make the browser window small
    >> enough for you to see a part of your desktop. Now, move the mouse
    >> cursor to the icon in the address bar (just before http://.... whatever).
    >>
    >> The corsor should change to a hand, press the mouse button and drag
    >> the icon to the desktop and release the mouse button. Now you should
    >> have a shortcut to the site. If you have Firefox as your default
    >> browser it should open the site from the shortcut.
    >>
    >> But the default browser may have changed, if you see only Opera icons
    >> in the Start > "Favorite" menu. So maybee you must change that in
    >> Firefox preferences.
    >>

    >> Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    >> are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    >> quote signatures, thank you.

    > Thanks. What I've done is restore defaults in IE. I recreated the desktop
    > shortcut per yours. Seems to be all ok - it changed the others in the start
    > menu favorites. I wanted to keep IE as default anyway, even though I browse
    > with Firefox.

    You like to browse with Firefox, but still like to have IE as your
    default browser? And use OE as mail/news client? Strange, but I guess
    it's not my business :)

    > - just wondering, but way is it so bad to "top post?" - doesn't that save a
    > lot of time scrolling down thru struff already read??

    Little guiding to the issue here, that can answer your question:

    And as I say in my sig, "Quote the part you are replying to, no more
    and no less", makes it easier to catch the discussion and scroll (if
    neccesery) to your reply.

    Oh, as you see I also erased the signatures (mine and your) above. The
    "-- " works as a "automatic cutter" in proper news readers. On the
    page I give the link to, you can a find a link to a "add on" for OE to
    work in the same way.

    Arne, Apr 10, 2005
  7. BobW

    Z Guest

    BobW wrote:
    > Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    > Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the page
    > and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not there.
    >
    > I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut that
    > is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on the
    > existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but that is
    > just not working.
    >
    > There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages in
    > Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    > simple.

    Right click on Desktop > New > Shortcut > (enter URL in Location box) >
    Next > (enter a name in Name box) > Finish

    Is that what you want?

    Z, Apr 10, 2005
  8. BobW

    BobW Guest

    "Z" <> wrote in message news:8pg6e.2577$...
    > BobW wrote:
    >> Help please. I want to put a shortcut on the desktop that will open MSN
    >> Hotmail signin page in Firefox. I thought I could right click on the page
    >> and the menu would show "create shortcut" - but that option is not there.
    >>
    >> I've been messing around with the browsers I have and now the shortcut
    >> that is on the desk top opens with Opera. I've tried right clicking on
    >> the existing desktop shortcut and changing the "Open in" option - but
    >> that is just not working.
    >>
    >> There must be an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for anywebpages in
    >> Firefox, right? This old man needs some help for what is probably too
    >> simple.

    > Right click on Desktop > New > Shortcut > (enter URL in Location box) >
    > Next > (enter a name in Name box) > Finish
    >
    > Is that what you want?

    I'm gonna try that.

    thanks/Bob

    BobW, Apr 11, 2005
  9. BobW

    BobW Guest

    "Arne" <> wrote in message
    > Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:

    SNIP>
    > You like to browse with Firefox, but still like to have IE as your
    > default browser? And use OE as mail/news client? Strange, but I guess
    > it's not my business :)

    Well, when I first try a brower other than IE it was Opera, and sometimes,
    actually often,
    clicking a link on an Opera page would not work, but it would work from IE.
    So I got
    used to it - that is, keeping IE as the default.

    I did not mention I used OE as mail/news, I don't think - is there a way you
    could
    tell???

    Thanks.

    rgds/Bob

    BobW, Apr 11, 2005
  10. BobW

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 03:49:25 GMT, BobW rambled:

    > I did not mention I used OE as mail/news, I don't think - is there a way you
    > could
    > tell???

    You are posting with:

    News article have a body (what you are reading now) and headers.
    Besides the header fields displayed in the article list, most
    newsreaders display some header fields at the same time as the body,
    or the fields can be configured by the user to display the ones wanted
    to see, and to display the full headers it's usually a key press away.

    The headers are somewhat obscured and not as easily displayed in OE.
    IIRC in OE, look for something like Message Source.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Apr 11, 2005
  11. BobW

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:

    > "Arne" <> wrote in message
    >> Once upon a time *BobW* wrote:
    >>

    > SNIP>
    >> You like to browse with Firefox, but still like to have IE as your
    >> default browser? And use OE as mail/news client? Strange, but I guess
    >> it's not my business :)

    > Well, when I first try a brower other than IE it was Opera, and sometimes,
    > actually often,
    > clicking a link on an Opera page would not work, but it would work from IE.
    > So I got
    > used to it - that is, keeping IE as the default.
    >
    > I did not mention I used OE as mail/news, I don't think - is there a way you
    > could
    > tell???

    As "Rom" allready explained, it's the header of your message. But the
    first "signal" about the client, is that the "automatic cutter" dor
    signatures don't work in OE as it does in other clients I know of :)

    BTW, as you see abowe the lines in your post is wrapped in a "strange"
    way. Changing the line width to something in the rang of 70-76
    characters in your settings for composition / sending(?) should take
    care of that, since it's a "standard" line width most people use. I
    have 72 characters, to make "room" for several ">" signs on the left
    of quoted text in the posts I reply to.

    Arne, Apr 11, 2005