Help creating bootable backup Hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff G, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30 GB
    Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am running
    Win XP Pro.

    I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my slave.
    There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software said the
    errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not criticaal, and that
    Windows would probably recreate them once it was restarted.

    So I shut down my computer. I unplugged the power connector from the
    Maxtor and its IDE plug. I moved the jumper on the WD drive to make it
    the master, and unplugged the secondary drive IDE plug from it and
    plugged in the master IDE plug that had been plugged into the Maxtor.
    Then I went to restart the computer.

    I got through POST fine, and the computer detected the WD drive as the
    primary master. The devices attached were all listed, but the bootup
    hung up at the 'Verifying DMI Pool' message. I then got a message I
    don't recall entirely about my DHCP. I recall there was a colon after it
    so it expected me to enter some value. I tried a couple times but could
    get no further.

    I plugged everything back in the way it was and all is fine. This time
    I cloned my master to my slave using Norton Ghost 2003 drive copy.

    What can I do or should I do to get this to work? I want to make sure
    that I can boot to my backup drive before removing it and replacing it
    with my new drive. Its pointless to make what I think is a backup
    without testing it first to verify that it will indeed bootup.

    --------------------------------------

    Also, I was going to try and use Partition Magic 8.0 to partition my new
    120 GB WD HD into a 30 GB and 90 GB segment. The 30 GB segment would be
    used for me to copy my current HD to, and the 90 GB segment for
    everything else. I don't recall a shard of DOS. Should I use Partition
    Magic for this operation, or could someone tell me here how to partition
    the new HD with DOS commands?

    Jeff G, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Jeff G

    Unk Guest

    Guide to Norton Ghost
    http://ghost.radified.com/

    How To Create A Bootable Ghost Rescue CD
    http://digispy.nightspirit.nl/C10/P85/C10P85A1526.htm
    http://radified.com/Ghost/ghost_1.htm

    Unk, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Jeff G

    dadiOH Guest

    Jeff G wrote:
    > For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30
    > GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
    > running Win XP Pro.
    >
    > I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
    > slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
    > said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
    > criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
    > restarted.

    And did you also make the drive bootable?

    All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
    setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
    "ghosting is necessary.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Jeff G wrote:
    >
    >>For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30
    >>GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
    >>running Win XP Pro.
    >>
    >>I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
    >> slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
    >>said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
    >>criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
    >>restarted.

    > And did you also make the drive bootable?
    >
    > All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
    > setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
    > "ghosting is necessary.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
    If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
    cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

    Jeff G, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Jeff G

    dadiOH Guest

    Jeff G wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> Jeff G wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a
    >>> 30 GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
    >>> running Win XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
    >>> slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
    >>> said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
    >>> criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
    >>> restarted.

    >> And did you also make the drive bootable?
    >>
    >> All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
    >> setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
    >> "ghosting is necessary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> dadiOH
    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    >>

    > I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the
    > argument. If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged
    > into the IDE cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

    There is nothing in your post to indicate they are identical. Copying
    old > new doesn't make new bootable. Which is why I asked if you had
    chosen to make the new one bootable.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Jeff G

    Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:37:31 GMT, Jeff G <> wrote:

    |> > And did you also make the drive bootable?
    |> >
    |> > All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
    |> > setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
    |> > "ghosting is necessary.

    |> I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
    |> If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
    |> cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

    You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
    track of your drive).

    --

    , Jan 2, 2005
  7. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    wrote:

    > |> I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
    > |> If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
    > |> cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?
    >
    > You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
    > track of your drive).

    Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
    started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
    somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
    ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find the
    information I'm looking for.

    Thank you.

    Jeff G, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Jeff G

    dadiOH Guest

    Jeff G wrote:
    > wrote:

    >> You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
    >> track of your drive).
    >>

    > Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
    > started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
    > somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
    > ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find
    > the information I'm looking for.

    Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a drive
    active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of numerous
    partition managers.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Jeff G wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
    >>>track of your drive).
    >>>

    >>Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
    >>started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
    >>somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
    >>ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find
    >>the information I'm looking for.

    > Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a drive
    > active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of numerous
    > partition managers.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
    >

    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    If I select the WD Data Lifeguard choice "Add the Drive as the new boot
    device", will I be unable to boot to my master drive? My goal is to
    make my slave drive a bootable drive, then remove it and put it safely
    into storage for the future.

    Jeff G, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Jeff G

    dadiOH Guest

    Jeff G wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> Jeff G wrote:

    >>> Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
    >>> started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice
    >>> if somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my
    >>> spending ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another
    >>> until I find the information I'm looking for.

    >> Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a
    >> drive active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of
    >> numerous partition managers.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
    >>

    > If I select the WD Data Lifeguard choice "Add the Drive as the new
    > boot device", will I be unable to boot to my master drive?

    Well, I certainly wouldn't think so. I don't use the program but its
    help file says...

    "When copying from partition to partition, if the destination partition
    is a primary partition, Drive-To-Drive copy will make the partition
    bootable. This allows you to migrate your operating system to a new
    drive even if the drive was not partitioned using Data Lifeguard."

    To do what you are suggesting the program would have to wipe the MBR on
    the old drive. No reason to do so. I suggest a perusal of the manual -
    including glossary - would be productive.
    _____________________

    > My goal
    > is to make my slave drive a bootable drive, then remove it and put it
    > safely into storage for the future.

    The future being when? If next week - or even next month maybe - then
    fine. If six months hence then it isn't going to do you much good
    unless you never add programs, never change system stuff, etc.unless you
    also log everything that you do. Better IMO to leave it in the box and
    back C: up to it periodically.

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...