    Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

    Thanks and Regards
    James

    James, Jun 13, 2005

  2. James wrote:

    > Hi,
    > All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
    > constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
    > I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
    > configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
    > services.
    > If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    > the Internet.
    > Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
    > Virus or just normal ??
    > Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.
    >

    > Thanks and Regards
    > James

    Do you have "illegal" music on your pc? Do you use Windows Media Player?
    Could be Microsoft "spyware"....

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jun 13, 2005

  3. James

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<>,
    James <> wrote:

    >If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    >the Internet.

    I'd suspect that something inserted itself as a proxy. Check
    your proxy settings.

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
    Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

    Arthur T., Jun 14, 2005
  4. James

    Max Burke Guest

    James scribbled:

    > Hi,
    > All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
    > constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
    > I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
    > configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
    > services.

    FYI:

    What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?
    Process name: Host Process for Services

    Product: Windows

    Company: Microsoft

    File: svchost.exe

    Security Rating:
    "Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part
    of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit
    DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion
    of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In
    normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time.
    Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that
    separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is
    started. This allows for better control and debugging. More info More info

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314056

    Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how many
    of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to the
    internet.

    However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an svchost.exe
    file...

    Google is your friend.

    Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
    services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in your
    firewall.

    > If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    > the Internet.

    Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect to
    the internet.

    > Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
    > Virus or just normal ??
    > Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

    As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
    How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
    Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)

    Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
    such website exists; Same when running trace route.

    Windows Socket Error:
    The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA: Valid
    name, no data record of requested type)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jun 14, 2005
  5. James

    James Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:56:57 -0700, "Michael J. Pelletier"
    <> wrote:

    >James wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
    >> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
    >> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
    >> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
    >> services.
    >> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    >> the Internet.
    >> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
    >> Virus or just normal ??
    >> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.
    >>

    >> Thanks and Regards
    >> James

    >Do you have "illegal" music on your pc? Do you use Windows Media Player?
    >Could be Microsoft "spyware"....
    >
    >Michael

    No Illegal Music and I use WMP 9

    URL should read http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/<string
    of numbers and letters>/Install_MSN_Messenger.exe.

    I do not have MSN Messenger on my machine only Windows Messenger
    Thanks and Regards
    James

    James, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Max Burke wrote:

    > James scribbled:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
    >> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
    >> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
    >> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
    >> services.

    > FYI:
    >
    > What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?

    > Process name: Host Process for Services
    >
    > Product: Windows
    >
    > Company: Microsoft
    >
    > File: svchost.exe
    >
    > Security Rating:
    > "Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral
    > part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages
    > 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the
    > services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it
    > needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run
    > at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of
    > services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where
    > Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging. More
    > info More info
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314056
    >
    > Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how
    > many of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to
    > the internet.
    >
    > However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an
    > svchost.exe file...
    >
    > Google is your friend.
    >
    > Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
    > services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in
    > your firewall.
    >
    >> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    >> the Internet.

    > Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect
    > to the internet.
    >
    >> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
    >> Virus or just normal ??
    >> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

    > As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
    > How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
    > Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)
    >
    > Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
    > such website exists; Same when running trace route.
    >
    > Windows Socket Error:
    > The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA:
    > Valid name, no data record of requested type)

    I believe this is the binary that handles sockets (network connections) for
    you in Windows...

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Michael J. Pelletier wrote:

    > Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> James scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> All the time I am connected to the Internet my computer is
    >>> constantly giving information to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com
    >>> I have cleared my firewall of all programs but as soon as I connect it
    >>> configures something called Microsoft Generic host process for win32
    >>> services.

    >> FYI:
    >>
    >> What is svchost.exe? Is svchost.exe spyware or a virus?

    >> Process name: Host Process for Services
    >>
    >> Product: Windows
    >>
    >> Company: Microsoft
    >>
    >> File: svchost.exe
    >>
    >> Security Rating:
    >> "Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral
    >> part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It
    >> manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks
    >> the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that
    >> it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe
    >> run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of
    >> services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where
    >> Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.
    >> More info More info
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314056
    >>
    >> Press CNTRL ALT DEL (together) to start task manager and check out how
    >> many of the above processes are running even when you're not connected to
    >> the internet.
    >>
    >> However Several worms and viruse's hide/rename themselves as an
    >> svchost.exe file...
    >>
    >> Google is your friend.
    >>
    >> Several firewalls (zone alarm for one) will complain about the above
    >> services; You need to allow the services to connect to the internet in
    >> your firewall.
    >>
    >>> If I block this the above problem stops but I cannot connect at all to
    >>> the Internet.

    >> Because you're blocking the above services that are used by XP to connect
    >> to the internet.
    >>
    >>> Can anyone explain what any of the above does. Is it Spyware or a
    >>> Virus or just normal ??
    >>> Using Win XP Home NIS 2004.

    >> As to http://msgr.dlservice.midrosoft.com that is a non existent website;
    >> How do you know that your computer is [constantly] giving info to any
    >> Microsoft website? (let alone the one you list)
    >>
    >> Pinging the above website (http://msgr.dlservice.microsoft.com) says no
    >> such website exists; Same when running trace route.
    >>
    >> Windows Socket Error:
    >> The function 'WSAAsyncGetHostByName' returned error 11004 (WSANO_DATA:
    >> Valid name, no data record of requested type)
    >>

    > I believe this is the binary that handles sockets (network connections)
    > for you in Windows...
    >
    > Michael

    P.S. this is also the binary that manyviruses like to take over...

    -Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jun 14, 2005