    that are running on it.
    Looking for any help or suggestions

    thanks
    newrvguy, Oct 16, 2005

  2. newrvguy

    The One Guest

    Re: Computer keeps shutting off

    "newrvguy" <> wrote in message
    news:Crk4f.210902$tl2.40520@pd7tw3no...
    > I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to

    shut
    > down (restart) on it's own
    > right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
    > restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
    > software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
    > that are running on it.
    > Looking for any help or suggestions
    >
    > thanks

    It wouldnt be a Windows problem, more likely be a memory problem. When I
    encounter this problem I take out the memory modules and reseat them,
    changing the slots also. If it continues then a faulty chip on the memory is
    most likely.

    Are you getting an serious error message after reboot and what the series of
    numbers given?
    The One, Oct 16, 2005

  3. newrvguy

    JANA Guest

    Re: Computer keeps shutting off

    This is most likely a memory failure, or a failure on the mother board.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Oct 16, 2005
  4. newrvguy

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:13:22 +0000, newrvguy wrote:

    > I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to
    > shut down (restart) on it's own
    > right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
    > restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
    > software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
    > that are running on it.
    > Looking for any help or suggestions
    >
    > thanks

    Power supply going bad, CPU needs to have the heatsink reinstalled with
    some thermal paste, a cooling fan running too slowly from being dirty,
    clogged up heatsink fins, a memory chip failing, a PCI or AGP graphics
    card overheating or in need of reseating in it's slot?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 16, 2005
  5. newrvguy

    derek / nul Guest

    Re: Computer keeps shutting off

    You should check the temperature as well.

    derek / nul, Oct 16, 2005