    times while trying to do the restore so I am guessing the problem must
    be hardware related.

    This problem is driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

    rxkiller(antispam), Dec 28, 2003

  2. rxkiller(antispam)

    philo Guest

    "rxkiller(antispam)" <"rxkiller(antispam)"@shaw.ca.junksux> wrote in message
    news:h4FHb.853834$6C4.709421@pd7tw1no...
    > I am working on a compaq 5000 with an AMD K6-II processor in it and I
    > cannot figure out why it constantly freezes up on me. I have completely
    > formatted and restored the OS (Win ME) and done a BIOS (ROMpaq) update.
    > I have run a test on all of the hardware and it checks out OK using
    > the Compaq diagnostics, and Burn In Test Pro. Sometimes the computer
    > will run for hours (8) without freeezing but sometimes only minutes.
    > When the computer freezes NOTHING will get it going again aside from
    > re-boot (power off or reset). The computer even froze on me a couple of
    > times while trying to do the restore so I am guessing the problem must
    > be hardware related.
    >
    > This problem is driving me crazy and any help would be greatly

    appreciated.

    Check all fans...especially the one on the CPU...
    it could be a cooling fan that is only working intermittently

    philo, Dec 28, 2003

  3. rxkiller(antispam)

    Billy Guest

    Suspect needed chipset/mb drivers.

    Billy, Dec 28, 2003
  4. rxkiller(antispam)

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove *all* unnecessary hardware, and check all connections
    of the remaining hardware. Change RAM modules, if possible.
    Run the "bare bones" system for a couple of days. If it doesn't
    freeze during that time, add one piece of hardware back into
    the system at a time, until the problem re-occurs, when you
    will have found the culprit (hopefully). Also, be sure to clean
    out the inside of the box, especially around the fans. Use a
    can of compressed air to blow out all of the dust. Check that
    the fans are operating correctly, also.

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:14:37 GMT, in
    <h4FHb.853834$6C4.709421@pd7tw1no>
    rxkiller(antispam) scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 28, 2003
  5. rxkiller(antispam)

    ICee Guest

    rxkiller(antispam)" <"rxkiller(antispam) wrote:
    > I am working on a compaq 5000 with an AMD K6-II processor in it and I
    > cannot figure out why it constantly freezes up on me. I have
    > completely formatted and restored the OS (Win ME) and done a BIOS
    > (ROMpaq) update. I have run a test on all of the hardware and it
    > checks out OK using
    > the Compaq diagnostics, and Burn In Test Pro. Sometimes the computer
    > will run for hours (8) without freeezing but sometimes only minutes.
    > When the computer freezes NOTHING will get it going again aside from
    > re-boot (power off or reset). The computer even froze on me a couple
    > of times while trying to do the restore so I am guessing the problem
    > must
    > be hardware related.
    >
    > This problem is driving me crazy and any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    As well as the other suggestions, check the memory using memtest86.
    This will run in DOS, so the OS will not interfere:
    www.memtest86.com

    ICee, Dec 28, 2003