Help!! Computer freezes on startup and windows xp will not start!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zachlr@comcast.net, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I was on my computer a while ago and I was in adobe GoLive and I kept
    getting a message that said "program does not have enough virtual
    memory" or ssomething close to that. I tried ending some
    processes(sp) and hitting retry, but the problem persisted. So I
    restarted my computer by hitting the on/off button. Then it came up
    to the motherboard screen or whatever where it usally does a memory
    test or something and within a few seconds widows starts up. It says
    to press del for setup, F8 for boot menu, and esc to stop. When I try
    to hit any of these buttons it does not do anything and does not do
    the memory test or whtever it does. It looks like this:
    Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG, An energy star ally
    Copyright (c) 1984-2003, Pheonix technologies,LTD

    W7104VMS V3.4 022206 14:32:17

    Main processor: Intel(r) Pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.40GHz(133x18.0)

    [here is where it usally does the memory tests and lists the drives]

    Press DEL to enter setup, F8 to enter boot menu,ESC
    [then some random-looking numbers and letters]

    <END of screen>

    So...yeah, thats pretty much it. I can give other info on parts but I
    dont know what you need so i dont feel like typing unneeded stuff for
    hours.
    , Mar 17, 2007

  2. Mr. Arnold Guest

    wrote:

    > So...yeah, thats pretty much it. I can give other info on parts but I
    > dont know what you need so i dont feel like typing unneeded stuff for
    > hours.

    What is virtual memory that you tell the O/S to use more disk space on
    the hard drive so that it doesn't have a virtual memory problem?

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Virtual+Memory&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title>
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Sonic Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was on my computer a while ago and I was in adobe GoLive and I kept
    > getting a message that said "program does not have enough virtual
    > memory" or ssomething close to that.

    SNIP

    "something close to that" is not close enough.
    Memory error messages are on-board Windows messages,
    so they are in the Knowledge base.
    Go here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2kk5pg

    In the "For" line, type the *EXACT* error message you receive,
    include all and code of error message.
    Sonic, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Mar 17, 7:24 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So...yeah, thats pretty much it. I can give other info on parts but I
    > > dont know what you need so i dont feel like typing unneeded stuff for
    > > hours.

    > What is virtual memory that you tell the O/S to use more disk space on
    > the hard drive so that it doesn't have a virtual memory problem?
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Virtual+Memory&sa...>

    I am not sure that i understand the question. I have a 1GB stick of
    ram and a 512mb stick.
    , Mar 18, 2007
  5. Mr. Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mar 17, 7:24 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So...yeah, thats pretty much it. I can give other info on parts but I
    >>>dont know what you need so i dont feel like typing unneeded stuff for
    >>>hours.

    >>What is virtual memory that you tell the O/S to use more disk space on
    >>the hard drive so that it doesn't have a virtual memory problem?
    >>
    >><http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Virtual+Memory&sa...>

    > I am not sure that i understand the question. I have a 1GB stick of
    > ram and a 512mb stick.

    I suggest you read the first link above or use Google to find more links
    on what Virtual Memory is and how it used.

    The you need to read the second link and put 2 and 2 together.

    I'll assume you're using XP. If you're not using XP, then find an
    article using Google for the O/S being used.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

    Take note on the O/S Controlled Virtual Page file setting for XP, let
    the O/S control it.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 18, 2007