    Can anyone clarify the maximum amount of RAM that Win98 can use?
    I think it's 512MB, I've read 768MB , my bro says 258MB...

    Only hard evidence need reply... lol

    natural_4u, Sep 12, 2003

  2. On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:35:12 GMT, "natural_4u" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone clarify the maximum amount of RAM that Win98 can use?
    >I think it's 512MB, I've read 768MB , my bro says 258MB...
    >
    >Only hard evidence need reply... lol

    What does the MS knowledge base say?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:35:12 GMT, "natural_4u" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone clarify the maximum amount of RAM that Win98 can use?
    >>I think it's 512MB, I've read 768MB , my bro says 258MB...
    >>
    >>Only hard evidence need reply... lol
    >>

    > What does the MS knowledge base say?

    Found an article Q253912 that comes close to answering the question but
    doesn't quite nail it down definitively.

    The article deals with reported memory problems on systems with more
    than 512MB of RAM. One of the workarounds is to reduce memory in the
    system to 512MB or less.

    John
    --
    John Dearing - A+, Network+
    Phila Area Computer Society http://www.pacsnet.org

    John P. Dearing, Sep 13, 2003
  4. natural_4u

    natural_4u Guest

    They say 1.5GB is the max RAM for Win 98, Win 98SE, and Win ME.
    Any more would cause the system to reboot continuously. I didn't know
    that...
    So I guess my 512 MB of RAM is not a waste.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943

    natural_4u, Sep 14, 2003
  5. natural_4u

    natural_4u Guest

    Re: Correction for last post

    Sorry... they say 1GB. More than 1 GB can lead to potential system
    instability .

    natural_4u, Sep 14, 2003
  6. On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:49:41 GMT, "natural_4u" <> wrote:

    >They say 1.5GB is the max RAM for Win 98, Win 98SE, and Win ME.
    >Any more would cause the system to reboot continuously. I didn't know
    >that...
    >So I guess my 512 MB of RAM is not a waste.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943

    It is if you never use all of it.

    The biggest issues with RAM are usually the motherboard's cacheing
    capability and whether you will actually ever come close to maxing out
    the RAM. Once the RAM gets to the point where the swap file in use is
    minimized, you don't need any more, as I recall.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 14, 2003
  7. natural_4u

    BaldEagle Guest

    I have read that there is a limitation in Win98 to the number of
    addresses that it can address. I forget just what the amount of ram
    it can address is but I think it is around 140 (odd number I know). I
    think that any more that 256 in Win98 is wasted.

    BaldEagle, Sep 15, 2003
  8. natural_4u

    Chris L Guest

    384 mb - W98
    512 mb - ME

    --
    Chris L

    This message has been scanned with
    Norton Anti-Virus and certified virus free.

    Chris L, Sep 15, 2003
  9. natural_4u

    Chris L Guest

    98 chokes after 384 mb, doesn't know what to do with the extra high mem, ME
    does the same after 512. Well known fact in the gaming world.

    Chris L, Sep 15, 2003
  10. There is no maximum that I'm aware of, BUT if you have more than 512
    megs, you need to modify one of the configuration files (manually add a
    line) or there will be problems due to a bug in the swap file code.
    Details are on the Microsoft web site in the knowledgebase.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003
  11. With all due respect, that's BS.

    Win98 fully supports 512 megs with no patches or modifications.

    And more with a simple patch.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003