Help: Cisco 1801

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Stephan Schoenharting, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Hello,
    I'm quite a newbe on cisco routers and need some help. Our 1801 hung during
    a setup and now neither the webinterface or any port is available. No ping,
    no nothing. But using the console I get access.

    As far as I understood I can do a factory reset using the config-register:
    !
    configure terminal
    config-register 0x2102
    end
    write erase
    reload (without saving)
    !

    or:
    !
    config-register 0x2142
    reload (without saving)
    !

    What are the differences? Which one would you recommend?

    As far as I understood before getting access to the webinterface again I
    have to do a basic setup using the IOS command-line interface, correct?

    There I have to set up:
    - hostname:
    - configure enabel and enable secret
    - configuring a fastethernet interface
    - set up a user with password using privelege level 15
    - set up http access?

    Would that be it, or is there anything I forgot or misunderstood?

    Kind regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Schoenharting, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Hi Stephan,

    You may wish to investigate:

    Reset a Cisco Router to Factory Default Settings

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_tech_note09186a00802017a1.shtml

    Troubleshooting Router Hangs

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a0080106fd7.shtml

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Hi Brad,
    thank you for your quick response. This is where I got the information from.
    But I'm not sure, if the factory reset realy configures the router so that
    I can access it from the default ip address (10.10.10.1) vie the web
    interface, or if I have to do the configuration myself.

    Regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Schoenharting, Aug 31, 2006
  4. When you reset the router, you will most likely be left with a router
    like it was when it came out of the box. This means you will need to do
    some initial configuration through the console.

    Nathan Harmon, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Hi Nathan,
    yes this is what I thought, but when it came out of the box it was
    preconfigured to use the web interface on 10.10.10.1
    I guess I have to try it tomorrow.

    But if I have to configure it by myself using the console, are the steps I
    mentioned correct, or do I miss something?

    Regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Schoenharting, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Well, normally you wouldn't mess with the config-register unless you
    had a problem booting the operating system or forgot the password. :)

    You can do:

    !
    erase startup-config
    reload
    !

    Just tell it 'no' when it asks if you want to save the config before
    reloading. That will do a factory reload.

    You will probably need to set the IP address via the console after it
    comes back up.

    Nathan Harmon, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Hi Nathan,
    thank you for your help. The problem was, that during saving a new config
    via web-interface the router crashed. After trying to reboot, no interface
    did work nor the console. After the next reboot it took ages for the router
    to come up, but finally the console did work.
    As I said, I'm a newbe and do not know all the console commands needed for a
    proper setup. Therefore I would prefer trying the web-interface again. I
    thought a factory reset might help, as out of the box the web-interface did
    work. Tomorrow I will know.

    Regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Schoenharting, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Erasing the startup-config will basically do a factory reset.

    Nathan Harmon, Aug 31, 2006
  9. Hi Nathan,
    thank you for your help. This was it, all I had to do, was enable one
    interface, assign the ip address and grant http access.

    Now all is up and running.
    Regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Schoenharting, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Stephan Schoenharting

    BrettPower

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I realize this thread is old, however, I hope the original poster is still out there somewhere!

    I have the same router and the same problem. I have done everything successfully except for "granting HTTP access"? I have googled this with absolutley no success. How did you do it?

    BrettPower, Nov 9, 2007