    I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.

    Thanks

    Jasp
    Jasper, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Jasper

    Eric Miller Guest

    "Jasper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like to buy my elderly parents a digital camera and would appreciate
    > your recommendations.
    >
    > They need something that is very simple to use (point and shoot) but most
    > importantly something that is very easy to transfer the photo's from the
    > camera to the pc. (They really struggle using a pc!) They still have good
    > finger dexterity so small buttons are not a major problem.
    >
    > I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jasp

    Why not take the PC out of the loop if that is where the trouble lies? Just
    get them a good photo printer that will print directly from their memory
    card or directly from a "docked" camera.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Jasper

    SleeperMan Guest

    Jasper wrote:
    > I'd like to buy my elderly parents a digital camera and would
    > appreciate your recommendations.
    >
    > They need something that is very simple to use (point and shoot) but
    > most importantly something that is very easy to transfer the photo's
    > from the camera to the pc. (They really struggle using a pc!) They
    > still have good finger dexterity so small buttons are not a major
    > problem.
    > I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jasp

    I would say most of today's cameras would do, like for example some cheap
    Olympus cameras, they usualy have very few manual settings and make pretty
    good pictures. But, if PC is a problem, there's always a posibility to take
    it out of the picture, they can shoot and take the camera to a photo lab,
    they will transfer all photos to a CDR and make pictures - if you select lab
    some of them would also first create thumbs, then they can decide which ones
    to make. But, Oly's are pretty simple to transfer - just transferring files
    from removable device For Canon, XP has a wizard who will transfer images
    automatically. I held one HP camera and from i saw quickly it's a bit more
    tricky, so avoid it...
    Of course, it is possbile to get a photo printer, as Eric suggested, but we
    all know that pritned photos are expensive and not too long lasting...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Jasper

    Jasper Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. They would like to be able to transfer the
    pics to the pc, but that is a good idea to get the lab to put them on a cd,
    especially if that means they could watch a slideshow on their tv. I put
    some photo's on their pc from my camera at Christmas and set the xp
    slideshow going and they were enthralled for hours. Every so often I'd see
    my dad smiling and shaking his head in disbelief at how wonderful this
    modern technology was!

    Jasp

    Jasper, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Jasper

    RobG Guest

    "Jasper" <> wrote
    > I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.
    > Thanks
    > Jasp

    Have a look at Kodak's range of Easyshare cameras. The C310 is a
    fixed focus 4mp camera with 5x digi zoom (yes, I know it's not real zoom).
    You can conect it via a dock or Pictbridge connection, shouldn't be too
    expensive - I got 2 here for under AUD$400 the pair, with extra memory
    cards, cases, and a battery charger. (Christmas presents for my nieces...)
    Try this link to see what's around in the Mother Country. Jessops are
    doing it for about 80 quid. You may be able to go further up the range if
    you look around.

    http://www20.shopgenie.co.uk/

    HTH
    RobG
    RobG, Dec 27, 2005
  6. Jasper

    SleeperMan Guest

    Jasper wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestions guys. They would like to be able to
    > transfer the pics to the pc, but that is a good idea to get the lab
    > to put them on a cd, especially if that means they could watch a
    > slideshow on their tv. I put some photo's on their pc from my camera
    > at Christmas and set the xp slideshow going and they were enthralled
    > for hours. Every so often I'd see my dad smiling and shaking his head
    > in disbelief at how wonderful this modern technology was!
    >
    > Jasp

    I think that most modern DVD players will show jpg files just fine, true.
    That is a solution.

    SleeperMan, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Jasper

    Rina Guest

    What about an Epson Expressmate? http://tinyurl.com/bzc4g

    They accept media from most cameras, prints are advertised to be 24¢ each...
    (USA)
    There seems to be an abundance of these printers... they're giving them
    away! (with some cameras)

    The cost of prints has already come down, I saw an ad for the print package
    for about $9 (USA)...that brings the prints down to 9¢

    Rina, Dec 27, 2005
  8. Jasper

    SleeperMan Guest

    RobG wrote:
    > "Jasper" <> wrote
    >> I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.
    >> Thanks
    >> Jasp

    > Have a look at Kodak's range of Easyshare cameras. The C310 is a
    > fixed focus 4mp camera with 5x digi zoom (yes, I know it's not real
    > zoom). You can conect it via a dock or Pictbridge connection,
    > shouldn't be too expensive - I got 2 here for under AUD$400 the pair,
    > with extra memory cards, cases, and a battery charger. (Christmas
    > presents for my nieces...) Try this link to see what's around in
    > the Mother Country. Jessops are doing it for about 80 quid. You may
    > be able to go further up the range if you look around.
    >
    > http://www20.shopgenie.co.uk/
    >
    > HTH
    > RobG

    Hm...no zoom....
    it's just ...something missing. And digital zoom is unusable for real life.
    Usable maybe only if you shoot and plan to send this pic over GSM phone as
    MMS message...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Dec 27, 2005
  9. Jasper

    SleeperMan Guest

    Rina wrote:
    > What about an Epson Expressmate? http://tinyurl.com/bzc4g
    >
    > They accept media from most cameras, prints are advertised to be 24¢
    > each... (USA)
    > There seems to be an abundance of these printers... they're giving
    > them away! (with some cameras)
    >
    > The cost of prints has already come down, I saw an ad for the print
    > package for about $9 (USA)...that brings the prints down to 9¢
    >

    >> Of course, it is possbile to get a photo printer, as Eric suggested,
    >> but we all know that pritned photos are expensive and not too long
    >> lasting...

    sure, (some) epson printers use pigmented color ink, but i would give my
    finger that this is not one of them. And as so, it also makes not long
    lasting photos. Note that all those claims about 100 years etc....lay under
    ideal conditions, which NEVER happen in real life. And not at last, printing
    with ANY printer is expensive.

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Dec 27, 2005
  10. Jasper

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jasper wrote:
    > I'd like to buy my elderly parents a digital camera and would appreciate
    > your recommendations.
    >
    > They need something that is very simple to use (point and shoot) but most
    > importantly something that is very easy to transfer the photo's from the
    > camera to the pc. (They really struggle using a pc!) They still have good
    > finger dexterity so small buttons are not a major problem.
    >
    > I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jasp

    Any of the Kodak models with a 'dock' will make the job very simple.
    Other manufacturers also have 'dock' models, but most are more expensive
    than your target price.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 28, 2005
  11. Jasper

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:27:25 +0100, SleeperMan wrote:

    >> Have a look at Kodak's range of Easyshare cameras. The C310 is a
    >> fixed focus 4mp camera with 5x digi zoom (yes, I know it's not real
    >> zoom).

    > Hm...no zoom....
    > it's just ...something missing.

    With fixed focus, it may miss a bit more, but it might gain a good
    deal in speed. Most P&S cameras have a delay between the time the
    shutter is pressed and when the picture is actually taken. The
    C310 might be one of a small number of exceptions that are as quick
    as DSLRs, which might make it worth more than its weight in gold to
    your parents, especially if they intend to take pictures of
    unpredictably swift grandkids or pets. Many people have a hard time
    getting used to shutter lag.
    ASAAR, Dec 28, 2005
  12. Jasper

    SleeperMan Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:27:25 +0100, SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >>> Have a look at Kodak's range of Easyshare cameras. The C310 is a
    >>> fixed focus 4mp camera with 5x digi zoom (yes, I know it's not real
    >>> zoom).

    >> Hm...no zoom....
    >> it's just ...something missing.

    > With fixed focus, it may miss a bit more, but it might gain a good
    > deal in speed. Most P&S cameras have a delay between the time the
    > shutter is pressed and when the picture is actually taken. The
    > C310 might be one of a small number of exceptions that are as quick
    > as DSLRs, which might make it worth more than its weight in gold to
    > your parents, especially if they intend to take pictures of
    > unpredictably swift grandkids or pets. Many people have a hard time
    > getting used to shutter lag.

    true. You have the point here. I guess you can't have all...either one or
    another...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
    SleeperMan, Dec 28, 2005
  13. Jasper

    peter Guest

    "Jasper" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to buy my elderly parents a digital camera and would appreciate
    > your recommendations.
    >
    > They need something that is very simple to use (point and shoot) but most
    > importantly something that is very easy to transfer the photo's from the
    > camera to the pc. (They really struggle using a pc!) They still have good
    > finger dexterity so small buttons are not a major problem.
    >
    > I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.

    Does the story ends when the photos are transferred to the PC? What if they
    want to print, email them, share them, edit them...?

    You either have to teach them some PC skills, or you become their digital
    camera UI :) Or perhaps film cameras are most suitable.

    If you merely get them a photo printer that bypasses the PC, that implies
    they make prints and then erase the original jpg files?! That would be
    terrible.
    peter, Dec 28, 2005
  14. Jasper

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:27:25 +0100, SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >>> Have a look at Kodak's range of Easyshare cameras. The C310 is a
    >>> fixed focus 4mp camera with 5x digi zoom (yes, I know it's not real
    >>> zoom).

    >> Hm...no zoom....
    >> it's just ...something missing.

    > With fixed focus, it may miss a bit more, but it might gain a good
    > deal in speed. Most P&S cameras have a delay between the time the
    > shutter is pressed and when the picture is actually taken. The
    > C310 might be one of a small number of exceptions that are as quick
    > as DSLRs, which might make it worth more than its weight in gold to
    > your parents, especially if they intend to take pictures of
    > unpredictably swift grandkids or pets. Many people have a hard time
    > getting used to shutter lag.

    Even without shutter lag, catching children can be a real challenge.
    They move so fast, and their expressions change from second to second.
    "Mercurial" is the word, I believe.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2005
  15. Jasper

    Ron Hunter Guest

    peter wrote:
    > "Jasper" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to buy my elderly parents a digital camera and would appreciate
    >> your recommendations.
    >>
    >> They need something that is very simple to use (point and shoot) but most
    >> importantly something that is very easy to transfer the photo's from the
    >> camera to the pc. (They really struggle using a pc!) They still have good
    >> finger dexterity so small buttons are not a major problem.
    >>
    >> I'd like to spend only around £100 - £150.

    > Does the story ends when the photos are transferred to the PC? What if they
    > want to print, email them, share them, edit them...?
    >
    > You either have to teach them some PC skills, or you become their digital
    > camera UI :) Or perhaps film cameras are most suitable.
    >
    > If you merely get them a photo printer that bypasses the PC, that implies
    > they make prints and then erase the original jpg files?! That would be
    > terrible.

    Why? For many people, that is the way is has always been with film.
    Take the pictures, get the prints, toss the negatives.. I can count on
    the fingers of one hand the number of times I have had prints made from
    old negatives in the past 50 years.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2005
  16. Jasper

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:43:46 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Even without shutter lag, catching children can be a real challenge.
    > They move so fast, and their expressions change from second to second.
    > "Mercurial" is the word, I believe.

    Exactly. But it's not exclusive to children. This Christmas I
    found that expressions of older relatives often changed quicker than
    I could cope with, despite near zero shutter lag (waiting with
    prefocused camera). Sometimes I got what I was trying to get,
    sometimes I just missed it, and sometimes the expression changed but
    was still memorable.

    Aside: It was really nice being able to take a large number of
    pictures over two days and still not need to change the camera's AA
    batteries. My previous camera used a proprietary NiMH pack and I
    usually had to feed it recharged batteries 2 or 3 times daily.
    ASAAR, Dec 29, 2005
  17. Jasper

    ElderGadget

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    The Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP

    Jasp,

    When it comes to a straightforward, elder-friendly point and shoot digital camera that will allow you to upload pictures onto a PC with no problem, I would go for the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP. The camera is equipped with "Blog Mode," which automatically resizes your photos for you and allows you to upload them (no hassle) for e-mail or a personal blog. And at a $160.00, this camera is still within your basic price range.

    ElderGadget.com just wrote a post on the Top Five Digital Cameras for the Elderly -- check it out. The Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP cracked the list, so it's a good bet.

    Good luck with your camera shopping.

    -mb from ElderGadget.com
    ElderGadget, Jul 28, 2009