    Thanks,
    colin

    , Jul 15, 2005

  2. Aphelion Guest

    > I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

    DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV. DVDs
    are currently produced for a resolution called 480p. Admittedly there isn't
    much difference between normal TV resolution and 480p, but there *is* a
    difference. If you're buying a TV that big, may as well go HD.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    >> I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

    > DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
    > DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

    No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
    also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
    definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
    progressive scan format.

    High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Goro Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > >> I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

    > > DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
    > > DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

    > No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
    > also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
    > definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
    > progressive scan format.
    >
    > High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

    Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
    Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
    point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
    for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
    the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
    would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
    image quality at 27".

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 16, 2005
  5. kaboom Guest

    On 15 Jul 2005 20:05:55 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
    >> > DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

    >> No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
    >> also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
    >> definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
    >> progressive scan format.
    >>
    >> High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

    >Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
    >Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
    >point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
    >for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
    >the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
    >would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
    >image quality at 27".

    **I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
    about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
    oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
    your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
    that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
    manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
    and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

    My elderly Samsung still has a great picture and is perfect for the
    size of the room. But I wouldn't at all mind having an upgraded
    picture in a 27" or, in my case, I might go a bit larger. I'd put out
    the cash for sure. I do have a bit of room to play with.

    I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
    repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
    was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
    and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
    choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
    pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
    just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
    that point.

    I've started doing a little bit of research but until the set sizes
    come down a bit, I think I'll remain in a holding pattern. As
    confusing as the amount of options TV buyers have these days, I think
    it's pretty damn cool how far along we've come in TV technology.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Goro Guest

    kaboom wrote:
    > On 15 Jul 2005 20:05:55 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > >> "Aphelion" <> wrote in message

    > >> No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
    > >> also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
    > >> definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
    > >> progressive scan format.
    > >>
    > >> High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

    > >Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
    > >Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
    > >point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
    > >for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
    > >the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
    > >would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
    > >image quality at 27".

    > **I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
    > about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
    > oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
    > your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
    > that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
    > manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
    > and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

    well, actually i guess i phrased my question a bit oddly. I meant I
    wonder if you'd spend an extra (say) $500 for a 1080p 27" tv vs a 720p
    27" tv.

    > My elderly Samsung still has a great picture and is perfect for the
    > size of the room. But I wouldn't at all mind having an upgraded
    > picture in a 27" or, in my case, I might go a bit larger. I'd put out
    > the cash for sure. I do have a bit of room to play with.
    >
    > I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
    > repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
    > was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
    > and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
    > choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
    > pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
    > just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
    > that point.

    Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
    still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
    DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
    DLP...

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Doonie Guest

    On 15 Jul 2005 15:47:35 -0700, colin wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm shopping for a new 27" tv, and am a bit confused. Do I need to care
    >about advertised lines of resolution of a tv for watching dvds? Will it
    >make a difference? Aside from how it looks in the store (often lousy,
    >with cables split a million times) is there anything else to look for?
    >
    >I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

    Make sure you get one with 16:9 mode.

    Doonie, Jul 17, 2005
  8. kaboom Guest

    On 16 Jul 2005 19:02:02 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >kaboom wrote:

    >> **I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
    >> about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
    >> oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
    >> your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
    >> that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
    >> manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
    >> and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

    >well, actually i guess i phrased my question a bit oddly. I meant I
    >wonder if you'd spend an extra (say) $500 for a 1080p 27" tv vs a 720p
    >27" tv.

    **Ahh, okay. At this point, I'd have to be in stores, comparing and
    contrasting to see just what I would pay.

    >> I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
    >> repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
    >> was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
    >> and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
    >> choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
    >> pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
    >> just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
    >> that point.

    >Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
    >still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
    >DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
    >DLP...

    **You know, I told him that I preferred a CRT to what I've seen. He
    was adamant in that it was a dead technology (or at least one foot in
    the grave and the other on a banana peel). We started arguing about
    the merits of different types of tech. He got into it on such a
    technological level that I couldn't keep up. Well, anyway, if I had to
    choose between a 50" DLP or a 32" CRT, I'd jump on the DLP, too :)

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Goro Guest

    kaboom wrote:
    *snip*
    > >Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
    > >still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
    > >DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
    > >DLP...

    > **You know, I told him that I preferred a CRT to what I've seen. He
    > was adamant in that it was a dead technology (or at least one foot in
    > the grave and the other on a banana peel). We started arguing about
    > the merits of different types of tech. He got into it on such a
    > technological level that I couldn't keep up. Well, anyway, if I had to
    > choose between a 50" DLP or a 32" CRT, I'd jump on the DLP, too :)
    >
    > kaboomie

    DLP still has some problems, most notably the tendency for the whites
    to saturate. Disregarding size, I'd pick CRT over anything else. Dead
    tech? likely, but not b/c others LOOK better (i think), but rather b/c
    of convenience (size/weight/depth) and price.

    i have a 32" WEga in the bedroom and really, it still looks good.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 18, 2005
  10. kaboom Guest

    On 17 Jul 2005 16:38:10 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >DLP still has some problems, most notably the tendency for the whites
    >to saturate. Disregarding size, I'd pick CRT over anything else. Dead
    >tech? likely, but not b/c others LOOK better (i think), but rather b/c
    >of convenience (size/weight/depth) and price.
    >
    >i have a 32" WEga in the bedroom and really, it still looks good.

    **Do you have any thoughts on what are quality brands these days?
    Personal faves?

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Ed Kim Guest

    kaboom wrote:
    > On 17 Jul 2005 16:38:10 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    > >DLP still has some problems, most notably the tendency for the whites
    > >to saturate. Disregarding size, I'd pick CRT over anything else. Dead
    > >tech? likely, but not b/c others LOOK better (i think), but rather b/c
    > >of convenience (size/weight/depth) and price.
    > >
    > >i have a 32" WEga in the bedroom and really, it still looks good.

    > **Do you have any thoughts on what are quality brands these days?
    > Personal faves?
    >
    > kaboomie

    as much as i hate Sony the company and most of their products are krap,
    I have always loved and still love their WEGA SD tube tvs (not nec.
    their Grand WEGA projections). Panasonic has a very nice tube but it
    doesn't have the Anamorphic mode. Samsung seems to have become of late
    a very good electronics company and their DLPs are kings, but i'm not
    sure about their tubes.

    I'm not so sure about the Tube HDTVs, but i'd start with Sonys and work
    along the ones with the reps first.

    avsforum is a good place with great info:

    here's a link to the 2005 samsung dlp stuff:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=207d8dc2cb98fabc8528622c197ba394&threadid=493443

    i'm sure there's good info about HD tubes there somewhere, too.

    hth

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Jul 18, 2005
  12. kaboom Guest

    On 18 Jul 2005 07:37:40 -0700, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    <re TVs>
    >as much as i hate Sony the company and most of their products are krap,
    >I have always loved and still love their WEGA SD tube tvs (not nec.
    >their Grand WEGA projections). Panasonic has a very nice tube but it
    >doesn't have the Anamorphic mode. Samsung seems to have become of late
    >a very good electronics company and their DLPs are kings, but i'm not
    >sure about their tubes.
    >
    >I'm not so sure about the Tube HDTVs, but i'd start with Sonys and work
    >along the ones with the reps first.
    >
    >avsforum is a good place with great info:
    >
    >here's a link to the 2005 samsung dlp stuff:
    >
    >http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=207d8dc2cb98fabc8528622c197ba394&threadid=493443
    >
    >i'm sure there's good info about HD tubes there somewhere, too.

    **Thanks so much, Goro! I really appreciate the info. I've been
    looking at the Samsungs because I've had a good experience with the
    regular CRT I own now.

    To extend your Sony thoughts: I used to swear by Sony products but not
    now. I had an old Sony Discman that lasted almost a decade, when it
    started to skip, I bought a new one. That lasted about a year or two.
    I bought a Sony CD carousel a few years back. As I didn't hook it up
    immediately, I never realized that it didn't have an on/off switch on
    the remote. That is such a simple and basic thing and I couldn't bring
    it back. What kind of engineering is that? I know it's a little thing
    but it is inconvenient for me.

    I've had good experiences with their computers. I have an early 97
    Vaio which probably still works but since I got a new Vaio a few years
    ago, it's been unhooked.

    My Dad has a huge Sony projection TV and I think it looks terrible. I
    have heard good things about the Wegas though.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Mike Guest

    my 27" Wega with 16:9 mode is just dandy

    Mike, Jul 19, 2005
  14. <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm shopping for a new 27" tv, and am a bit confused. Do I need to care
    > about advertised lines of resolution of a tv for watching dvds? Will it
    > make a difference? Aside from how it looks in the store (often lousy,
    > with cables split a million times) is there anything else to look for?
    >
    > I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > colin

    A few weeks ago I purchased an RCA HDTV Monitor (D27F750T). It's a flat
    panel CRT. I love it. The price was incredible: Less than $300 at
    Walmart. The same TV was at Sam's at the time for $349. I think MSRP is
    about $550.

    Bill

    Bill & Debbie, Jul 19, 2005
  15. Mac Breck Guest

    I'm looking for personal experience here. Which of the technologies
    (LCD, Plasma, Rear Projection, CRT) has the least problems with
    discolorations in the matted area. I have a 20 year old Fisher 27" 4:3
    that's starting to go, and I'll need to be replacing it, probably before
    the end of the year. On the existing 27" I have black matte bars top
    and bottom when viewing a widescreen DVD[1], and have *never* had a
    discoloration problem. My cousin's 1 year old ~54" (a guess) Panasonic
    Rear Projection 16:9 TV has grey bars on the sides when viewing a 4:3
    source. Then, after switching to a widescreen DVD, the area that had
    the grey bars has a yellowish-tan tint that never goes away. I want to
    *avoid* that. Other than that, I like his TV. It's sharp as hell, but
    those persistent afterimages (discolored bars) would really piss me off.

    [1] I buy Original Aspect Ratio whenever possible. If OAR is 4:3,
    that's fine. I'd rather that than pseudo-widescreen (cropped top and
    bottom => loss of picture info./area).

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    -------------------------------

    "Brimstone" (1998)
    [Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
    Gina: Who's that for?
    Ezekiel Stone: Me.

    Mac Breck, Jul 19, 2005
  16. Ed Kim Guest

    Mac Breck wrote:
    > I'm looking for personal experience here. Which of the technologies
    > (LCD, Plasma, Rear Projection, CRT) has the least problems with
    > discolorations in the matted area. I have a 20 year old Fisher 27" 4:3
    > that's starting to go, and I'll need to be replacing it, probably before
    > the end of the year. On the existing 27" I have black matte bars top
    > and bottom when viewing a widescreen DVD[1], and have *never* had a
    > discoloration problem. My cousin's 1 year old ~54" (a guess) Panasonic
    > Rear Projection 16:9 TV has grey bars on the sides when viewing a 4:3
    > source. Then, after switching to a widescreen DVD, the area that had
    > the grey bars has a yellowish-tan tint that never goes away. I want to
    > *avoid* that. Other than that, I like his TV. It's sharp as hell, but
    > those persistent afterimages (discolored bars) would really piss me off.

    that's called burn-in.

    DLP has no burn-in. ALl the ohter ones have some level of burn-in
    problem, althouhg i believe Plasma's is supposedly minimal.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Jul 19, 2005
  17. Mac Breck Guest

    "Ed Kim" <> wrote in message

    > Mac Breck wrote:
    > > I'm looking for personal experience here. Which of the technologies
    > > (LCD, Plasma, Rear Projection, CRT) has the least problems with
    > > discolorations in the matted area. I have a 20 year old Fisher 27"

    4:3
    > > that's starting to go, and I'll need to be replacing it, probably

    before
    > > the end of the year. On the existing 27" I have black matte bars

    top
    > > and bottom when viewing a widescreen DVD[1], and have *never* had a
    > > discoloration problem. My cousin's 1 year old ~54" (a guess)

    Panasonic
    > > Rear Projection 16:9 TV has grey bars on the sides when viewing a

    4:3
    > > source. Then, after switching to a widescreen DVD, the area that

    had
    > > the grey bars has a yellowish-tan tint that never goes away. I want

    > > *avoid* that. Other than that, I like his TV. It's sharp as hell,

    but
    > > those persistent afterimages (discolored bars) would really piss me

    off.

    > that's called burn-in.
    >
    > DLP has no burn-in. ALl the ohter ones have some level of burn-in
    > problem, althouhg i believe Plasma's is supposedly minimal.

    DLP seems like an *extremely* complex, fragile technology. All those
    moving mirrors and color wheels? I dunno. Seems iffy to me.

    Don't Plasma TVs have a short service life problem?

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Jul 19, 2005
  18. Mac Breck Guest

    "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message

    To answer my own question.....

    > Don't Plasma TVs have a short service life problem?

    Checked one plasma TV and found:

    VIZIO P50HDM Plasma Monitor
    50" diagonal, 16:9, 10000:1 contrast, $ 3,299 MSRP

    Display Life: 60,000 hours (6.8 years of constant use). I suppose
    that's not too bad.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Jul 19, 2005
  19. gaffo Guest

    Goro wrote:

    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    >>"Aphelion" <> wrote in message

    >>>DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
    >>>DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

    >>No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
    >>also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
    >>definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
    >>progressive scan format.
    >>
    >>High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

    > Good post.

    indeed - yes it was. I'll add that a cheapo TV will give 400 lines max.
    Most "Standard TVs" today will give 450 or so.

    Not quite 480, but close.

    BTW that is more to a TV's picture quality that its resolution!!!!!!!!
    MUCH MORE!!

    bleeding?, contrast, picture noise, color accuracy, tude
    shape.......etc.......

    > I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
    > Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs.

    why not? - I find them to be the most PRACTICAL option for the next 5
    years (or even 10!).

    Most programming will remain NON-HD for the next few years (thems the
    facts). DVDs rez. seems to be "good enough" for most folks and so don;t
    expect HD to be taking over that soon.

    EDTVs have LINE DOUBLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    and a nice line doubler to take out the gawd awfull SCANLINES will even
    make a VHS signal look gorgous!

    there's basically no
    > point in it.

    I dissagree. In fact there is no point to buy a tube TV without a build
    in line doubler!!

    any good EDTV would be an excellent choice for DVDs!

    > Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n)

    no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - non have line doublers. this means flickering screen
    and scanlines out the ass...........

    > or pay
    > for the HDTV (720p).

    no!! - no need to pay triple when the guy ain't gonna be watching HD
    stuff!!!

    ..................real HD is 1080 anyway IMO.

    > I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
    > the market now.

    - none are front projectoer however. and to really see 1080 in its glory
    (other than to have at least the content) you need a wall-sized screen.

    > I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
    > would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
    > image quality at 27".

    not all that much for a 1080i unit of this size - since you 'd have to
    sit 1-feet from the screen to see a difference from SD material.

    > -goro-

    BTW Colin (original poster?).............goto www.projectorcentral.com

    check the Optoma H31 and read the "budget projector
    shootout"............and all the user reveiws of the Optoma H31.

    it uses the newest "DarkChip" HD2 DLP. costs 1000 bucks and will display
    a 12ft screen in my 14 x 11 ft room. I use 3-buck "blackout cloth"
    (temporary for now) and the picture is FAB!

    Resolution is stock standard 480 x 853.........this is your standard DVD
    resolution.

    In fact this unit will give a better picture for DVDs than a higher rez.
    10,000 dollar DLP unit since there is no-scaling!!

    no scanlines and even VHS looks good!...........check for "rainbows"
    however. I see them if look for them, but I've not noticed them so much
    after a couple of months............

    good luck!

    --

    The jury has the power to bring a verdict in the teeth of both the law
    and the facts.

    Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Horning v. District of Columbia, 1920

    gaffo, Jul 20, 2005
  20. gaffo Guest

    Ed Kim wrote:

    > that's called burn-in.
    >
    > DLP has no burn-in. ALl the ohter ones have some level of burn-in
    > problem,

    LCDs are negligable. and eventually the Blue is the first to go on them.

    > althouhg i believe Plasma's is supposedly minimal.

    NOPE!! Plasma is teh WORST! - twice the burn-in rate of a projection
    CRT. And that is saying alot.

    They NEVER tell you that either!! Plasma is a scam!

    get anything else - it will be cheaper and look better to boot.

    --

    Jurors should acquit, even against the judge's instruction...if
    exercising their judgement with discretion and honesty they have a clear

    Alexander Hamilton, 1804

    gaffo, Jul 20, 2005