Help changing PPP to frame relay

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Larry, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    We're changing from a PPP circuit to a frame relay for cost reasons. I will
    need to change the IP address and the encapsulation of the serial interface
    which I can figure out. I need to know where to configure the VPI/VCI and
    DLCI (same number as VCI). It seems I can do this on ser 0 or a sub
    interface. I don't envision adding any more circuits, so assuming I don't
    use a sub interface, where do I configure these 3 items? I found "dxi pvc"
    for the VPI but can't find a VCI or DLCI setting.

    Settings provided to me are:

    Service type Basic Frame
    CSU Time slot setting 1-24 (1536k)
    LMI Type ANSI
    Encapsulation Setting Frame Relay IETF
    VPI/VCI 12/345
    DLCI 345

    So basically, how do I setup the serial interface for frame relay on a 1720
    with software version 12.3(6a). Detailed examples are good. ;o}

    Thanks in advance,

    Larry

    Larry, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Larry

    Scooby Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > We're changing from a PPP circuit to a frame relay for cost reasons. I

    will
    > need to change the IP address and the encapsulation of the serial

    interface
    > which I can figure out. I need to know where to configure the VPI/VCI and
    > DLCI (same number as VCI). It seems I can do this on ser 0 or a sub
    > interface. I don't envision adding any more circuits, so assuming I don't
    > use a sub interface, where do I configure these 3 items? I found "dxi pvc"
    > for the VPI but can't find a VCI or DLCI setting.
    >
    > Settings provided to me are:
    >
    > Service type Basic Frame
    > CSU Time slot setting 1-24 (1536k)
    > LMI Type ANSI
    > Encapsulation Setting Frame Relay IETF
    > VPI/VCI 12/345
    > DLCI 345
    >
    > So basically, how do I setup the serial interface for frame relay on a

    1720
    > with software version 12.3(6a). Detailed examples are good. ;o}
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Larry

    Larry, there are lots of samples on Cisco for setting up frame relay and a
    few different ways to accomplish what you want. If you have full mesh or
    only one pvc, you don't really need to use subinterfaces, and the dlcis are
    dynamically created. However, short of a large network, it is not hard to
    set up the subinterfaces and leads to good documentation when looking at the
    router config. Here is a quick example of how you can do this:

    interface serial0/0
    encapsulation frame-relay ietf
    frame-realy lmi-type ansi

    interface serial0/0.1 point-to-point
    ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    frame-realy interface-dlci 345 ietf

    That should be the basics to get you started. Since you are using all T1
    slots, you shouldn't need to add any commands for that.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    "Scooby" <> wrote in

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> We're changing from a PPP circuit to a frame relay for cost reasons.

    > will
    >> need to change the IP address and the encapsulation of the serial

    > interface
    >> which I can figure out. I need to know where to configure the VPI/VCI
    >> and DLCI (same number as VCI). It seems I can do this on ser 0 or a
    >> sub interface. I don't envision adding any more circuits, so assuming
    >> I don't use a sub interface, where do I configure these 3 items? I
    >> found "dxi pvc" for the VPI but can't find a VCI or DLCI setting.
    >>
    >> Settings provided to me are:
    >>
    >> Service type Basic Frame
    >> CSU Time slot setting 1-24 (1536k)
    >> LMI Type ANSI
    >> Encapsulation Setting Frame Relay IETF
    >> VPI/VCI 12/345
    >> DLCI 345
    >>
    >> So basically, how do I setup the serial interface for frame relay on

    > 1720
    >> with software version 12.3(6a). Detailed examples are good. ;o}
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Larry

    > Larry, there are lots of samples on Cisco for setting up frame relay
    > and a few different ways to accomplish what you want. If you have
    > full mesh or only one pvc, you don't really need to use subinterfaces,
    > and the dlcis are dynamically created. However, short of a large
    > network, it is not hard to set up the subinterfaces and leads to good
    > documentation when looking at the router config. Here is a quick
    > example of how you can do this:
    >
    > interface serial0/0
    > encapsulation frame-relay ietf
    > frame-realy lmi-type ansi
    >
    > interface serial0/0.1 point-to-point
    > ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    > frame-realy interface-dlci 345 ietf
    >
    > That should be the basics to get you started. Since you are using all
    > T1 slots, you shouldn't need to add any commands for that.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Jim

    I also downloaded the Configmaker from Cisco and created a sample
    config. Oddly enough it looks almost exactly like yours. The only
    concern I have is at the "config-if" prompt I don't have a frame-relay
    command available. Will that show up when I change the encapsulation?

    Thanks,
    Larry

    Larry, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Larry

    Scooby Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > "Scooby" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > >> We're changing from a PPP circuit to a frame relay for cost reasons.

    > > will
    > >> need to change the IP address and the encapsulation of the serial

    > > interface
    > >> which I can figure out. I need to know where to configure the VPI/VCI
    > >> and DLCI (same number as VCI). It seems I can do this on ser 0 or a
    > >> sub interface. I don't envision adding any more circuits, so assuming
    > >> I don't use a sub interface, where do I configure these 3 items? I
    > >> found "dxi pvc" for the VPI but can't find a VCI or DLCI setting.
    > >>
    > >> Settings provided to me are:
    > >>
    > >> Service type Basic Frame
    > >> CSU Time slot setting 1-24 (1536k)
    > >> LMI Type ANSI
    > >> Encapsulation Setting Frame Relay IETF
    > >> VPI/VCI 12/345
    > >> DLCI 345
    > >>
    > >> So basically, how do I setup the serial interface for frame relay on

    > > 1720
    > >> with software version 12.3(6a). Detailed examples are good. ;o}
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >>
    > >> Larry

    > > Larry, there are lots of samples on Cisco for setting up frame relay
    > > and a few different ways to accomplish what you want. If you have
    > > full mesh or only one pvc, you don't really need to use subinterfaces,
    > > and the dlcis are dynamically created. However, short of a large
    > > network, it is not hard to set up the subinterfaces and leads to good
    > > documentation when looking at the router config. Here is a quick
    > > example of how you can do this:
    > >
    > > interface serial0/0
    > > encapsulation frame-relay ietf
    > > frame-realy lmi-type ansi
    > >
    > > interface serial0/0.1 point-to-point
    > > ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    > > frame-realy interface-dlci 345 ietf
    > >
    > > That should be the basics to get you started. Since you are using all
    > > T1 slots, you shouldn't need to add any commands for that.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps,
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > I also downloaded the Configmaker from Cisco and created a sample
    > config. Oddly enough it looks almost exactly like yours. The only
    > concern I have is at the "config-if" prompt I don't have a frame-relay
    > command available. Will that show up when I change the encapsulation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Larry

    Larry,

    That seemed a little odd to me, so I just did a test. I set up a serial
    interface for ppp. Then, I went to configure the interface and it did not
    recognize the frame-relay command. Once I type 'int s0/1.1' and then went
    back to the main interface, it did recognize the command. Also, once you add
    the 'encap frame-relay' command it seems to enable it. So, try each of
    those and see if that does it for you.

    Jim

    Scooby, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    "Scooby" <> wrote in

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> "Scooby" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> > will
    >> > interface

    >> > 1720

    >> > Larry, there are lots of samples on Cisco for setting up frame
    >> > relay and a few different ways to accomplish what you want. If you
    >> > have full mesh or only one pvc, you don't really need to use
    >> > subinterfaces, and the dlcis are dynamically created. However,
    >> > short of a large network, it is not hard to set up the
    >> > subinterfaces and leads to good documentation when looking at the
    >> > router config. Here is a quick example of how you can do this:
    >> >
    >> > interface serial0/0
    >> > encapsulation frame-relay ietf
    >> > frame-realy lmi-type ansi
    >> >
    >> > interface serial0/0.1 point-to-point
    >> > ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
    >> > frame-realy interface-dlci 345 ietf
    >> >
    >> > That should be the basics to get you started. Since you are using
    >> > all T1 slots, you shouldn't need to add any commands for that.
    >> >
    >> > Hope that helps,
    >> >
    >> > Jim
    >> >

    >> I also downloaded the Configmaker from Cisco and created a sample
    >> config. Oddly enough it looks almost exactly like yours. The only
    >> concern I have is at the "config-if" prompt I don't have a
    >> frame-relay command available. Will that show up when I change the
    >> encapsulation?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Larry

    > Larry,
    >
    > That seemed a little odd to me, so I just did a test. I set up a
    > serial interface for ppp. Then, I went to configure the interface and
    > it did not recognize the frame-relay command. Once I type 'int
    > s0/1.1' and then went back to the main interface, it did recognize the
    > command. Also, once you add the 'encap frame-relay' command it seems
    > to enable it. So, try each of those and see if that does it for you.
    >
    > Jim

    Thanks, I have a couple of older routers. I'll drag them out and play
    with them so I can see what happens.

    Larry

    Larry, Oct 14, 2004