    study time?

    Matt Johnson
    , Jun 27, 2007

  2. CBIC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am a career consultant. I have been doing desktop support for around
    > 10 years now. I am embarrased to say, but I hold only an A+ Cert. I am
    > now being told I need to get at least my MCP in 30 days or face the
    > chopping block. I am on my CCNA training, but that's another fourm.
    > Can anyone give me a clear path to get my MCP with the least amount of
    > study time?
    >
    > Matt Johnson

    Take the exam for the product you have the most experience with.
    CBIC, Jun 27, 2007

  3. kpg Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > I am a career consultant. I have been doing desktop support for around
    > 10 years now. I am embarrased to say, but I hold only an A+ Cert. I am
    > now being told I need to get at least my MCP in 30 days or face the
    > chopping block. I am on my CCNA training, but that's another fourm.
    > Can anyone give me a clear path to get my MCP with the least amount of
    > study time?
    >
    > Matt Johnson

    hmmm...this is laughable...get an MCP or else...so management thinks
    this is how to ensure competency? What about the fact that you've
    been doing (I assume) a perfectly satisfactorily job up to now?

    The good news is just pick an exam you know something about, brush up
    on the objectives and take the test. You'll be proudly wearing that
    lapel pin in no time.
    kpg, Jun 27, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Jun 27, 10:59 am, kpg <> wrote:
    > "" <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > I am a career consultant. I have been doing desktop support for around
    > > 10 years now. I am embarrased to say, but I hold only an A+ Cert. I am
    > > now being told I need to get at least my MCP in 30 days or face the
    > > chopping block. I am on my CCNA training, but that's another fourm.
    > > Can anyone give me a clear path to get my MCP with the least amount of
    > > study time?

    > > Matt Johnson

    > hmmm...this is laughable...get an MCP or else...so management thinks
    > this is how to ensure competency? What about the fact that you've
    > been doing (I assume) a perfectly satisfactorily job up to now?
    >
    > The good news is just pick an exam you know something about, brush up
    > on the objectives and take the test. You'll be proudly wearing that
    > lapel pin in no time.

    Yeah, but those exams have useless details that I have to prep for.
    What is the easiest test to take for MCP?
    , Jun 27, 2007
  5. kpg Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > On Jun 27, 10:59 am, kpg <> wrote:
    >> "" <> wrote
    >> innews::
    >>
    >> > I am a career consultant. I have been doing desktop support for
    >> > around 10 years now. I am embarrased to say, but I hold only an A+
    >> > Cert. I am now being told I need to get at least my MCP in 30 days
    >> > or face the chopping block. I am on my CCNA training, but that's
    >> > another fourm. Can anyone give me a clear path to get my MCP with
    >> > the least amount of study time?

    >> > Matt Johnson

    >> hmmm...this is laughable...get an MCP or else...so management thinks
    >> this is how to ensure competency? What about the fact that you've
    >> been doing (I assume) a perfectly satisfactorily job up to now?
    >>
    >> The good news is just pick an exam you know something about, brush up
    >> on the objectives and take the test. You'll be proudly wearing that
    >> lapel pin in no time.

    > Yeah, but those exams have useless details that I have to prep for.
    > What is the easiest test to take for MCP?

    Again, based on your experience. For me it was Windows 2000. XP
    would also be a good choice. True, there is "useless" stuff, but
    it's a MS product exam, not a pratical how to do your job exam.
    kpg, Jun 27, 2007
  6. John R Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 27, 10:59 am, kpg <> wrote:
    >> "" <> wrote
    >> innews::
    >>
    >> > I am a career consultant. I have been doing desktop support for around
    >> > 10 years now. I am embarrased to say, but I hold only an A+ Cert. I am
    >> > now being told I need to get at least my MCP in 30 days or face the
    >> > chopping block. I am on my CCNA training, but that's another fourm.
    >> > Can anyone give me a clear path to get my MCP with the least amount of
    >> > study time?

    >> > Matt Johnson

    >> hmmm...this is laughable...get an MCP or else...so management thinks
    >> this is how to ensure competency? What about the fact that you've
    >> been doing (I assume) a perfectly satisfactorily job up to now?
    >>
    >> The good news is just pick an exam you know something about, brush up
    >> on the objectives and take the test. You'll be proudly wearing that
    >> lapel pin in no time.

    > Yeah, but those exams have useless details that I have to prep for.
    > What is the easiest test to take for MCP?

    If you've been doing desktop support, I would offer that 70-271 and/or
    70-272 might be right up your line. 70-271 is troubleshooing an XP
    installation, and 70-272 is troubleshooting desktop applications (mostly
    Office). I passed both of those within 30 days of the time that I started
    (of course, I had significant desktop support experience which I am assuming
    you do as well). Blend in that it took me about a week just to find a test
    site and get the first one scheduled.

    Good Luck to you,

    John R
    John R, Jun 27, 2007
  7. I'm sorry but if you are getting fired for not having a certification that
    has less of a meaning than A+ then I would get out of there ASAP. I think
    they are confusing MCP with MCSA/E or another REAL cert ;)

    Michael Gossett, Jun 27, 2007
  8. Since you have been in desktop support, you can plan to go for MCDST
    (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician), 2 exams. It specifically
    covers xp. You can later plan to go for vista upgrade through single exam
    70-621

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3NqdXRsYQ==?=, Jul 6, 2007