    of formatting it! I hadn't used DOS in a while and had forgotten the
    commands. What should I do now, to get the PC working? How do I format
    the hard drive and get it to laod a fresh copy of Win98SE? Thanks.

    JD, Jan 18, 2006

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    JD wrote:
    > It's like a Pentium II, 300mhz or so. It's a friend's. It had Windows 95
    > on it but wasn't functioning correctly. So I did a "fdisk" to erase the
    > hard drive and was going to load Windows 98 SE on it for him (I have a disk
    > and product key for Win98SE), but the computer keeps saying "non system
    > disk, replace and strike any key." (it says this whether or not there's a
    > disk in the CD-ROM). I think I accidentally repartioned the drive, instead
    > of formatting it! I hadn't used DOS in a while and had forgotten the
    > commands. What should I do now, to get the PC working? How do I format
    > the hard drive and get it to laod a fresh copy of Win98SE? Thanks.

    Once you have used fdisk to create a primary partition, you will have to
    format it (format c:).
    you will also have to go to the BIOS (Press DEL key, at startup, may
    also be F1 or F2) and set the BOOT ORDER to CD-ROM first, then HDD
    (IDE-0) This will let you boot from the CD-ROM then install as usual.

    Note that some old(er) CD-ROM's cannot read CD-R Disk's altho this
    should not be a problem as you are using an original disk right ?!

    JD
    JD, Jan 18, 2006

  3. JD

    Erick Guest

    Yes, fdisk repartitions drives. You still need to format it. Boot from a
    floppy disk or Windows CD (make sure the format.com utility is on the disk).
    Type "format c:" at the prompt, then say yes. If a partition was created
    with fdisk, it will format the drive.

    If it says anything about the drive not being there, run fdisk again, and
    tell it to create a Primary DOS partition (option #1 on the first menu, then
    option #1 on the 2nd menu. Say yes to any questions it asks). Once done,
    reboot with the floppy/Windows CD and run format.

    Erick, Jan 19, 2006
  4. JD

    Brian Guest

    You need to make sure you can select the CD drive as a boot device in BIOS.
    If you cannot then you need to have a win98 (doesnt matter what version)
    boot disk so the cd drive can be recognized on boot. Once you get the win 98
    boot menu select "boot with cd rom support" (this will make your load
    faster). At the prompt create a directory on the c: drive called win98 (md
    c:\win98). change to that directory and copy the files (copy d:\win9x\*.*)
    from the cd rom drive (assuming d: is the cd-rom drive) to the c:\win98
    directory. Then run your setup from the hdd. It loads much faster from the
    hdd than the cd-rom, plus you can direct any future calls for the cd to that
    directory if you have the space to keep it, otherwise delete the win98
    directory after installing.
    Brian, Jan 24, 2006