    startup files. Can get on here, that's about it. Can't go into program
    files to delete anything. Can't delete adaware. Zip. Can anybody help me
    restore?
    Dee, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Dee

    donnie Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:24:05 -0500, "Dee" <>
    wrote:

    >My computer has been attacked by spyware and now I can't get into any of my
    >startup files. Can get on here, that's about it. Can't go into program
    >files to delete anything. Can't delete adaware. Zip. Can anybody help me
    >restore?

    ###################
    You can start by telling us what version of windows. In the meantime
    you can try booting into safe mode or renaming the startup folder so
    it doesn't start. Can you run regedit? If so, go into
    HKLM
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Run
    Many of those viruses hide there. If you have an older version of
    windows w/ msconfig, autoexec.bat, config.sys, look in one of those.
    Get back to us.
    donnie, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Dee

    KG6VQE Guest

    I have found two programs that I love to use in this case...They are at the
    sysinternals.com website... One is "AUTORUNS", and the other is "PROCESS
    EXPLORER". They have versions for Win9x and WinNT (NT, 2000, XP).
    The Autoruns will show you what starts up when you start Windows. It shows
    you the startup files, and all files in the registry, under the RUN, and
    RUNONCE menues.
    Process Explorer, is like the NT/2000/XP Task Manager, but on steriods. It
    will show you what is running, what company it is from (MS, Trend Micro,
    Norton, etc), and allows you to KILL off the offending task.

    I usually keep only those files I know, and kill everything else, not made
    by MS, or other known entity.

    I then run a SPYWARE program (Adaware, etc). And kill all SPYWARE. Then
    delete your Windows/Temp files (where most junk lies). Lastely, dump your
    Internet Cache.

    This takes care of about 95% of problems. If the Virus/Program cannot
    autostart, then ask yourself "What am I doing to initiate the attack".

    I assume you have a good AntiVirus program. If not try
    http://housecall.antivirus.com for a free online one. It will clean any
    virus off the system.

    Lastly use Windows update to keep current on patches.
    KG6VQE, Oct 1, 2004