    Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
    in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

    , May 8, 2006

  2. Guest

    Re: Help! Can't find a camera!

    wrote:
    > I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
    > find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
    > a match?
    >
    > 1. under $250
    > 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
    > MPEG4 would be nice.
    > 3. super macro
    > 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
    > 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
    > 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
    > 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
    > mandatory)
    > 8. SMALL
    > 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
    > 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
    > 11. plenty of control and creativity options
    >
    > Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
    > in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

    All cameras are compromises, no one will do everything. dSLR's come
    closest to an "ideal" still camera, but of course are rather expensive
    and bulky. That's the tradeoff one makes to get the versatility and
    control of a dSLR.

    Get the Canon A610, perhaps the S2-IS would fit you better, or perhaps
    the Fuji F-30 if it is as good as the F-10/11 for noise, or how about
    the Pana FX-01, whatever, and be happy, learn to use it optimally, get
    some great pictures.... and perhaps in the future there'll be a camera
    that does everything you want. Using a still camera for videos is not
    ideal anyways, (ie. it sucks!) delete that and any one other
    requirement from your list (the AA requirement is killing you) and
    you've got 100's of choices.

    , May 8, 2006

  3. Re: Help! Can't find a camera!

    The AA-battery thing is going to be your big limitation. I sorta like
    the Pentax Optio S40 (now the S60) for its compactness and use of AAs
    or CRV3 lithium batteries that last a long time. But the camera's not
    perfect. Look at a Kodak V550; it uses a proprietary battery but
    otherwise meets your criteria. Both are under $250 if you shop around a
    bit.

    -CD

    Cardamon Dave, May 9, 2006
  4. JohnR66 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
    > find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
    > a match?
    >
    > 1. under $250
    > 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
    > MPEG4 would be nice.
    > 3. super macro
    > 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
    > 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
    > 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
    > 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
    > mandatory)
    > 8. SMALL
    > 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
    > 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
    > 11. plenty of control and creativity options
    >
    > Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
    > in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

    Not sure what you mean about the video compression on the A610. It seems to
    be very good to me. Sound could be better though. Battery life is
    incredible. It last so long on alkalines, I don't even bother with
    rechargables because they would need recharged every month or so.
    John

    JohnR66, May 9, 2006
  5. Newshound Guest

    S2 IS

    Newshound, May 9, 2006
  6. Jim Guest

    On 2006-05-08 15:19:51 -0400, said:

    > I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
    > find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
    > a match?
    >
    > 1. under $250
    > 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
    > MPEG4 would be nice.
    > 3. super macro
    > 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
    > 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
    > 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
    > 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
    > mandatory)
    > 8. SMALL
    > 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
    > 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
    > 11. plenty of control and creativity options
    >
    > Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
    > in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

    Geez.. I would love a car that goes from 0-60 in 4.5 secs, gets 40 mpg
    and costs less than $15,000.
    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, May 9, 2006