    server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
    at all.

    TIA
    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 10, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    5hulses wrote:
    > I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
    > (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
    > connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
    > server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
    > at all.
    >
    > TIA

    Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
    probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
    (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
    someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.

    Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
    temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
    connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
    on your laptop.

    If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
    assistance.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jun 10, 2007

  3. Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
    then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
    suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 10, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you've "tried to disable &
    then reable my connection." What steps did you take to do this?

    What I meant was that you should go into your router's configuration
    utility and disable the security settings (encryption, MAC filter, etc)
    there.

    Have you ever been able to connect to your wireless network from this
    laptop? If so, what happened just before you stopped being able to do so?

    5hulses wrote:
    > Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
    > then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> 5hulses wrote:
    >>> I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
    >>> (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
    >>> connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
    >>> server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
    >>> at all.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
    >> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
    >> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
    >> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
    >>
    >> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
    >> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
    >> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
    >> on your laptop.
    >>
    >> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
    >> assistance.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jun 10, 2007
  5. Lem,

    It did work with no problems 2 months ago..have't used the laptop since
    then....what I mean was that I tried to repair the connection, but it still
    says I'm connected..haven't looked at my router yet though.

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Lem, just tried to ping & got a "Reguest time out"..what does that mean?

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 11, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    power your laptop off.
    unplug the router and plug it back in.
    wait 60 seconds

    power on the laptop

    are you still having an issue?

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:22:01 -0700, 5hulses
    <> wrote:

    >Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
    >then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
    >suggestions?
    >
    >"Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> 5hulses wrote:
    >> > I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
    >> > (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
    >> > connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
    >> > server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
    >> > at all.
    >> >
    >> > TIA

    >> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
    >> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
    >> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
    >> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
    >>
    >> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
    >> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
    >> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
    >> on your laptop.
    >>
    >> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
    >> assistance.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    Barb Bowman, Jun 11, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    You just tried to ping what? Regardless, it means that you're not
    connected to your router. What almost certainly has happened, given
    your description, is that after failing to connect to the router, and
    therefore failing to get an IP address from the router's DHCP server,
    Windows has automatically assigned an APIPA address (196.254.x.y) to
    your laptop's wifi adapter and then reported it to be "connected."

    Did you try Barb Bowman's suggestion to power cycle your router?

    Lem, Jun 11, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Guest

    On 11-Jun-2007, Lem <> wrote:

    > You just tried to ping what? Regardless, it means that you're not
    > connected to your router.

    Google for the command ipconfig /all, follow the instructions
    and post the result here. My guess is that it will show a
    complete mess.
    You need to have values for your PC's IP Address,
    your router which is your route to the outside world,
    your DNS server (which may be the same as your router),
    it is how web and mail addresses get resolved to
    IP addresses. There should also be a subnet mask.
    If any of these are incorrect, or missing, things ain't
    going to work very well, if at all.
    Other points
    There are two default IP address ranges
    10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255 and
    192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
    all devices should be in one or the
    other set, they don't mix very well.
    Also turn off your firewall, and router/adapter
    security, while debugging the problem.
    Beyond that you get into PC management
    and error logs. What network services are running,
    any exclamation marks against network
    devices, what do the logs show.
    , Jun 11, 2007
  10. Powewring off laptop & unpluging router did NOT work....same thing!

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 12, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what is the name/SSID of your wireless network? if you didn't change
    it from whatever it was when it came out of the box, you DO need to
    change it.

    what model router and brand do you have?

    Barb Bowman, Jun 12, 2007
  12. I have a Linksys router & I changed it to my name...still doesn't work though

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 13, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    start, run
    cmd [enter]

    ipconfig /all

    please copy all of this and paste into a notepad file and then paste
    the results in here.

    Barb Bowman, Jun 13, 2007
  14. How do you cut & paste it into notepad??

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 14, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Al Dunbar Guest

    "5hulses" <> wrote in message
    > How do you cut & paste it into notepad??

    If you are not comfortable cutting and pasting from a command prompt window,
    try this sequence of commands:

    first of all, start your reply to this post, then:

    start - run - cmd [enter]

    ipconfig/all > barb.txt
    start barb.txt

    when notepad opens up, press CTRL-A (this should cause the text to appear in
    white on black instead of black on white), then press CTRL-insert, then
    switch back to the reply you started, put the cursor at the top of the
    window, and then press SHIFT-insert. This will enter the output of the
    ipconfig/all command into your reply so we will have a better idea of what
    is going on on your system.

    /Al

    Al Dunbar, Jun 14, 2007
  16. OK...here goes:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : presario

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-10-66-A0-B2

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:08:58
    PM

    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:08:58 PM

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 14, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    this tells me you do get an IP address and that you have a 802.11b
    card. which Linksys router do you have? is this an 802.11g router
    that somehow was set to "g only". if this is not the case, do you
    know anyone else with a wireless laptop that can test connecting to
    your router?

    Barb Bowman, Jun 14, 2007
  18. Barb,

    It's a Linksys BEFW11S4 B (not G) wireless router & my daughter can get on
    with her laptop no problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=, Jun 14, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    can you do a reset on the router and restore it to factory defaults?
    then try to wirelessly connect the laptop again? if this works,
    immediately change the SSID name to something unique and setup
    security. then try again. still connect?

    Barb Bowman, Jun 14, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

    pico Hat Guest

    Is this 192.168.15.1 correct DNS server? If the laptop fails to resolve the domain name, for sure you won't be able to surf net.

    Try to set to these 2 opendns' (opendns.com) FREE dns servers, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and try again.

    picoHat
    http://www.home-network-help.com

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    pico Hat, Jun 21, 2007