    and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on my
    camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I then shot
    a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images. Any ideas?
    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005

  2. "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote in message
    news:cj%Se.10169$!nnrp1.uunet.ca...
    > Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    > containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    > plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows
    > camera and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on
    > my camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I then
    > shot a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images. Any
    > ideas?

    doesn't a comp, Windows, have to have specific RAW reading software before
    it will recognise a RAW file on a hard drive or your case a mass storage
    device.
    Glittery Gary, Sep 5, 2005

  3. I have numerous programs that recognize RAW files and have downloaded many
    in the past.

    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005
  4. "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote in message
    >I have numerous programs that recognize RAW files and have downloaded many
    >in the past.
    >
    > "Glittery Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote in message
    >>> Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    >>> containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    >>> plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows
    >>> camera and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on
    >>> my camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I
    >>> then shot a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> doesn't a comp, Windows, have to have specific RAW reading software
    >> before it will recognise a RAW file on a hard drive or your case a mass
    >> storage device.

    is camera still set to PTP...........
    Glittery Gary, Sep 5, 2005
  5. "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote in message
    >I have numerous programs that recognize RAW files and have downloaded many
    >in the past.
    >
    > "Glittery Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote in message
    >>> Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    >>> containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    >>> plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows
    >>> camera and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on
    >>> my camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I
    >>> then shot a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> doesn't a comp, Windows, have to have specific RAW reading software
    >> before it will recognise a RAW file on a hard drive or your case a mass
    >> storage device.

    or read for yourself............have you heard of Google.............then
    bloody well use it.
    Glittery Gary, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Geoffrey Ungar

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Geoffrey Ungar wrote:

    > Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    > containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    > plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows camera
    > and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images"

    The Windows camera wizard WON'T show you RAW files on EOS cameras..
    The Microsoft camera wizard is only programed to shows JPEGS .

    I don't understand why your card reader 'ignores' the cards.. It could be
    a bunch of things.. Perhaps the reader has gone bad ? Check your USB drivers.

    If you load the software that came with the camera (zoombrowser etc), you
    will be able to download your RAW files..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Camera is set to normal - as it always has

    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005
  8. I've already gone Google - what exactly is your problem - have you gone
    schitzo?

    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005
  9. I've tried a few programs ie: ACDSee... and nothing. The strange thing is
    that I can view them in my camera. The windows file manager shows the
    directories on the card but not the files...

    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005
  10. then use it...........

    Glittery Gary, Sep 5, 2005
  11. Geoffrey Ungar

    BH Guest

    Doesn't sound like a big problem, just don't use the Windows Camera and
    Scanner Wizard. When you insert the card, choose the last option to open a
    folder to view files. You should see img_XXXX.cr2, etc. Then cut/copy,
    drag/drop, whatever to get them to your hard drive.

    Beyond that you will need some sort of RAW viewer as suggested in other
    posts, or just use the Canon software.

    HTH

    bh

    BH, Sep 5, 2005
  12. Geoffrey Ungar

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:32:56 -0400, "Geoffrey Ungar"
    <> wrote:

    >Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    >containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    >plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows camera
    >and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on my
    >camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I then shot
    >a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images. Any ideas?

    The card reader won't ignore it. It also won't read it. It just makes
    it available to some app to read it. If the card reader is bad, it
    won't even do that.
    What software are you using to access the RAW files? Windows Explorer
    should see the files. It won't display them, but it should see them.
    Does it?
    We need more information than you've given.
    Tell us exactly what you're doing, what programs you're using.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 5, 2005
  13. Geoffrey Ungar

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Geoffrey Ungar wrote:

    > I've tried a few programs ie: ACDSee... and nothing. The strange thing is
    > that I can view them in my camera. The windows file manager shows the
    > directories on the card but not the files...

    The problem is that Windows camera wizard and ACDSee aren't
    designed to get RAW files off a USB connection to a Canon
    camera.

    This is normal..

    Either get your card reader working, OR install the software that
    came with your camera.. Canon wisely included software that allows
    you to download RAW files directly from your camera.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 5, 2005
  14. 1) When I plug the card into my computer's built-in card reader - nothing
    happens. It used to automatilcally open a dialogue box asking me what
    actions I chose to take.
    2) If I plug the camera into a USB port, a dialogue box opens asking me to
    select a program to launch an action. I have numerous programs offered to
    choose from including camera wizard, Photoshop, ACDSee. None of them come up
    with any image files.
    3) If I open Windows Explorer (with my camera still plugged in) I can acess
    my camera and see the directories on my card. However the directories do not
    display (list) any files inside. I know they are there because they can be
    viewed in the camera.

    Geoffrey Ungar, Sep 5, 2005
  15. Geoffrey Ungar

    Bigguy Guest

    Unplug your card reader.
    In Device Manager delete all USB devices.
    Reboot PC.- are USB controllers reinstalled?
    Plug in card reader - is it detected?
    Plug in memory card - see the files? if not then try another card reader...
    Copy files to hard drive...

    Guy

    Bigguy, Sep 5, 2005
  16. Geoffrey Ungar

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:46:36 -0400, "Geoffrey Ungar"
    <> wrote:

    >1) When I plug the card into my computer's built-in card reader - nothing
    >happens. It used to automatilcally open a dialogue box asking me what
    >actions I chose to take.
    >2) If I plug the camera into a USB port, a dialogue box opens asking me to
    >select a program to launch an action. I have numerous programs offered to
    >choose from including camera wizard, Photoshop, ACDSee. None of them come up
    >with any image files.
    >3) If I open Windows Explorer (with my camera still plugged in) I can acess
    >my camera and see the directories on my card. However the directories do not
    >display (list) any files inside. I know they are there because they can be
    >viewed in the camera.

    Bigguy has an excellent sugestion.
    Do other cards get read by that reader? If not, the USB port it's on
    may be faqrkled. Do what Biguy sugests, and see if that helps. If not,
    the problem will be different (obviously) but it tells us to look
    deeper.

    Bill Funk, Sep 6, 2005
  17. On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:32:56 -0400, "Geoffrey Ungar" <> wrote:

    >Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    >containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    >plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows camera
    >and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on my
    >camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I then shot
    >a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images. Any ideas?

    Download Pixmantec Raw Shooter while it is still FOC,, promises to be a good
    program

    Borge
    Start/run/regedit
    select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    navigate to system/services/atapi/parameters or
    system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi/parameters
    right click for new
    Select Dword name it EnableBigLba (take note of case)
    set value to 1
    end regedit
    reboot
    nesredep egrob, Sep 6, 2005
  18. Geoffrey Ungar

    Marvin Guest

    Geoffrey Ungar wrote:
    > Big problem! I'm using Canon EOS20D and have a Sandisk Extreme II 1 gig
    > containing a bunch of RAW images. My card reader ignores the card when I
    > plug it in. When I connect the camera directly to my PC - the windows camera
    > and scanner wizard opens and shows "no images" I can see them on my
    > camera's display. I took another card and had the same results. I then shot
    > a JPEG image. This one does appear, but not the RAW images. Any ideas?

    The card reader shouldn't care what the file format is. It should allow you to copy any
    file on your card to your hard drive. If it works on and off, it may be because the
    contacts on your card or in the reader need to be cleaned. The low-voltage connections
    are easily disrupted by even a little dirt.
    Marvin, Sep 6, 2005