    after typing format c:

    Please help!
    , Jul 29, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 28 Jul 2006 18:01:16 -0700, wrote:

    >i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
    >
    >I want to format c drive.
    >
    >Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
    >after typing format c:
    >
    >Please help!

    You need to copy format.com from - I'm trying to remember on windows
    98 - /windows/system to the floppy drive.
    Evan Platt, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Ben Myers Guest

    You do not have a proper bootdisk there, probably only the lame one produced by
    Windows 95/98/ME during software installation.

    Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the software to create the boot disk of your
    choice. Make the disk, then boot with it and try to format again... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 28 Jul 2006 18:01:16 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
    >>
    >> I want to format c drive.
    >>
    >> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad
    >> command after typing format c:
    >>
    >> Please help!

    > You need to copy format.com from - I'm trying to remember on windows
    > 98 - /windows/system to the floppy drive.

    (It's at C:\windows\command)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Jonny Guest

    No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
    command prompt.
    A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
    contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
    --
    Jonny

    Jonny, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Ben Myers Guest

    Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
    to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
    computer with CD support".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006
  7. Ben Myers Guest

    Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 29, 2006
  8. PCR Guest

    Have you sat at an XP-machine? That could split you in two!

    Put the Startup Diskette in, & turn on the computer, to boot it. But, if it's already on, just Ctrl-Alt-Del.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR, Jul 29, 2006
  9. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
    >
    > I want to format c drive.
    >
    > Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
    > after typing format c:

    The OEM created win98 bootdisk puts many of the commands you need in a
    ramdrive. Best to use my standard custom win98 bootdisk for best
    results.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 30, 2006
  10. êîáà Guest

    <> ñîîáùèë/ñîîáùèëà â íîâîñòÿõ ñëåäóþùåå:

    êîáà, Jul 30, 2006
  11. "Jonny" <> wrote in message
    > No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
    > command prompt.
    > A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
    > contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
    > --
    > Jonny

    It is not fdisk.exe he wants. It is format.com. Bad command means that the
    file was not found in the path. Format.com is found on the startup disk
    created with Windows 98SE. It is loaded into a RAM drive. It is not loaded
    if you choose Minimal Boot. If you do not make a choice, you go to the Help
    File. Shift-F5 takes you to the Command Prompt within the Help File. The
    underlying operating system is the Minimal Boot. You have to Choose CD
    Support/No CD Support to get the fully operational MS-DOS.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
    Earl F. Parrish, Jul 31, 2006