Help! Can connect to wlan but not internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Please help me. I am very confused about Wireless Networks and my WLAN
    which has worked fine for a year suddenly went bad on one of my PCs.

    The is a 3 PC home wireless LAN connected through a router to a Cable modem.
    Two of the PCs are XP Home SP2 and one is Windows 98SE. All three _still_
    connect fine to each other through the wireless LAN and still can retrieve
    files
    from each other. Suddenly, for no reason I can figure out one of the XP PCs
    (while still able to connect to the wireless network and retrieve files)
    can no longer connect to the internet through the wireless LAN. It keeps
    reverting to trying to connect through my old phone dialup connection.

    1. The wlan is working fine because this problem XP PC can connect to the
    other computers just fine.
    2. I have not changed any of my internet account settings. I just looked at
    them again and they all say to connect through the lan. No change there.
    3. I can connect to the internet if I use my old dialup - which I had not
    used for years.
    4. My wlan access is WPA protected. I have rebooted all PCs several times
    with no benefit. The wireless network icon on the problem laptop shows that
    it is connected with a good signal. I even disconnected and reconnected
    several times (with re-entering the WPA) with no improvement. The W98 PC
    still connects to the internet through the LAN with no problems so I think
    it must be a problem within the problem XP laptop itself. But I do not know
    where to look for it. Problem with its Internet
    sharing?
    5. I've turned off the WPA protection with no difference in the ability of
    the problem laptop to connect to the internet.
    6. None of my browsers are set to be "off-line" on this PC.
    7. I have relatively recent backups of my system and other partitions that I
    could use to restore from but do not know which files to restore to return
    things to the way they were when the connection worked.

    Please help. Despite a lot of reading I remain hopelessly confused when it
    comes to wireless lans and I need simple help.

    Jeff
    Jeff, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Any help appreciated!!!

    --
    Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Re: Help! Solved

    Not to worry. Solved itself as mysteriously as it appeared.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Txl Guest

    try to set your IP adresses MANUALLY and make sure you enter the gateway's
    IP (your cable modem IP) in the gateway field.

    I never use DHCP, it's a pain to set everything the first time but then it
    NEVER moves...

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/
    Txl, Dec 25, 2005
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Txl wrote:
    > try to set your IP adresses MANUALLY and make sure you enter the
    > gateway's IP (your cable modem IP) in the gateway field.
    >
    > I never use DHCP, it's a pain to set everything the first time but
    > then it NEVER moves...
    >

    >> Any help appreciated!!!

    Thank you.

    Jeff