Help buying MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OVS, May 20, 2004.

  1. OVS

    OVS Guest

    Please help, I can't make up my mind. I've been weighing up the pros and
    cons and I'm still undecided. The problem is , which to buy :

    Rio Karma
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQIFZ/ref=br_lf_ce_9/026-3306476-6498849

    or the Apple Ipod 20GB
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...xbB69Rqc4y5GEU/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.3.1.0.0.0.1.0

    With the Ipod will I need a Firewire card, the specs mention a PC FireWire
    adapter, is this the same thing?

    Has anyone tried both products? Which has the better sound quality? Which
    is more robust?

    I use Windows XP Pro

    Thanks
    Ox
    OVS, May 20, 2004

  2. On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:17:34 +0100, OVS wrote:

    > Please help, I can't make up my mind. I've been weighing up the pros and
    > cons and I'm still undecided. The problem is , which to buy :
    >
    > Rio Karma
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQIFZ/ref=br_lf_ce_9/026-3306476-6498849
    >
    > or the Apple Ipod 20GB
    > http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...xbB69Rqc4y5GEU/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.3.1.0.0.0.1.0
    >
    > With the Ipod will I need a Firewire card,

    Not necessarily...the iPod will work on USB2, but the lead is optional
    extra.

    > the specs mention a PC FireWire
    > adapter, is this the same thing?

    Yup.

    > Has anyone tried both products? Which has the better sound quality? Which
    > is more robust?

    I use an iPod to listen to music in the car most evenings. Sound quality
    is very good. Can't comment about the Rio Karma because I've never tried
    one. Plus the iPod is quite robust, although I wouldn't drop it.

    > I use Windows XP Pro

    Same here.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    michael turner, May 21, 2004

  3. OVS

    OVS Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:47:53 +0100, michael turner wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:17:34 +0100, OVS wrote:
    >
    >> Please help, I can't make up my mind. I've been weighing up the pros and
    >> cons and I'm still undecided. The problem is , which to buy :
    >>
    >> Rio Karma
    >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQIFZ/ref=br_lf_ce_9/026-3306476-6498849
    >>
    >> or the Apple Ipod 20GB
    >> http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...xbB69Rqc4y5GEU/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.3.1.0.0.0.1.0
    >>
    >> With the Ipod will I need a Firewire card,

    > Not necessarily...the iPod will work on USB2, but the lead is optional
    > extra.
    >
    >> the specs mention a PC FireWire
    >> adapter, is this the same thing?

    > Yup.
    >
    >> Has anyone tried both products? Which has the better sound quality? Which
    >> is more robust?

    > I use an iPod to listen to music in the car most evenings. Sound quality
    > is very good. Can't comment about the Rio Karma because I've never tried
    > one. Plus the iPod is quite robust, although I wouldn't drop it.
    >
    >> I use Windows XP Pro

    > Same here.

    Thanks Michael... I think I'll go for the safer option , Ipod.

    Thanks
    OVS, May 21, 2004
  4. OVS

    Michel Guest

    OVS wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:47:53 +0100, michael turner wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:17:34 +0100, OVS wrote:
    >>

    >>>Please help, I can't make up my mind. I've been weighing up the pros and
    >>>cons and I'm still undecided. The problem is , which to buy :
    >>>
    >>>Rio Karma
    >>>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQIFZ/ref=br_lf_ce_9/026-3306476-6498849
    >>>
    >>>or the Apple Ipod 20GB
    >>>http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...xbB69Rqc4y5GEU/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.3.1.0.0.0.1.0
    >>>
    >>>With the Ipod will I need a Firewire card,

    >>Not necessarily...the iPod will work on USB2, but the lead is optional
    >>extra.
    >>

    >>>the specs mention a PC FireWire
    >>>adapter, is this the same thing?

    >>Yup.
    >>

    >>>Has anyone tried both products? Which has the better sound quality? Which
    >>>is more robust?

    >>I use an iPod to listen to music in the car most evenings. Sound quality
    >>is very good. Can't comment about the Rio Karma because I've never tried
    >>one. Plus the iPod is quite robust, although I wouldn't drop it.
    >>

    >>>I use Windows XP Pro

    >>Same here.

    > Thanks Michael... I think I'll go for the safer option , Ipod.
    >
    > Thanks

    I use creative they are up to 60 GB last time I check but mine was with
    both fire-wire and usb 1.1 10 GB and cheaper with excellent music the
    more recent are very good more capacity and cheaper I think then IPOD
    and you are not tight to one online music service.

    Michel
    Michel, May 21, 2004
  5. On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:48:11 +0000, Michel wrote:

    > I use creative they are up to 60 GB last time I check but mine was with
    > both fire-wire and usb 1.1 10 GB and cheaper with excellent music the
    > more recent are very good more capacity and cheaper

    I was considering a Creative Nomad Jukebox player when I bought the iPod.
    But it was the smaller shirt-pocket size of the iPod which grabbed my
    attention.

    > I think then IPOD
    > and you are not tight to one online music service.

    You can use a couple of different tools to fill an iPod with. My
    favourite is iTunes, but you can also use Musicmatch Jukebox if you want.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    michael turner, May 22, 2004
  6. OVS

    Pastor Marc Guest

    Rio Karma was voted to have the best sound by Techworthy magazine. the only
    problem with the Rio is that it's too easy to scrath the darn screen. You'll
    have to get a good jacket for it.

    Pastor Marc, May 25, 2004
  7. OVS

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Pastor Marc" </lihbuvyrfh8tyihunijmo> wrote in message
    > Rio Karma was voted to have the best sound by Techworthy magazine. the

    only
    > problem with the Rio is that it's too easy to scrath the darn screen.

    You'll
    > have to get a good jacket for it.

    for the price, cdr mp3 players rox...

    -a|ex