    Thanks in advance,

    Best,

    Steve

    Steve Birkholz, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Steve Birkholz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking at buying a digital camera with at least 6 megapixels
    > and a 10X optical zoom. I have looked at lots of models, but every
    > one has upsides and downsides. Can anyone recommend a good quality
    > camera(s) that takes clear images, decent in low light, and
    > reasonably intuitive for a beginner photographer (me)? I know there
    > is no perfect camera, but would you please suggest some good
    > alternatives from which I could choose? I do not need a traditional
    > SLR, and want to keep the cost under $700.00.
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Steve

    Personally, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5. With such a large zoom
    range you need image stabilisation to make the most use of the tele end.
    For low light, you may need a DSLR (depends on your definition of "low
    light"), but again the image stabilisation will help you here. I think
    you will find it hard to see any difference between the Panasonic's 5MP
    and the 6MP you have suggested. The Panasonic is so light (about 350g)
    that you can easily take it anywhere. If you want a bigger model, look at
    the Panasonic FZ20. Both the FZ5 and the FZ20 have a Leica 36 - 432mm
    zoom lens (12X optical).

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 26, 2005

  3. > Personally, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5. With such a large zoom
    > range you need image stabilisation to make the most use of the tele end.
    > For low light, you may need a DSLR (depends on your definition of "low
    > light"), but again the image stabilisation will help you here. I think
    > you will find it hard to see any difference between the Panasonic's 5MP
    > and the 6MP you have suggested. The Panasonic is so light (about 350g)
    > that you can easily take it anywhere. If you want a bigger model, look at
    > the Panasonic FZ20. Both the FZ5 and the FZ20 have a Leica 36 - 432mm
    > zoom lens (12X optical).

    I have an FZ5 and like it.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Steve Birkholz

    Rich Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:23:15 GMT, "Steve Birkholz"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking at buying a digital camera with at least 6 megapixels and a 10X
    >optical zoom. I have looked at lots of models, but every one has upsides
    >and downsides. Can anyone recommend a good quality camera(s) that takes
    >clear images, decent in low light, and reasonably intuitive for a beginner
    >photographer (me)? I know there is no perfect camera, but would you please
    >suggest some good alternatives from which I could choose? I do not need a
    >traditional SLR, and want to keep the cost under $700.00.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Best,
    >
    >Steve

    You're requirement for 10x zoom and good low light performance are at
    odds with each other. Most of the cameras capable of this are DSLRs
    with very expensive zoom lenses. There are always trade-offs. The
    Panasonics cited have high noise levels when used with high ISOs which
    means difficulty in low light unless you are taking pictures of static
    objects. Cameras good in low light (low noise) like the Fuji F10 do
    not have long zooms. DSLRs with 10:1 zooms can be relatively
    inexpensive ($1200) for (for eg) a Canon Rebel XT and a Sigma
    18-200mm zoom lens, but it's out of your budget and the inexpensive
    zooms maximum aperture "makes" them as slow as a non-DSLR, even with
    their high ISO capability.
    IMO, you're best best would be a Nikon D50 DSLR (good low light
    performance) and more modest zoom lens, like the kit 18-55mm. But you
    wil have to spend more. If you can't swing the extra money, the
    Panasonic is as good as any other choice.
    What you need to do is go on dpreview.com and look for cameras with
    1. 10x zooms
    2. Fast apertures. You are more likely to find them with 5
    megapixels than 8.
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 26, 2005