    info off of the floppy at this point?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim

    Jim Kotsonas, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Jim Kotsonas

    Richard Guest

    "Jim Kotsonas" <> wrote in message
    news:OpqOa.64$...
    > Hey all,
    > Was working on a document when I had a computer glitch, which resutled in

    > minor crash right as I was trying to save the doc to a floppy disc.
    >
    > The doc is nowhere on the hard drive, and if I put the floppy in and click
    > on the "a" drive, it crashes and I have to go into Task manager and close
    > out explorer.
    >
    > I tried putting the disc into a laptop, and when I click on "a" drive, it
    > asks me if I want to format the floppy.
    >
    > Is there any way to extract (hopefully the doc is saved onto the floppy)

    the
    > info off of the floppy at this point?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jim

    Could try booting directly into DOS with a bootup disk.
    at the command prompt enter in the abbreviated file name.
    e.g. thisisalongfilename.doc would be translated to thisis~1.doc

    A>> dir

    Press enter and a directory listing appears.
    Check to make sure the file got saved properly.
    If not, check the available space, may not have the room.

    A>> Edit thisis~1.doc {note: leave space after 'edit'}

    This calls the dos editor and you can see the contents of the file.
    To close out, press alt+f then x or click exit.
    Now you can transfer the file to the hard drive if necessary.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Jim Kotsonas

    MLFnet Guest

    "Jim Kotsonas" <> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    > Was working on a document when I had a computer glitch, which resutled
    > in a minor crash right as I was trying to save the doc to a floppy
    > disc.
    >
    > The doc is nowhere on the hard drive, and if I put the floppy in and
    > click on the "a" drive, it crashes and I have to go into Task manager
    > and close out explorer.
    >
    > I tried putting the disc into a laptop, and when I click on "a" drive,
    > it asks me if I want to format the floppy.
    >
    > Is there any way to extract (hopefully the doc is saved onto the
    > floppy) the info off of the floppy at this point?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jim

    Floppies are bad and should only be used as transport media (i.e. there
    is still a copy of it on a HD somewhere and can be re-copied if the
    floppy doesn't make it).

    That being said you can find file repair utilites such as BadCopy Pro
    (http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/) and GetDataBack for VFAT
    (http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm).

    I've personally only used the GetDataBack series of products and have
    been able to pull data off of full formatted flash cards.

    -=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-

    MLFnet, Jul 8, 2003