[Help] At Wit's End With DVD Burning

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by youarehappyhey, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. Hey all,

    Just gotta vent here and ask for help with DVD burning from all of you
    experts in these newsgroups. All I've wanted to do is transfer some
    old home movies on VHS and 8mm video camcorder tape. I've been
    running the outputs from the VCR or camcorder to a Dazzle Digital
    Video Creator 150. In order to hopefully enhance the video quality, I
    run the video output through a GoDVD video enhancer between the VCR/
    camcorder output and the Dazzle input. The Dazzle then inputs into my
    computer which is a:

    Dell Dimension Desktop 4700
    3.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor
    16X DVD+/-R/RW (Phillips DVD burner)
    1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400 MHz
    250 GB hard drive
    Operating System is Windows XP Media Center

    My computer came with Sonic MyDVD software for burning video and data
    DVDs. The Dazzle video digitizer also came with Pinnacle Studio 9
    Quickstart, which allows video clips to be edited and output as
    various types of files. My media of choice is Delkin eFilm Archival
    Gold DVD-R. I have given up trying to make video DVDs because they
    were riddled with various problems. Instead, I've decided to make DVD-
    compatible MPEG files and store them on data DVDs. At least I can
    reliably make data DVDs which I can verify as being exact copies of
    the MPEG files burned.

    Unfortunately, I have a series of problems in the created MPEG files,
    pre-burning. First of all, Studio 9 Quickstart seems to force me to
    double-encode my MPEG files. The reason this happens is as follows:
    The capture step only allows me to save my initially captured video
    from the Dazzle video digitizer as MPEG files. These initial MPEG
    files look better than the finished ones, but I don't want to burn
    these initial MPEGs onto DVD because they need to be edited and
    trimmed such that blank tape captured at the beginning and end of the
    tape can be edited out. Well, after I drag the initial MPEG file to
    the storyboard in edit mode and trim the ends, I then have to use the
    Make MPEG function in the Make Movie step to make a new MPEG with the
    edits. The Make MPEG settings allows me to set a quality level of the
    output edited MPEG, such as DVD-compatible, which leads me to believe
    the program is re-encoding the edited MPEG, which seems rather
    pointless as it is already an MPEG file. The re-encoding seems to
    make the picture jerkier in the edited MPEGS, especially when the
    camera moves. Isn't there a way I can just trim the beginning and end
    of an MPEG file, without re-encoding the middle of it and altering the
    resulting video quality? I can't seem to find a way of doing so on
    Pinnacle Studio 9 Quickstart.

    In addition, even some of my initially captured video MPEG files have
    problems. The frames seem to be flickery and jerky at times. My
    Pinnacle capture settings are MPEG (high-quality DVD) (6000 Kbits/
    sec). I was wondering if maybe this is too high of a quality setting
    for my computer to keep up with? If so, what would be a better
    quality-level, in terms of bit rate, in light of my processing power.

    I have tried everything I can think of to try to fix the above
    problems, including updating Studio 9 Quickstart, Sonic MyDVD, and my
    DVD burner driver, turning off my screensaver, emptying my recycle bin
    and temporary files before burning, turning off my power saving
    settings, checking my system for viruses, running my disk
    defragmenter, not running any other applications while using my video
    software, and restarting my computer right before using my video
    software. Nothing seems to work.

    I can't understand why I can't get this stuff to make simple MPEG
    files for burning on data DVDs which are quality representations of
    their respective videos. Is this technology not perfected or what?
    All I have read indicates that my system should be perfectly capable
    of doing all that. I've looked at other software video digitizing
    equipment, but if you go on amazon.com, it seems like every such
    product has highly mixed reviews, even Nero software, which seemed to
    be the most highly respected video software on these newsgroups. If I
    just knew what hardware and software and settings that could reliably
    do what I want, I would happily try to purchase and use them.

    I tried technical support from Dell, Sonic, and Pinnacle, but am still
    having problems.

    I'm so frustrated, I'm just about ready to give up on my whole
    archiving project, which I was really looking forward to. What is
    going wrong here, and how can I fix it? I tried to provide as much
    information as I could for anyone willing to give an opinion or
    advice.

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Please reply to this message on the newsgroup.

    youarehappyhey, Feb 9, 2007

  2. youarehappyhey

    The Wizard Guest

    "youarehappyhey" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > All I have read indicates that my system should be perfectly capable
    > of doing all that. I've looked at other software video digitizing
    > equipment, but if you go on amazon.com, it seems like every such
    > product has highly mixed reviews, even Nero software, which seemed to
    > be the most highly respected video software on these newsgroups. If I
    > just knew what hardware and software and settings that could reliably
    > do what I want, I would happily try to purchase and use them.
    >
    > I tried technical support from Dell, Sonic, and Pinnacle, but am still
    > having problems.
    >
    > I'm so frustrated, I'm just about ready to give up on my whole
    > archiving project, which I was really looking forward to. What is
    > going wrong here, and how can I fix it? I tried to provide as much
    > information as I could for anyone willing to give an opinion or

    Can't really help you too much as I stopped using my TV card when I bought a
    seperate DVD recorder (A lot cheaper now than they used to be and great for
    recording Camcorder and VHS tape to DVD with no problem!)

    There is also a lot of different software mentioned on this group...Video
    Redo spring to mind for trimming the blank sections as you've mentioned at
    the start.

    Before shelling out for more software, Check the freeware newsgroup first, A
    lot of the freeware is just as good as the pay for stuff!

    Nero 6 would be handy as well, As there's a *Make DVD* option in the menu,
    Even a Record direct to DVD (Though I have'nt tried this yet with my TV card
    and somehow just hitting record and it going direct to disc!)

    I can't remember the actual audio, But do know it has to be set different
    for DVD compatabilty to what the usual audio settings of a TV card are also.

    I kept forgetting all the settings like a jerk, hence I took the DVD
    recorder route to make things a lot easier :)

    T.W.

    The Wizard, Feb 9, 2007

  3. youarehappyhey

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "The Wizard" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > There is also a lot of different software mentioned on this group...Video
    > Redo spring to mind for trimming the blank sections as you've mentioned at
    > the start.
    >
    > Before shelling out for more software, Check the freeware newsgroup first,
    > A lot of the freeware is just as good as the pay for stuff!
    >
    > Nero 6 would be handy as well, As there's a *Make DVD* option in the menu,
    > Even a Record direct to DVD (Though I have'nt tried this yet with my TV
    > card and somehow just hitting record and it going direct to disc!)
    >
    > I can't remember the actual audio, But do know it has to be set different
    > for DVD compatabilty to what the usual audio settings of a TV card are
    > also.
    >
    > I kept forgetting all the settings like a jerk, hence I took the DVD
    > recorder route to make things a lot easier :)

    www.VideoReDo.com should be all you need to do
    what you have described. Nero is a great burning
    program, but "burning" is only the process of using
    a laser to burn pits in a die layer of a blank DVD.
    Included with the Nero package is also "NeroVision"
    which insists on re-encoding perfectly good DVD
    compliant MPEG. Exposing any video to
    NeroVision, is a form of abuse.

    You have unfortunately ended up with a very poor
    combination of hardware and software.

    Dazzle has a very poor reputation.

    Sonic MyDVD has been a total disaster for many users.

    Pinnacle software isn't well liked either. (The more recent
    Avid versions, are definitely improving pinnacle's rep.)

    If you are getting acceptable MPEG from your Dazzle
    hardware, then a few software changes can get you
    back on track.

    The one hardware addition I would recommend is a
    capture hard drive separate from your system hard drive.
    Since you are capturing in MPEG, it need not be a
    large drive. (I use a 34GB 10k WD Raptor)

    If you want to do more extensive MPEG editing,
    consider the www.womble.com wizard products,
    or Ulead's VideoStudio 10+.

    To author a video DVD that functions like a commercial
    DVD, you should use a dedicated authoring program.
    My favorite for quick and dependable DVD authoring
    is TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 (TDA), a Google may still
    find a source for that version. DVD Lab Pro is a more
    capable authoring program, but is more complex and costs
    a little more. www.mediachance.com .

    First try trimming your Dazzle captures with the free trial
    download of VideoReDo, in addition to doing frame
    accurate cuts and joins, it will process and improve the
    audio and video timing. This will most likely fix your
    jittery video.

    Check out the user comments, for what you have now,
    at www.videohelp.com , there is often some workarounds
    mentioned for known problems, like alternate drivers or
    software for your capture card.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 9, 2007
  4. youarehappyhey

    Gene Guest

    Good advice , Ken - I agree 100%.

    I too was impressed with VideoReDo.
    Quick-Stream-Fix worked miracles sometimes.
    Ad-Detective actually "automatically" removed commercials from
    DVR recordings of TV satellite stuff. It zapped ~ 95%+ of them,
    which is amazing. It just looks for the black fade-in & fade-out
    frames to know where the commercials are located, which means
    that some night scenes are mistakenly removed. The grandkids
    never knew if some of the toon was missing, and never lost their
    train-of-thought when interrupted by commercials - worked the
    same with me too :)

    FYI - I had a long chat with one of their employees over the phone
    a few weeks ago. I was complaining that all I want to do is this:

    1. Place a DVD-+RW in a DVD (USB2) burner on my PC & close the door.
    (This DVD+-RW contains from 2 to 6 hours of TV programming, with
    commercials)

    2. Place a blank DVD-R in the 2nd DVD burner (IDE)

    3. Run VideoReDo and select an option that would write out a new
    finalized DVD-R with all commercials removed, then open both
    DVD drive doors & ask me if I want to place in two more DVDs &
    do it again - all with ZERO operator intervention. The DVD would be 99%+
    full.
    This is not rocket science, but the software companies
    can't seem to understand that some of the public just want simple
    solutions. I could care less about editing scene by scene, etc. in
    this case.

    The good news from the conversation was that the employee at VideoReDo
    "hinted" that VideoReDo would soon have "BURNER" code implemented into
    the next release. He would not be more specific than that, but an
    "All-in-One"
    with some dumb features per above would make them rich, IMHO. I would
    buy a copy for sure. TMPGEnc could also easily write this type of
    application,
    if they wanted to do so. Either company could grab the lead, but it's a
    management
    decision. My best guess is that these companies are still controlled by
    coders. It's like the old TI, where the engineers selected the products to
    sell -
    you get wonderful technology that is not user friendly, or marketing savvy.

    Another dumb all-in-one app that I want is to simply plug my camcorder
    into the PC via firewire, place in a DVD-R & come back to an opened
    DVD tray containing a finalized DVD-R that has been verified via
    rewinding the tape. The DVD-R would contain the tape (whatever the length)
    and would have no more than 1% unused capacity - that is, the
    maximum quality possible for this specific tape of unknown length.
    Geesh, this should be a piece of cake - all the code is out there now.
    Unfortunately, it's not all in one program yet. But it's only a matter of
    time...:)

    BTW - while I'm thinking ~ fully automating repetitive PC tasks, would
    someone post a link to a freeware program that records your mouse & keyboard
    clicks & generates a batch file thing for running multiple Windows apps?
    Some
    years ago, I had what was called a "Keyboard Macro Recorder" that worked
    great for repetitive tasks, but I lost it along the way. I did a Google, but
    did not
    find anything that looked good, and free:) I'll pay, but there should be a
    lot of
    free stuff out there by now - just can't fine one.

    Thanks,
    Gene

    Gene, Feb 9, 2007
  5. youarehappyhey

    Guest

    Re: At Wit's End With DVD Burning

    On Feb 9, 8:38 am, "Gene" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >> my TV card and somehow just hitting record and it going direct to disc!)

    > >> I can't remember the actual audio, But do know it has to be set different
    > >> for DVD compatabilty to what the usual audio settings of a TV card are
    > >> also.

    > >> I kept forgetting all the settings like a jerk, hence I took the DVD
    > >> recorder route to make things a lot easier :)

    > >> T.W.

    > > www.VideoReDo.comshould be all you need to do
    > > what you have described. Nero is a great burning
    > > program, but "burning" is only the process of using
    > > a laser to burn pits in a die layer of a blank DVD.
    > > Included with the Nero package is also "NeroVision"
    > > which insists on re-encoding perfectly good DVD
    > > compliant MPEG. Exposing any video to
    > > NeroVision, is a form of abuse.

    > > You have unfortunately ended up with a very poor

    Workspace Macro, http://www.tethyssolutions.com/product.htm is a good
    macro recorder. It is not free but of all that I have tried it is the
    best. I actually use their Pro version. Pro version allows editing
    etc.

    -Derek

    , Feb 9, 2007
  6. FWIW, Pinnacle products are notorious for not working right (I spent many
    hours beating my head against an earlier version of Studio), and when I
    tried Sonic --it came bundled with video editing software-- it wouldn't work
    at all. So I'd say you need new software, like the others have recommended.

    Kimba W. Lion, Feb 9, 2007
  7. youarehappyhey

    OldTimer Guest

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 04:25:27 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >consider the www.womble.com wizard products,
    >or Ulead's VideoStudio 10+.
    >
    >To author a video DVD that functions like a commercial
    >DVD, you should use a dedicated authoring program.
    >My favorite for quick and dependable DVD authoring
    >is TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 (TDA), a Google may still
    >find a source for that version. DVD Lab Pro is a more
    >capable authoring program, but is more complex and costs
    >a little more. www.mediachance.com .
    >
    > First try trimming your Dazzle captures with the free trial
    >download of VideoReDo, in addition to doing frame
    >accurate cuts and joins, it will process and improve the
    >audio and video timing. This will most likely fix your
    >jittery video.
    >
    >Check out the user comments, for what you have now,
    >at www.videohelp.com , there is often some workarounds
    >mentioned for known problems, like alternate drivers or

    I have to agree with Ken regarding VideoReDo. I use it for all my TV
    captures - cutting out commercials, joining files, etc. As far as TV
    capturing and converting VHS tapes, I use a Hauppauge WinTV PVR2 USB
    unit which does an vary acceptable job of encoding the VHS tapes input
    to MPEG2 files. As I'm sure Ken will agree, you will perhaps get a
    better result if you capture to uncompressed AVI and then do the
    encoding to MPEG2 in another program such as TMPEGEnc Plus but since
    my unit only allows capture to MPEG1 or 2, that's the way I go. And
    Ken's suggestions as to DVD authoring programs would also be mine with
    one alternative added. While I do use TMPEGEnc DVD Author for most of
    my TV serial captures, I generally opt for either DVDLab Pro or Sony
    DVD Architect to do more extensive authoring projects. But as Ken
    states, the learning curve for these two alternate programs can be
    rather daunting and one will have to devote some time to learning the
    intricacies of each program before one can really appreciate all that
    they are capable of doing.

    OldTimer

    OldTimer, Feb 9, 2007
  8. youarehappyhey

    Gene Guest

    You mentioned Sony DVD Architect.

    Have you found a way to "automatically" insert
    chapters every 5 or so minutes? I have read &
    read and have not found a way to use Sony 7 and
    Sony DVD Architect to do a simple DV to DVD-R
    with chapters. LOL - you would think that a package
    this expensive would have a simple way to do a quick &
    dirty copy and "automatically" generate skip points.
    I can do it manually, just can't find an auto way like
    VideoReDo , NeroVision, etc. uses...

    Thanks,
    Gene

    Gene, Feb 9, 2007
  9. youarehappyhey

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Gene" <> wrote in message
    > Good advice , Ken - I agree 100%.
    >
    > I too was impressed with VideoReDo.
    > Quick-Stream-Fix worked miracles sometimes.
    > Ad-Detective actually "automatically" removed commercials from
    > DVR recordings of TV satellite stuff. It zapped ~ 95%+ of them,
    > which is amazing. It just looks for the black fade-in & fade-out
    > frames to know where the commercials are located, which means
    > that some night scenes are mistakenly removed. The grandkids
    > never knew if some of the toon was missing, and never lost their
    > train-of-thought when interrupted by commercials - worked the
    > same with me too :)

    I never use the Ad-Detective feature, it is just too easy to do
    with out it.

    > FYI - I had a long chat with one of their employees over the phone
    > a few weeks ago. I was complaining that all I want to do is this:
    >
    > 1. Place a DVD-+RW in a DVD (USB2) burner on my PC & close the door.
    > (This DVD+-RW contains from 2 to 6 hours of TV programming, with
    > commercials)
    >
    > 2. Place a blank DVD-R in the 2nd DVD burner (IDE)
    >
    > 3. Run VideoReDo and select an option that would write out a new
    > finalized DVD-R with all commercials removed, then open both
    > DVD drive doors & ask me if I want to place in two more DVDs &
    > do it again - all with ZERO operator intervention. The DVD would be 99%+
    > full.
    > This is not rocket science, but the software companies
    > can't seem to understand that some of the public just want simple
    > solutions. I could care less about editing scene by scene, etc. in
    > this case.
    >
    > The good news from the conversation was that the employee at VideoReDo
    > "hinted" that VideoReDo would soon have "BURNER" code implemented into
    > the next release. He would not be more specific than that, but an
    > "All-in-One"
    > with some dumb features per above would make them rich, IMHO. I would
    > buy a copy for sure. TMPGEnc could also easily write this type of
    > application,
    > if they wanted to do so. Either company could grab the lead, but it's a
    > management
    > decision. My best guess is that these companies are still controlled by
    > coders. It's like the old TI, where the engineers selected the products to
    > sell -
    > you get wonderful technology that is not user friendly, or marketing
    > savvy.

    You Sir, are the Devil! I have no problem with someone making
    "Idiotware", "One Button" programs, just leave our useful tools
    alone. It is not "user friendly" to remove, or make hard to find,
    the controls that a knowledgeable user can use to great advantage.
    You seem to feel that technical software should be made to
    address the attention span of the "Stoned Slacker" generation.

    > Another dumb all-in-one app that I want is to simply plug my camcorder
    > into the PC via firewire, place in a DVD-R & come back to an opened
    > DVD tray containing a finalized DVD-R that has been verified via
    > rewinding the tape. The DVD-R would contain the tape (whatever the length)
    > and would have no more than 1% unused capacity - that is, the
    > maximum quality possible for this specific tape of unknown length.
    > Geesh, this should be a piece of cake - all the code is out there now.
    > Unfortunately, it's not all in one program yet. But it's only a matter of
    > time...:)

    And you are welcome to it, just leave us tools that allow us
    to make use of our understanding of the technology.

    > BTW - while I'm thinking ~ fully automating repetitive PC tasks, would
    > someone post a link to a freeware program that records your mouse &
    > keyboard
    > clicks & generates a batch file thing for running multiple Windows apps?
    > Some
    > years ago, I had what was called a "Keyboard Macro Recorder" that worked
    > great for repetitive tasks, but I lost it along the way. I did a Google,
    > but did not
    > find anything that looked good, and free:) I'll pay, but there should be
    > a lot of
    > free stuff out there by now - just can't fine one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gene

    I just Googled "keyboard macro" and there seems to be a
    number of such programs, many are free.

    Or you could learn a little simple scripting.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 9, 2007
  10. youarehappyhey

    Badger Guest

> [...]
    > equipment, but if you go on amazon.com, it seems like every such
    > product has highly mixed reviews, even Nero software, which seemed to
    > be the most highly respected video software on these newsgroups. If I
    > just knew what hardware and software and settings that could reliably
    > do what I want, I would happily try to purchase and use them.
    >
    > I tried technical support from Dell, Sonic, and Pinnacle, but am still
    > having problems.
    >
    > I'm so frustrated, I'm just about ready to give up on my whole
    > archiving project, which I was really looking forward to. What is
    > going wrong here, and how can I fix it? I tried to provide as much
    > information as I could for anyone willing to give an opinion or
    > advice.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance.
    >
    > Please reply to this message on the newsgroup.

    As others have told you, Pinnacle software is not good. I spent many
    frustrating hours with Pinnacle Studio 9 before I gave up in despair.
    My only attempt at using VideoReDo also ended badly as a bad synch problem
    arose between the video and audio streams on my output.
    The only software that consistently works for me is Ulead Video Studio. It
    will co-exist happily with other software, runs happily while I'm doing
    other work and has never failed to produce exactly what I wanted - trimmed,
    edited, effects, titles and menus added.
    Badger

    Badger, Feb 9, 2007
  11. youarehappyhey

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "OldTimer" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 04:25:27 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > I have to agree with Ken regarding VideoReDo. I use it for all my TV
    > captures - cutting out commercials, joining files, etc. As far as TV
    > capturing and converting VHS tapes, I use a Hauppauge WinTV PVR2 USB
    > unit which does an vary acceptable job of encoding the VHS tapes input
    > to MPEG2 files.

    > As I'm sure Ken will agree, you will perhaps get a
    > better result if you capture to uncompressed AVI and then do the
    > encoding to MPEG2 in another program such as TMPEGEnc Plus

    I most certainly do NOT agree with that. There is no benefit to
    having TV video spend any time as DV-AVI, on its way to
    a DVD.

    Ken Maltby, Feb 10, 2007
  12. youarehappyhey

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Badger" <> wrote in message

    > As others have told you, Pinnacle software is not good. I spent many
    > frustrating hours with Pinnacle Studio 9 before I gave up in despair.
    > My only attempt at using VideoReDo also ended badly as a bad synch problem
    > arose between the video and audio streams on my output.
    > The only software that consistently works for me is Ulead Video Studio. It
    > will co-exist happily with other software, runs happily while I'm doing
    > other work and has never failed to produce exactly what I wanted -
    > trimmed, edited, effects, titles and menus added.
    > Badger

    VideoReDo is famous for FIXING problems with A/V
    stream sync. In addition to its automatic improvements
    in that area, by how it treats MPEG timing data; there is
    a tool to allow you to make manual adjustments.

    Every incident I've heard of VideoReDo adding to A/V
    sync problems, it was do to an excessive number of very
    damaged video and audio frames, causing the need to
    reject too many, so as to bring the rest of the video into
    sync. This is most often a capture problem.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 10, 2007
  13. Re: At Wit's End With DVD Burning

    Thank you everyone for all of the great advice. I am taking it all
    into consideration and will be following your advice.

    youarehappyhey, Feb 10, 2007
  14. "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Included with the Nero package is also "NeroVision"
    >which insists on re-encoding perfectly good DVD
    >compliant MPEG.

    Ken:

    You make this point frequently, but do you have (current) hard
    evidence please?

    challenged them about your warning that NVE re-encoded unnecessarily,
    and posted their reply here:

    Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd.authoring
    Subject: Re: Nero 7
    Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006

    Here's an extract from that post:

    ---------
    "It is definetly not true that Nero Vision Express 3 recodes
    everything needlessly.
    Nero Vision Express provides a feature named "Smart Encoding".
    If activated Nero Vision Express will check your file and only recode
    if needed.
    The feature can be found this way: Start Nero Vision Express and click
    on "More"->"Default Video Options"

    I haven't yet tried this, but aim to revisit NVE soon and give it
    another chance. On balance, during my early brief exploration I found
    it a well-integrated program, with an intuitive interface.
    ---------

    I never had any response from you or anyone else here to that post.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 10, 2007
  15. "Gene" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >BTW - while I'm thinking ~ fully automating repetitive PC tasks, would
    >someone post a link to a freeware program that records your mouse & keyboard
    >clicks & generates a batch file thing for running multiple Windows apps?
    >Some years ago, I had what was called a "Keyboard Macro Recorder" that worked
    >great for repetitive tasks, but I lost it along the way. I did a Google, but
    >did not find anything that looked good, and free:) I'll pay, but there should be a
    >lot of free stuff out there by now - just can't fine one.

    I use two. One is Stiletto, but that's now long obsolete and replaced
    by Power-Pro. But the other is Macro Express, from
    http://www.macros.com

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 10, 2007
  16. youarehappyhey

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Included with the Nero package is also "NeroVision"
    >>which insists on re-encoding perfectly good DVD
    >>compliant MPEG.

    > Ken:
    >
    > You make this point frequently, but do you have (current) hard
    > evidence please?

    > challenged them about your warning that NVE re-encoded unnecessarily,
    > and posted their reply here:
    >
    > Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd.authoring
    > Subject: Re: Nero 7
    > Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006
    >
    > Here's an extract from that post:
    >
    > ---------
    > "It is definetly not true that Nero Vision Express 3 recodes
    > everything needlessly.
    > Nero Vision Express provides a feature named "Smart Encoding".
    > If activated Nero Vision Express will check your file and only recode
    > if needed.
    > The feature can be found this way: Start Nero Vision Express and click
    > on "More"->"Default Video Options"
    >
    > I haven't yet tried this, but aim to revisit NVE soon and give it
    > another chance. On balance, during my early brief exploration I found
    > it a well-integrated program, with an intuitive interface.
    > ---------
    >
    > I never had any response from you or anyone else here to that post.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    The latest Nero package I have is 6 Ultra. If they are saying
    that it works correctly in 7 or some patch to 6, fine I would like
    to know that myself. Let me know how your revisit goes.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 10, 2007
  17. "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Included with the Nero package is also "NeroVision"
    >>>which insists on re-encoding perfectly good DVD
    >>>compliant MPEG.

    >> Ken:
    >>
    >> You make this point frequently, but do you have (current) hard
    >> evidence please?

    >> challenged them about your warning that NVE re-encoded unnecessarily,
    >> and posted their reply here:
    >>
    >> Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd.authoring
    >> Subject: Re: Nero 7
    >> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006
    >>
    >> Here's an extract from that post:
    >>
    >> ---------
    >> "It is definetly not true that Nero Vision Express 3 recodes
    >> everything needlessly.
    >> Nero Vision Express provides a feature named "Smart Encoding".
    >> If activated Nero Vision Express will check your file and only recode
    >> if needed.
    >> The feature can be found this way: Start Nero Vision Express and click
    >> on "More"->"Default Video Options"
    >>
    >> I haven't yet tried this, but aim to revisit NVE soon and give it
    >> another chance. On balance, during my early brief exploration I found
    >> it a well-integrated program, with an intuitive interface.
    >> ---------
    >>
    >> I never had any response from you or anyone else here to that post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, West Sussex, UK

    > The latest Nero package I have is 6 Ultra. If they are saying
    >that it works correctly in 7 or some patch to 6, fine I would like
    >to know that myself. Let me know how your revisit goes.

    I have Nero 6 too. More specifically, here's what the Nero Information
    Tool says I have under the 'Software' tab, on this XP SP1 Home PC:

    Program Version
    ------------------------- -----------
    Nero Burning ROM 6, 6, 0, 16
    Nero StartSmart 2, 0, 0, 26
    NeroVision 3,1,0,16 <---
    Nero ShowTime 2, 0, 0, 44
    Nero Recode 2 2, 2, 6, 17
    Cover Designer 2, 3, 0, 47
    Nero BackItUp Application 1, 2, 0, 54

    I don't think the 'Nero' version, 6 in our case, is directly related
    to the NVE version. But then, I've always found Nero's program naming
    and updating/upgrading rather confusing.

    Anyway, on the point at issue, my 'revisit' of NVE was some time ago.
    As far as I can tell it *doesn't* re-encode existing DVD-ready MPG
    files.

    On the Burn Options page, use More > Video Options > General and
    ensure 'Enable SmartEncoding of video and audio material' is checked.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 10, 2007
  18. youarehappyhey

    Gene Guest

    Thank you, kind Sir :)

    I vaguely remember the name Stiletto, but it was not
    in my old source program data base (I usually keep a copy
    of ever version of code that I have ever used on a PC to
    the 198x's) - but it looks like I will not need it.

    I just successfully downloaded pwrpro47.zip from
    http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ and added it to the source
    file folder.

    In that it seems to be the premier product, and is free - I'll
    play with it first, then go to Macro Express if needed.

    Hopefully, I can take Power-Pro and create a batch file thing
    that will allow me to "automatically" create two finalized 1.5hr
    DVD-Rs directly from one MiniDV or D8 tape . The goal is to
    plug my camcorder into my PC via TI firewire, place two blank
    DVD-Rs in two attached DVD burners (USB2 & IDE) and start the
    macro playback at bedtime. I hope to awake to a rewound camcorder
    and two open DVD burner trays containing two finalized DVDs
    (preferably verified) both DVDs will be stuffed to at least 95%+
    capacity. Each of the burned DVDs will have a very simple menu,
    and chapter (skip) marks inserted every 5 or 6 minutes. All done
    automatically, while I sleep:)

    It's sad that there are no current software All-in-One packages that will do
    this simple task, that is, be 100% automatic from start to finish. It's of
    no help if you have to get up at 2:00AM to select an option, being the SAME
    option that you select each & every time you perform this simple job.
    However,
    I have reason to believe that a software producer somewhere will "ADD" this
    simple
    feature to their existing package. Please understand that this software
    provider
    would never take away an option that you like. This would be an ADDITION,
    and
    not a replacement, for the old way of manually doing the job with multiple,
    and
    unrelated PC programs, etc.
    LOL - you can still get up at 2:00AM if you are a perfectionist - I choose
    to sleep:)

    Again, THANKS for your help!

    Gene

    Gene, Feb 10, 2007
  19. "Gene" <> wrote:

    >Thank you, kind Sir :)
    >
    >I vaguely remember the name Stiletto, but it was not
    >in my old source program data base (I usually keep a copy
    >of ever version of code that I have ever used on a PC to
    >the 198x's) - but it looks like I will not need it.
    >
    >I just successfully downloaded pwrpro47.zip from
    >http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ and added it to the source
    >file folder.
    >
    >In that it seems to be the premier product, and is free - I'll
    >play with it first, then go to Macro Express if needed.
    >
    >Hopefully, I can take Power-Pro and create a batch file thing
    >that will allow me to "automatically" create two finalized 1.5hr
    >DVD-Rs directly from one MiniDV or D8 tape . The goal is to
    >plug my camcorder into my PC via TI firewire, place two blank
    >DVD-Rs in two attached DVD burners (USB2 & IDE) and start the
    >macro playback at bedtime. I hope to awake to a rewound camcorder
    >and two open DVD burner trays containing two finalized DVDs
    >(preferably verified) both DVDs will be stuffed to at least 95%+
    >capacity. Each of the burned DVDs will have a very simple menu,
    >and chapter (skip) marks inserted every 5 or 6 minutes. All done
    >automatically, while I sleep:)
    >
    >It's sad that there are no current software All-in-One packages that will do
    >this simple task, that is, be 100% automatic from start to finish. It's of
    >no help if you have to get up at 2:00AM to select an option, being the SAME
    >option that you select each & every time you perform this simple job.
    >However,
    >I have reason to believe that a software producer somewhere will "ADD" this
    >simple
    >feature to their existing package. Please understand that this software
    >provider
    >would never take away an option that you like. This would be an ADDITION,
    >and
    >not a replacement, for the old way of manually doing the job with multiple,
    >and
    >unrelated PC programs, etc.
    >LOL - you can still get up at 2:00AM if you are a perfectionist - I choose
    >to sleep:)
    >
    >Again, THANKS for your help!
    >
    >Gene

    Stiletto is a powerful program. I have it running permanently and I'd
    be lost without it. PowerPro is even more versatile. But I had a major
    investment in Stiletto and unfortunately the automatic conversion of
    my configuration proved problematic, and I didn't want to start from
    scratch. So I've reconciled myself to using the obsolete product. It
    has a scripting facility and I'm sure the PowerPro equivalent will be
    well up to the project you have in mind.

    I share your enthusiasm for automating complex tasks! And if you
    succeed in your DVD project I'd be grateful for a copy of your script
    or macro command listing, as a basis for attempting something similar.

    For me, Macro Express has the advantage of being simpler to use for
    developing more complex macros. I've turned to it only recently.

    However, I've found that with both of these (and other macro/scripting
    programs I've used, and VBA with Word and Excel), the development of
    extensive macros like the one you've outlined inevitably pose all
    sorts of issues and pitfalls. Just when you think you have one running
    sweetly, it's apt to run amok. Usually when you've gone for a coffee!
    So I'll be keen to hear of your progress please ;-)

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 10, 2007
  20. youarehappyhey

    Gene Guest

    Yes, I will be happy to post the final results in here -
    assuming I remember, age you know :)

    Yeah, KB & mouse, etc. macro generators can work great,
    but if you have a tape / disc error, power glitch, etc. - it's a
    50/50 bet that you will be successful.

    Having said the above, "this is the BEST vehicle out there
    at this time".

    I have briefly read some of the PowerPro help files, and
    it looks like a GREAT program - MUCH better than I expected.

    I will probably use it for a lot of things that I have not given thought
    to, like eBay timers to watch auctions, etc...

    Anyway - THANKS for the help!

    Gene

    Gene, Feb 10, 2007