Help and advise please!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by James Devney, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. James Devney

    James Devney Guest

    Hi all.

    My second (but very similar ;-)) post to these groups & I'm (still)
    cross posting! Apologies for that, but I'm still not sure which group is
    best for my query.

    Hopefully this one will get past your filters!

    Please feel free to set follow-ups to the appropriate group.

    After many (10+) years of happy snapping on an ancient Canon AV-1
    (35-70mm), I've finally taken the plunge and gone Digital.

    After a fair amount of research I chose the Sigma SD9 with 17-35mm
    f/2.8-4 EX DG Aspherical HSM lens. This gives me a nice angle of view,
    together with the option of taking a 'normal' image.

    Now, I've had this a few months and would like to extend my range by
    purchasing a zoom lens for the camera. I've effectively narrowed this
    down to either of the following:

    Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 ASPHERICAL COMPACT MACRO
    Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 ASPHERICAL MACRO HYPERZOOM

    This primarily due to the exclusive cost of high-end EX lenses.

    Now for the queries:

    1. With the sensor being 1.67 times smaller than a 35mm film, are the
    distortions (barrel & pin-cushion) associated with the lenses above
    minimised because the image circle is correspondingly larger?

    2. With the added colour depth (possibly wrong terminology there), and
    sensor resolution being that much greater with the Foveon sensor, could
    this mitigate the reports of image softening that I've heard attributed
    to these lenses? Especially with respect to the post-image-processing?

    3. Finally, do any of you have experience with these lenses & am I going
    to be disappointed when comparing the images to those taken with my EX lens?

    FYI - I generally take images at MAX resolution, and print images no
    greater than A4 in size.

    Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

    Cheers,
    --
    JD.
    Mozilla User :eek:)
    ----------------
    James Devney, Aug 17, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. James Devney wrote:

    > Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.


    Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Aug 18, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. James Devney

    Nick J Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >
    >
    > James Devney wrote:
    >
    >> Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

    >
    >
    > Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier
    >




    You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.

    No need to thank me for this advice.

    ;-)
    Nick J, Aug 18, 2004
    #3
  4. James Devney

    James Devney Guest

    On 18/08/2004 03:45, Nick J wrote:
    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> James Devney wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apologies for the long post, but TIA for any advice.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Right - "advice" - so why did you put "advise" in the title?
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
    >
    > No need to thank me for this advice.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Well, he's right - I actually meant 'advice'.
    Late night,
    Long day,
    What can I say?

    Poetry?! ;-)

    My queries were answered on my original post in any case.

    Cheers,
    --
    JD.
    Mozilla User :eek:)
    ----------------
    James Devney, Aug 18, 2004
    #4
  5. Nick J wrote:

    > You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
    >
    > No need to thank me for this advice.


    OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Aug 18, 2004
    #5
  6. James Devney

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:57:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Nick J wrote:
    >
    >> You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
    >>
    >> No need to thank me for this advice.

    >
    > OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?


    No it's not. I think Nick is saying "advise" is correct if "help" is being
    used as a verb. There was no context to clarify it as in "[I need] help and
    advice please" rather than "Help and advise [me] please". The OP said it was
    a typo so now we know :)

    --
    John Bean

    My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right
    out of the bottle (Henny Youngman)
    John Bean, Aug 18, 2004
    #6
  7. James Devney

    Nick J Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:57:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >>Nick J wrote:
    >>>You should be advised that the use of either word is correct.
    >>>
    >>>No need to thank me for this advice.

    >>
    >>OK, I'll bite - is "advise" for a noun a Britishism?

    >
    >
    > No it's not. I think Nick is saying "advise" is correct if "help" is being
    > used as a verb. There was no context to clarify it as in "[I need] help and
    > advice please" rather than "Help and advise [me] please". The OP said it was
    > a typo so now we know :)
    >



    exactly.

    'Advice' is a noun, 'Advise' is a verb, 'Help' can be either.


    A symptom of my crappy day that I should probably have wrapped within

    <pedant>

    </pedant>

    but I did put in a smiley :)

    Nick
    Nick J, Aug 18, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?cGFmb3M=?=

    Wireless Network help/advise needed please

    =?Utf-8?B?cGFmb3M=?=, Jan 21, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    646
    Doug Sherman [MVP]
    Jan 21, 2006
  2. tpg comcntr

    HELP! HELP! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

    tpg comcntr, Feb 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    874
    michael turner
    Feb 15, 2004
  3. alpha

    Newbee needs email advise....Please Help!

    alpha, Mar 25, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    452
  4. alpha

    need help...please advise

    alpha, Mar 29, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    308
  5. richard

    check a site and advise please

    richard, Jan 13, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    526
    Zhai Pang Yuen
    Jan 13, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page