Help!! all dvd work except one

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by linux4me2u@yahoo.ca, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hi everyone

    I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
    See that posting for details.

    Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
    except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
    play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
    intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
    good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
    problem with sound and picture.

    I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
    Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.

    What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
    player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?

    I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
    and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
    sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
    when playing the movie itself.

    No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
    considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
    way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
    becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

    thanks

    J S
    , Feb 20, 2004

  2. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
    > See that posting for details.
    >

    > Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
    > except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
    > play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
    > intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
    > good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
    > problem with sound and picture.
    >
    > I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
    > Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.
    >
    > What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
    > player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?
    >
    > I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
    > and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
    > sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
    > when playing the movie itself.
    >
    > No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
    > considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
    > way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
    > becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

    My recollection is that Casablanca is in Dolby Digital 1.0. If it is (and
    I'm relying on memory so I could well be wrong) then it's possible to
    connect a player in such a way that you'd hear no sound -- IF it's a player
    that has its own Dolby Digital decoder.

    Such players have 6 analog audio outputs (2 fronts, 2 surrounds, center,
    sub). Sometimes the front l/r jacks do double duty as stereo l/r jacks when
    the player is set up for 2-channel analog output. In such a situation, IF
    the player was set up to output multichannel audio to its 6 analog outputs,
    and IF you had a 1.0 movie, the sound would be sent only to the center
    channel output, and you would get silence from the front l/r outputs.

    A lot of "ifs." But i can't offhand think of another explanation that covers
    the facts as you've presented them.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Feb 20, 2004

  3. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone
    > >
    > > I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
    > > See that posting for details.
    > >

    > > Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
    > > except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
    > > play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
    > > intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
    > > good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
    > > problem with sound and picture.
    > >
    > > I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
    > > Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.
    > >
    > > What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
    > > player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?
    > >
    > > I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
    > > and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
    > > sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
    > > when playing the movie itself.
    > >
    > > No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
    > > considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
    > > way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
    > > becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

    > My recollection is that Casablanca is in Dolby Digital 1.0. If it is (and
    > I'm relying on memory so I could well be wrong) then it's possible to
    > connect a player in such a way that you'd hear no sound -- IF it's a

    player
    > that has its own Dolby Digital decoder.
    >
    > Such players have 6 analog audio outputs (2 fronts, 2 surrounds, center,
    > sub). Sometimes the front l/r jacks do double duty as stereo l/r jacks

    when
    > the player is set up for 2-channel analog output. In such a situation, IF
    > the player was set up to output multichannel audio to its 6 analog

    outputs,
    > and IF you had a 1.0 movie, the sound would be sent only to the center
    > channel output, and you would get silence from the front l/r outputs.
    >
    > A lot of "ifs." But i can't offhand think of another explanation that

    covers
    > the facts as you've presented them.
    >
    > RichC

    It would be a strange situation. Let's just assume (and I don't mean to
    offend the original poster) that if you cannot get a newer TV, with inputs
    (RF modulator = no inputs), then you didn't buy an expensive DVD player.

    Now, since only expensive players have the 6 analog outputs, which is only
    needed if you have a 5.1 receiver that for some reason (the very first ones,
    really) didn't have a Dolby Digital decoder chip in it, or didn't have
    digitial inputs, then you need that expensive player (or a new receiver).

    That said, one option would be to get a 5.1 surround sound, that's a rather
    large leap from my DVD won't play sound, but it should work, providing the
    disc is normal to begin with.

    The Dolby 1.0 theory would work, since it would be coming out of the center
    channel, but again, the expensive player is probably not the one being used.

    Moreover, I did a quick little research, and came back with this page:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/dvd
    Reading it, you quickly discover that *all* releases of Casalanca have been
    in Dolby 2.0. That would be the L/R speakers, not the center, so that
    theory is quickly dashed.

    My only reccomendation would be to try it on a friend's player, or on a PC.
    If it won't work on a friend's, then it is the disc, and you should be able
    to get it replaced (either from the store or by the producer of the DVD).
    If it does work, then it is something with your player. What it could be, I
    don't really know, there's nothing really in there that would make it not
    work just because of your lack of inputs.
    Anonymous Joe, Feb 21, 2004
  4. "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    used.

    > Moreover, I did a quick little research, and came back with this page:
    > http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/dvd
    > Reading it, you quickly discover that *all* releases of Casalanca have

    been
    > in Dolby 2.0. That would be the L/R speakers, not the center, so that
    > theory is quickly dashed.
    >
    > My only reccomendation would be to try it on a friend's player, or on a

    PC.
    > If it won't work on a friend's, then it is the disc, and you should be

    able
    > to get it replaced (either from the store or by the producer of the DVD).
    > If it does work, then it is something with your player. What it could be,

    > don't really know, there's nothing really in there that would make it not
    > work just because of your lack of inputs.

    BZZZzzzzt! Wrong!

    I have Casablanca ... the Warner Bros. 2 disc special edition. The
    soundtrack is Dolby Digital Mono. That's Dolby 1.0. The commentaries (?sp)
    and ancillaries are in Dolby Stereo (Dolby 2.0).

    The OP has a problem with his player or his hookup. He simply ain't playing
    the mono soundtrack. He's got a problem with this and doesn't want to accept
    that his player or hookup is wrong, but that is exactly where the problem
    lies.

    The disc is fine ... the OP has a problem.
    Colon Terminus, Feb 21, 2004