Help adding a switch to my network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Billz, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Billz

    Billz Guest

    My home network is running thru a Netgear FWG114P "Wireless
    Firewall/Print Server". My apartment is wired so that 10 different
    locations are run into 1 closet. It runs problem free for both its
    wired and wireless connections. It's connected to a cable modem for
    Internet access.

    I swap in and out the 6 connections which I don't have room for in
    the Netgear unit depending on the location I need to connect from.

    I recently brought home from my office Bay Networks BayStack 350T-HD
    10/100 Autosense Switch with 24 ports.

    I thought I could simply plug all of my computer connections into the
    switch then the switch into the Netgear unit. Keep the Netgear unit
    uplink to the modem and I would be done. But, none of the computer
    connections worked. Also the only light on the switch that came on was
    the one leading to the Netgear unit.

    I tried cross-over cables in each connection and while the light came
    on for the switch to Netgear connection (as it had before) nothing else
    seemed to connect with a cross-over cable.

    Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Does the switch belong at a
    different place in the process?

    Many thanks in advance
    Billz, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Hi
    The BayStack 350T-HD, is managed switch and needs special connection and
    specail configuration in odrer to work corretly. It is an unnecessary
    overkill to use it for your purpose.
    Get your self a simple "Normal Switch".
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 12, 2006

  3. Billz

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:23:06 +0300, Billz <> wrote:

    > I thought I could simply plug all of my computer connections into the
    > switch then the switch into the Netgear unit.

    This was your correct expectation, it should work.

    I can't help you to debug this problem. All I can suggest is to try to
    clean all the contacts and try again.
    If you plug a cable (the other end connected to Netgear) in client's
    sockets - do LEDs light up?
    Do you use the same cables as before?
    Is the switch powered properly?

    Tony.