    ever else can be done

    can anyone help ?

    thanks
    SoWeezy, Aug 7, 2007

  2. SoWeezy

    Paul Guest

    SoWeezy wrote:
    > this laptop, for some unknown reason, has a partitioned HDD split
    > equally
    > partition 1 is C: and partition 2 is D:
    > problem is C:, which the OS is loaded on, is full and I don't know how
    > to get it to use D: as default, how to merge the 2 partitions or what
    > ever else can be done
    >
    > can anyone help ?
    >
    > thanks

    There could be an additional partition, hidden, and several GB in size.

    This is the user manual.
    There is a section entitled "Restore without a Recovery CD"

    http://csd.acer.com.tw/acer/URMUL1.NSF/1af87a750eeeb70f0825628f006e0bfc/3760015b151b4a57482570000012d348/$FILE/TM2310-ENG-OLM%5B1%5D.pdf

    "Restore without a Recovery CD

    This recovery process helps you restore the C: drive with the original
    software content that is installed when you purchase your notebook.
    Follow the steps below to rebuild your C: drive. (Your C: drive will be
    *reformatted* and all data will be *erased* .) It is important to back up all
    data files before you use this option."

    Now, if the recovery procedure is going to wipe C:, maybe they provided the
    D: drive, as a safe place to put your stuff, so the recovery procedure
    wouldn't wipe it out.

    There are utilities, like Partition Magic, that can adjust partition
    sizes. That would make it possible to balance the needs of C: and D:

    So, to start, I'd want to understand exactly what is on the drive
    (C:, D:, hidden recovery). Then understand whether resizing C: and
    stealing from D: is possible.

    The bigger you make C:, the more stuff gets wiped (and needs to be
    backed up), if you use the Disk-to-Disk (D2D) recovery procedure,
    or even if you do a clean install from your Windows CD.

    It is possible, sometimes, when installing software, to specify the
    drive they are put on. I had one machine, where the majority of my
    "Program Files" were installed on D: . But in your case, even if
    you install your applications that way, the D2D recovery would wipe
    out all knowledge of their install, so you'd also end up deleting the
    Program Files on the D: drive, and reinstalling them again. Even
    with the existence of C: and D:, the "complete wipe" option will
    still mean a lot of work.

    A Windows Repair Install is less destructive, and would remember that
    your programs were installed on D: . But if the machine didn't come
    with a Windows CD, it is going to be more difficult to do it that
    way.

    The time to think about the recovery procedures, is when the unit is
    new. There may be a procedure for burning recovery CDs, which is
    handy if the hard drive fails, and the unit is out of warranty.
    Or, sometimes, for a nominal handling fee, the laptop manufacturer
    may make available, recovery CDs. They don't generally like to
    ship them with the unit.

    Check the documentation or check with Acer Tech Support, as to
    exactly which options they support. Their D2D would not be my
    preferred option, and I'd like to have more choices as to how
    I managed the machine.

    So, yes, you can try resizing the partitions, with a third
    party utility, but that will not change certain aspects of
    what you'll lose if there are problems. D2D only works if
    the hard drive is still healthy. D2D doesn't work when the
    hard drive is dead. At that point, you'd want a CD, to reload
    the hard drive.

    I notice the Acer manual mentions a backup program. There
    is also a chapter "Create factory default image CD", which is
    the thing you'd do when the unit is new.

    The manual is a jolly good read :) And may hint at why they
    designed the thing with two partitions C: and D:, to prevent
    wiping C:, from removing all your files. What you put on D:
    is safe. At least, until the hard drive fails entirely.

    Do regular backups of the important stuff, to removable media.
    Then, when the hard drive fails, you haven't lost everything.
    Don't forget to include your email database files.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2007

  3. SoWeezy

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 7, 1:30 pm, SoWeezy <> wrote:
    > this laptop, for some unknown reason, has a partitioned HDD split
    > equally
    > partition 1 is C: and partition 2 is D:
    > problem is C:, which the OS is loaded on, is full and I don't know how
    > to get it to use D: as default, how to merge the 2 partitions or what
    > ever else can be done
    >
    > can anyone help ?
    >
    > thanks

    What do you mean "default"? C:\ has your os & is the default. D:\ is
    storage. If you install a program it goes to C:\program files. Do you
    want it to got to D:\program files?
    The normal way is to install into C:\program files. Use some of the
    remaining "space" on C: for d'loading/general work stuff but store in
    D:
    Perhaps your D: drive has not been formatted? Go to start>my
    computer>right-click on D:\ & format.
    sandy58, Aug 8, 2007