Help! A virus is blocking Zonealarm and AntiVir9X and slows down Win98

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Electric Bike & Scooter Guide, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. On or about the last day of the month (July 31) or the first of
    August, something activated itself that now, when Win 98 is booted, a
    virus or worm is removing my friend's "Luke Filewalker" Anti Virus 9x
    (from Germany, I think), its Download Scheduler, and the Zone Alarm
    that I installed. These programs' icons disappear from the taskbar.
    Also, the mouse and the screen starts to work in slow motion.

    We removed the modem cord just in case the nasty virus/worm (or
    spyware) tries to dial out.

    Other symptoms...

    1) Trying to reload Zonelabs' Zone Alarm doesn't load it.
    2) Running on old version of Luke Filewalker works, and speeds up the
    mouse to normal speed.

    If anybody has information on how to defeat this virus or worm think,
    kindly post. Thanks in advance for all replies.

    The computer configuration: Pentium II 266Mhz running Win 98. Uses
    Eudora email software.

    Electric Bike & Scooter Guide, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Electric Bike & Scooter Guide

    donut Guest

    (Electric Bike & Scooter Guide) wrote in

    > If anybody has information on how to defeat this virus or worm think,
    > kindly post. Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Go to symantec.com and look at the worm and virus definitions there.

    You must get an up to date AV on the computer and get it disinfected. Since
    it disables his current one, there's no way to do it with that one. There
    are many to choose from.

    It sounds a lot like the virus I got a year ago, which was Magistr-A.
    Coincidentally, I also use Eudora, and this is one of the viruses that can
    target Eudora. This virus also set about destroying MP3 files I had
    archived on another drive. I wouldn't even boot up the computer until I had
    a new AV ready to install on it.

    That's what I did, and the new AV immediately detected and quarantined it.

    donut, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Electric Bike & Scooter Guide

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 2 Aug 2003 08:28:48 -0700, (Electric
    Bike & Scooter Guide) wrote:

    <snip>

    There is a handy program from McAfee called stinger which
    does run under windows and removes some of the common
    recent problems, see their website.

    You can also inspect whats running with ctrl/alt./del and cancel
    anything suspicious from memory before running it. thats not
    100% but is a good precaution,
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Re: SPYBOT DIDN'T FIX IT was Re: Help! A virus .....

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Any other suggestions?

    read the rest of his/her suggestions and try it again. you missed a few
    steps. (you didn't READ everything).

    also try another a/v like f-secure or f-prot.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

    Everything about Usenet answered:
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

    America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    Colonel Flagg, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Re: SPYBOT DIDN'T FIX IT was Re: Help! A virus .....

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "mto" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...
    > > > >

    > > > read the rest of his/her suggestions and try it again. you missed a few
    > > > steps. (you didn't READ everything).
    > > >
    > > > also try another a/v like f-secure or f-prot.

    > > I suspect the only way to adequately run another av program on the machine
    > > is to install the HD as a slave.

    > Sorry - haven't yet had coffee. Obviously I mean install the hard drive as
    > a slave in another machine that has an adequate. up to date antivirus
    > program.

    f-prot has a free dos utility. boot the machine to dos, either through
    the use of a boot floppy (with ntfs support if the drive is ntfs), copy
    the appropriate files over (from cd, whatever), run f-prot for dos.

    considering most new viruses are targetted toward windows and do nothing
    to the filesystem until windows comes up, this usually takes care of
    virus problems BEFORE windows loads.

    Colonel Flagg, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Electric Bike & Scooter Guide

    mto Guest

    Re: SPYBOT DIDN'T FIX IT was Re: Help! A virus .....

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "mto" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote

    in
    > > > message news:...

    few

    > > > I suspect the only way to adequately run another av program on the

    machine
    > > > is to install the HD as a slave.

    > > Sorry - haven't yet had coffee. Obviously I mean install the hard drive

    as
    > > a slave in another machine that has an adequate. up to date antivirus
    > > program.
    > >

    > f-prot has a free dos utility. boot the machine to dos, either through
    > the use of a boot floppy (with ntfs support if the drive is ntfs), copy
    > the appropriate files over (from cd, whatever), run f-prot for dos.
    >
    > considering most new viruses are targetted toward windows and do nothing
    > to the filesystem until windows comes up, this usually takes care of
    > virus problems BEFORE windows loads.

    Thanks for that Colonel. Sounds like a program worth having handy.

    mto, Aug 5, 2003